Sign in to follow this  
toon vw

A bit of Sherry anyone ?

Well after quite a while & after viewing a few i eventually picked up my latest aquisition from welsh wales!!

Not really much to tell you about it at the minute as its a very standard '94' VR6 other than the 17" alloys but i also have the speedlines which i think i'm gonna put back on anyway.

Its done just under 64k miles by 2 owners, the guy i've just picked it up from has had it 8 years & used it mainly as a weekend car as he's only done about 20k in it, i have all the mot's & a full service book full of lovely stamps :clap:

As i say i picked it up from wales yeasterday which was a lovely drive other than when it rained or snowed & could only see about a 1/3 of the windscreen :shock: so the obligitory aero wipers have already been ordered :lol:

Short term the speedlines are going back on i think & i will be lowering it somehow (open to suggestions on that), not sure about coilies or just springs/shocks as it will be my daily runabout so don't want anything hardcore.

Anyway a few pics i think......

My first rado was in this colour. I think as soon as the sun comes out there is no better colour, looks gorgeous!

Very nice. Think carefully about lowering it. You have the nice early VR6 spring set up there. It sits nice and level without the late VR6 skyscraper rear springs. It will look spot on with the speedlines back on. Maybe put new oe shocks on and it will be very drivable on our lousy roads. I lowered my Storm and was never that happy. I now have an L plate VR with the earlier lower springs like yours and with new shocks fitted its spot on. A lot of cars with original springs have tired shocks and feel a bit wallowey but it feels spot on when new shocks are fitted.

Thanks for the replies & positive comments guys, regards the lowering i know what you mean about the ride quality David which i reckon is pretty good as standard but its just the height i'm not a fan of, reckon about 40mm lower & it just about looks right but can still be used everyday without too much trouble.

Goldie mate i think the KW's are out of my range for what i want to pay, i'm maybe looking around the £400 mark, but i know you get what you pay for in the end.

Been pretty happy with my Koni STR.T setup. Cost £300, and drops the car by 40mm - its fixed height / ride but it seems to be pretty spot on from a handling and comfort point of view.

Car looks absolutely beautiful by the way. Great colour and nice mileage. And of course, VR6 power :)

Been pretty happy with my Koni STR.T setup. Cost £300, and drops the car by 40mm - its fixed height / ride but it seems to be pretty spot on from a handling and comfort point of view.

Car looks absolutely beautiful by the way. Great colour and nice mileage. And of course, VR6 power :)

Thanks Jim i was actually thinking about that set up, i'm not really bothered about adjustable height , just want it sitting a nice ride height with a good quality ride & feel & of course the price is about right by the time i get someone to fit it aswell.

huzzarr!!! :D pleased you've finally got one & a minter at that! look forward to seeing it in the flesh! i'll be interested to hear what suspension set up you go for as i'll be going down the same route when mine's eventually fixed! good work fella :clap:

Thanks Jim i was actually thinking about that set up, i'm not really bothered about adjustable height , just want it sitting a nice ride height with a good quality ride & feel & of course the price is about right by the time i get someone to fit it aswell.

If it helps, I think Stealth quote around £476 for that kit, fitted. I'm assuming that doesnt include any extra bits you might need when they build up the shock - like if your bump stops or worn, or if your spring plates have had it, top mounts etc..

I built mine up completely using all brand new VW suspension stuff (every single bolt, bit of rubber, etc) which added another £170 odd to the cost of the suspension kit but that was offset by doing the work myself rather than getting it done at Stealth. Its nice to know I can pretty much forget about suspension on the car now.

Beautiful 8)

Was looking for one like that myself, but they're very rare in that colour :D

Thanks, i was'nt particularly looking for that colour, its not one of my favourites if i'm honest but when its clean & the sun hits it then it does look beautiful 8) & you're right there is'nt that many knocking around either.

huzzarr!!! :D pleased you've finally got one & a minter at that! look forward to seeing it in the flesh! i'll be interested to hear what suspension set up you go for as i'll be going down the same route when mine's eventually fixed! good work fella :clap:

Hey mate how you doing or more importantly hows your car doing ? :lol:

Yeah just got it yesterday & gave a good clean this morning when the sun briefly came out (it bloody needed it aswell :roll: )

Its not mint i would'nt say but it ain't too bad either, a good base definately with the mileage on it.

You got shot of that pile of jap doo doo yet then ?

If it helps, I think Stealth quote around £476 for that kit, fitted. I'm assuming that doesnt include any extra bits you might need when they build up the shock - like if your bump stops or worn, or if your spring plates have had it, top mounts etc..

I built mine up completely using all brand new VW suspension stuff (every single bolt, bit of rubber, etc) which added another £170 odd to the cost of the suspension kit but that was offset by doing the work myself rather than getting it done at Stealth. Its nice to know I can pretty much forget about suspension on the car now.

Cheers for the info Jim, wish i had the ability to do it myself but i would'nt have a clue so need to rely on other people i'm afraid :roll:

Its actually surprisingly not hard. I've said it a million times before but i'm a complete novice when it comes to doing this work. I was working under the supervision of 2cc and whilst I didn't do every single bit of the swap myself, I watched him doing some of it and didn't feel lost or unable to do any of what was going on at any point.

If you can find a technically competent friend to help out, you can do the entire swap in an easy 4 hours assuming everything comes off without a fight :) Then get yourself down to a tyre centre for a full wheel alignment.

Its actually surprisingly not hard. I've said it a million times before but i'm a complete novice when it comes to doing this work. I was working under the supervision of 2cc and whilst I didn't do every single bit of the swap myself, I watched him doing some of it and didn't feel lost or unable to do any of what was going on at any point.

If you can find a technically competent friend to help out, you can do the entire swap in an easy 4 hours assuming everything comes off without a fight :) Then get yourself down to a tyre centre for a full wheel alignment.

If only.... :(

Thats a very nice Rado.

Are those Masitaly VT7's I see on it?

Fantastic wheels those, had them on my last Astra GSI.

They arent made anymore and very hard to get hold of so if you take them off dont sell them cheap

Thats a very nice Rado.

Are those Masitaly VT7's I see on it?

Fantastic wheels those, had them on my last Astra GSI.

They arent made anymore and very hard to get hold of so if you take them off dont sell them cheap

Thanks mate i've just googled them & they are the very same, they do seem pretty popular like, i just checked ebay & saw there was none so just stuck them on parts for sale on here for £100, do you think i'm gonna do myself like?

toonvw

Don't change the suspension....stick the speedlines back on and leave it totally OEM........that car looks brand new :D

Lovely colour

Stevie_F

hi andy, still got the mr2 but it's all fixed-ish so it's going on fleabay in the next day or two. corrado's getting inspected on thursday so fingers crossed it's good news! getting frustrated coz i've got all the bits in me kitchen just waiting for the go ahead!(hope i haven't jumped the gun there!) all being well & good will hopefully make a start this weekend!

i see you're selling the wheels all ready, you putting it back to standard then? i always thought sherry pearl was darker than what yours looks so i'm looking forward to seeing it, your car looks the colour of irn bru in the pics! :lol:

apart from the suspension & obviously the wipers what you got planned for it, owt exciting?

Lovely looking car .To be honest I know what you mean about choice of colour but with milage like that and I presume the price was right also it would be a sin to not buy it.

The one I recently bought is now turning in to my daily drive so looking to change the suspension also.Keen to see what you aim for and how it works out.

And hey if it is quite a rare colour guess who also feels good :)

No big plans at the moment really, just want it looking as good as possible (like everyone else), just inquired about some 288 brakes so might be upgrading sometime in the future maybe.

I have some money set aside for a suspension set up so will probably be getting something sooner rather than later, but i don't know what yet :shrug:

Just been out trying to change my wheels over to put the speedlines on but the previous owner has put these metal covers over the locking wheel nuts & could i get them off :censored: ...erm no !!so it might be off to the garage to ask for some assistance :camp: I might even get them refurbed before they go on aswell cos they are'nt the best tbh.

As regards the colour, i think in the summer when i can keep it clean it will look stunning but tbh i think i have been spoiled with the colour of my previous 2 c's, first was my aqua pearl vr then my blackberry valver which arguably are the 2 best colours around but i bought this one with the mileage being in the forefront of my mind & tbh the engine is very quiet indeed unless i play with the loud pedal that is :norty:

Thanks for the comments guys.

Very nice indeed, especially with that mileage.

About the colour - I never set off looking for sherry pearl but it grew on me a lot after seeing it in the sun after a wash.

I'm not a fan of the wheels though - IMHO of course.

Very nice indeed, especially with that mileage.

About the colour - I never set off looking for sherry pearl but it grew on me a lot after seeing it in the sun after a wash.

I'm not a fan of the wheels though - IMHO of course.

Cheers, yeah i'm definately changing the wheels back to standard as soon as i get them refurbed of course. I've managed to fit THE most important mod there is for the rado.... 'aero wipers', honestly don't know how anyone manages without then tbh, this is my 3rd rado & my 3rd set of aero's i've fitted !!I have just bought a 288 brake set up from ' Bigpants' on here, so hopefully it won't be too long until i can stop with a bit more confidence aswell once i get some braided hoses & get it all fitted on:lol: