Sign in to follow this  
Philuk

Engine Bay Clean

has anyone done this with a PW, im scared to, have you got any pics of what you bagged up to stop water getting in. my engine bay is really dirty and i wanna clean it, ive got some APC which i will spray on the shuts and i will get some degreaser to use on it but i cant just tip a bucket of water over it to clean it, does the pressue washer just jet the water off without getting it soaking, would it be advised to have the engine running when ya do it?. stil scared to :p lol

Did it with mine yesterday, kept the engine running whilst I did it and allowed it to tickover afterwards until everything had dried out - no problems at all.

My engine wasn't that dirty but I'd probably advise that you use either neat APC or a degreaser if its really dirty

Just use Meguiars engine & machine cleaner Phil, awesome stuff i promise you...no scrubbing/washing off...a real pleasure to use and no worries about the electrics going tits up because of water....horror stories are plentiful with power washing engines.

I always find it best if you have the engine cold. If you try washing it while its hot the steam gets in everywhere and then it wont start.

with the meguairs did you just put it on neat and wipe it off? how did you get rid of the mess shall we call it lol

Phil, just spray on and wipe off straight away, no waiting needed and no mess....it's not a messy foam type spray that goes all over the shop....Dissolves oil/grease/grime in seconds, I can't recommend it enough.

I used some Comma stuff the other day on some suspension bits, out of the numerous degreasers that i've used this is the best.

Comes in a can, pour it into a pot, brush it on and wash it off again! everything i used it on came up looking like new.

Meguiars engine & machine cleaner is available from halfords £6.99 for 1 litre....3 for 2 offer on at the moment.

(sorry forgot to put ......engine & machine cleaner)

ill get some thru work i think :) advantages of working in car retail :p lol, what i means was what did you wash it off with or did you just wipe it straight off?