Sign in to follow this  
h51mon

Selling the Car to Oversea's Buyer...Update

Need some advise Fella's.

I am currently selling my wife's Golf Anniversary and have been contacted by another VW Enthusiast who lives in the south of Ireland.The plan is for him to have the Car Inspected by the AA prior to flying over and ferry back with car .

My dilema is although I have verified the buyer on another VAG site (Vagdriver.net) where he is a moderator the only method he wishes to pay buy is bankers draft .Have heard a lot of horror stories in relation to cancelled drafts etc.Once the car is gone and across the water I dont have a leg to stand on .Any other suggestions as he doesn't feel comfortable travelling with cash. Or do you know of any bad stories or losses.

Will appreciate any feed back Cheers..

Shouldn't be a problem with a bankers draft as its the bank that issues it after the buyers funds are clear and not before, you can easily check details of the draft with the issuing bank. HTH :)

EDIT: Also I dont think he would be getting an AA check done if he was some kind of scammer

After previous experiance i will only accept cash for a car.

When i sold my previous car i accepted a Cheque for a quick sale and i knew that the guy lived at the opposite end of the road where i live....no problem i thought. the problem was that he then decided that he didn't like the car for one reason or another and that he was cancelling the cheque, later that day the car appeared with a rattle of keys through my letterbox!!

I know this doesn't apply to your situation but the moral is that even if you think that everything will go well it sometimes wont, if i had the cash i would have been secure in the transaction and he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

There has to be trust in one direction when making a sale like this.

Your options will be;

1. Accept the bankers draft

2. Get him to draw the money out from the bank over here

3. Get the draft/transfer sent to you in enough time for it to clear before he gets here.

Don't get bullied into making a decision you're uncertain about, if they really want the car they should use options 2 or 3 if they don't you'll always find someone else willing to buy.

Only accept a draft if you and he can go to your bank and see it paid in.

People say that drafts are the safest way of taking payment but in my eyes they're pretty easy to forge. I'd only accept cash, or like I said, id accept a draft if the buyer is happy to come to my bank to make sure it clears.

After previous experiance i will only accept cash for a car.

When i sold my previous car i accepted a Cheque for a quick sale and i knew that the guy lived at the opposite end of the road where i live....no problem i thought. the problem was that he then decided that he didn't like the car for one reason or another and that he was cancelling the cheque, later that day the car appeared with a rattle of keys through my letterbox!!

I know this doesn't apply to your situation but the moral is that even if you think that everything will go well it sometimes wont, if i had the cash i would have been secure in the transaction and he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

There has to be trust in one direction when making a sale like this.

Your options will be;

1. Accept the bankers draft

2. Get him to draw the money out from the bank over here

3. Get the draft/transfer sent to you in enough time for it to clear before he gets here.

Don't get bullied into making a decision you're uncertain about, if they really want the car they should use options 2 or 3 if they don't you'll always find someone else willing to buy.

Good advise cheers mate..

Shouldn't be a problem with a bankers draft as its the bank that issues it after the buyers funds are clear and not before, you can easily check details of the draft with the issuing bank. HTH :)

EDIT: Also I dont think he would be getting an AA check done if he was some kind of scammer

Will look into this .Cheers.

Only accept a draft if you and he can go to your bank and see it paid in.

People say that drafts are the safest way of taking payment but in my eyes they're pretty easy to forge. I'd only accept cash, or like I said, id accept a draft if the buyer is happy to come to my bank to make sure it clears.

As we speak my wife is looking into the pro's and cons via our Bank.Thanks for the prompt feedback fella's.

All you need to know about bankers draft (when accepting one as payment for a car anyway) ......

Accept it ..... but you have to go into a local branch and ask them to verify with the branch that issued it that it's genuine. Hopefully it's a large bank that has a local branch to you.

Your own bank could accept it but they won't know if it's a fake until it's too late.

Although if he's a Moderator on an internet forum, what couldn't you trust him with?! :tongue:

I would strongly suggest him buying the banker's draft at a local Irish Bank with branches over here (Bank of Ireland is the only one I know of). He can then cash the draft at the bank and pay you in the branch.

Looks like the sale has fallen through..

The long and short is even if he aquired a Sterling bank draft from his bank(bank of Ireland) the sort code is classed as international and in stead of taking 3 days to process , could take upto 6 weeks .And we would not be able to securely draw against that until it had processed.What a nightmare .Still you learn something new everyday.

The only way around it would be for him to travel with money which he is not comfortable with.

Thanks for all the advice fella's.

The only way around it would be for him to travel with money which he is not comfortable with.

Whats wrong with travelling with money ?? People do it all the time :?

Whats wrong with travelling with money ?? People do it all the time :?

Not quite sure to be honest.I have always travelled with cash.Just end up looking like a mental patient due to the worry.Still looking like that nobody comes near me..

Why not travel over to him... have a bit of a break in lovely Ireland while you're at it... go on... you deserve a holiday!!!

:cheers: