Sign in to follow this  
Chris

please help vr6 not starting (fuel issue??) **Fixed**

ive done a vr conversion in my corrado which was a 2.0l 16v before this. the engine is a 2.9 abv from a corrado, 93-94 with a coil pack.

its all installed, wiring is in correctly too. when i turn the key its fires for a second then just cranks over afterwards.

the engine has been left standing for 2 years or so mind. ive changed the oil and put a couple of drops of oil down the spark plug holes to help with the compression which i believe is ok as the oil light goes out when i turn the key and crank it. changed the plugs after trying to start it afew times (so they are dry now). still no luck starting it though.

i checked the plugs again and they didnt seem to smell of fuel + they were bone dry.

put the plugs on the inlet and cranked it over, they all fire in time fine.

had an auto electrician over to check afew things,

16v fuel + lift pump working as they should when the key is turned

spark plugs all working and in time

pressure in the fuel rail

power to the injectors (injectors and spark plugs in time with each other)

it all seems to be working fine and seems very close to starting but just wont. checked all the plugs again after this and plug number 1 (closest to the air filter) seems to be firing (it was damp looking and had soot deposits on it), the rest were bone dry and smelt stale unlike number 1 which smelt like it was firing.

only thing that i can think is the injectors are knackered or clogged up due to the engine not running for such a long time.

its not an alarm or imob issue as the car doesnt have either. it just seems to me its a fuel problem as i wouldnt be getting as far as i am now. (spark + fuel + timing = motion) but like i said there is pressure in the rail and the electrics are working on the injectors. timing is fine too

am i right in thinking all this??

has anyone got any suggestions or has anyone had experience with this problem before?

If its not an immobilizer problem which it sounds like to me then try this. When I installed the vr in my mk2 I would try to start it and It would splutter then stop. Because it was rubbish mechanic day I had put the fuel hoses on the wrong way round. So it was sucking the fuel from the injectors. Double check this.

ive done a vr conversion in my corrado which was a 2.0l 16v before this. the engine is a 2.9 abv from a corrado, 93-94 with a coil pack.

has anyone got any suggestions or has anyone had experience with this problem before?

Hi

Which ECU are you using ?

im using the vr ecu, vr ignition loom, vr speedo loom, vr engine loom, vr key + steering column .theres no real reason why this shouldnt be working. fuels line are the right way round, ht leads are the right way round. ive got a feeling the injectors have packed up. i no one is letting by hence the slight firing, so it cant be an imob otherwise none of them would work as they are hooked up to the same electrical supply just pulsing at different times. its got to be something stupidly simple as there is fuel pressure, spark and timing present.

do injectors usually do this if left for years?? would sending them off to be cleaned be a better idea rather than replacing them? i no pricewise it would.

any advice guys

One of my favorite bodges.... Take all plugs out, inject a little petrol (no more than a tablespoons worth - 10cc)into the cylinders and replace plugs & HT leads then try and start it.

It 'should' run for a few seconds if all else bar the fuel system is working, but you'll have no control of the engine speed so be ready to kill the ignition if it tries to over-rev.

You could try and have someone spray some easy start type stuff into the air intake whilst trying to start it to see if this will catch.

They're both bodges but have worked for me on many engines in the past.

is unlikley the injectors have packed in,but to test take off the manifold and lift the rail out,with injectors in and point them to the air,crank over and look at the spary pattern,if any.(make sure the coil pack is unpluged)

have you got the knock sensor and lower crank sensor plug in the correct way and not mixed up?

does it pop or bang when trying to start? or just fire smooth then die?

shooting ides....

is unlikley the injectors have packed in,but to test take off the manifold and lift the rail out,with injectors in and point them to the air,crank over and look at the spary pattern,if any.(make sure the coil pack is unpluged)

have you got the knock sensor and lower crank sensor plug in the correct way and not mixed up?

does it pop or bang when trying to start? or just fire smooth then die?

shooting ides....

ill be testing them tomorrow i hope. crank sensor and knock sensor are the right way round i think. the plugs are different colours i believe one is white and one is blue. ive just matched the colours up.

it fires smooth after ive left it for awhile. after trying it once though it wont fire straight after. im assuming its just using fumes to give me that single fire.

i crimped the return line slightly to increase the rail pressure and its sound like it really wanted to fire.....on one cylinder though which is no good :)

i also checked that the plugs were sparking inside the head by add a couple of drops of fuel down each hole. it tried to fire after that but cut out pretty much straight away as afew drops clearly isnt enough for a vr :)

the plugs just dont smell right after trying to start it. they shouldnt smell stale should they? apart from plug number 1 though which looks and smells like its doing something

How old is your fuel? try some fresh fuel,have you got rail pressure? ive had a few seals deteriorate in the fuel pressure reg on the rail before might be worth checking,but by lifting the rail out you will find out.

right, think i've solved it. exactly what i first thought. only one injector is firing the other 5 dont even try. i checked the working injector on each of the electrical supplies, they all work, plus i tried it in all the injector positions, again it was the only one working.

so glad i know what it is now.

can injectors which dont fire at all be reconditioned or would you recommend i bought new injectors? i saw a post in the for sale section with a link to a company who do injector cleaning.

can i upgrade for better injectors? or is doing that on a standard vr a waste of time? i may supercharge it at the end of the summer thats why im thinking about the upgrade.

your thoughts please :)

ive got plenty used spare stock VR ones if you need any.

Would not waste time upgrading untill you supercharge it mate.

im definately interested, but its quite cheap to recon old injectors £12 each i think. ill find out about these ones first and ill get back to you :)

you can have 6 for £10 :wink:

if they will all definately work and will run a vr ill take them.

paypal? :)

paypal? :)[/quote:3chxciqg]

they have been removed from a working VR mate,PayPal is fine. [email protected].

Send me your address when you send money bud.

paypal? :)[/quote:34wfrlgz]

they have been removed from a working VR mate,PayPal is fine. [email protected].

Send me your address when you send money bud.[/quote:34wfrlgz]

£10 in total bud?

im definately gonna be playing with it all this weekend! shame i had to pick the grand prix weekend though :roll:

remember the day I fired my home build vr mk2 up. I danced round like a loon. Good work that man.

did your money arrive yet ben?

MY VR broke down yesterday, however managed to get it going again.

When trying to turn the engine over, sounds simular to what your describing.

Turned out the wee block containing 3 wires that plugs into the distributor had popped off due to a build up of static. Pushed it back on and it's running fine now. If your's is a dizzy may be worth checking it out.

Kris