Sign in to follow this  
cadmandoo

LEGAL ADVICE!

Hi, my car is currently out of MOT. I know I can drive legally it to garage for works to be carried out if pre-booked. However does anyone know if I can legally drive it to a friends house who has welding equipment to carry out the repair with no MOT? The car is insured but not taxed.

Any help greatfully recieved!

C

If you're in doubt, the answer is almost certainly "no"!

Unless your friend is a mechanic who accepts bookings I'd say you don't quite fulfil that requirement. Either tow it or get your friend to come to you?

And no tax either? I'd say your insurance is probably invalid if you tried to claim .. !!

an MOT is NOT gospel, sure your car needs to have one but you are granted grace to have repairs etc carried out or as you say drive it to a pre booked MOT test, you CANT tax a car without an MOT so you got no choice but to get it repaired, get it MOT`d and then tax it, Insurance is valid regardless, as others can claim off you anyway even if you had no mot or tax

Just dont drive it long distances and have the guy whos repairing its phone number to hand should you get stopped, have the failure sheet also and if you know when its gonna be ready? pre book the mot, courts dont hit too hard for no mot anyway and most police arent silly when it comes to common sense stuff to be fair :wave:

So long as you have a booked MOT you're OK to drive to the test station without a tax disk as you need one to get the other. I checked last year with my insurance as I had to do just the same thing. As far as driving to your mate's to get welding done I guess you'd be breaking a whole load of laws unless of course he's at the test station :lol: