Sign in to follow this  
Jules

1 tyre wearing badly!?

Just noticed tonight that my front passenger tyre is wearing pretty badly and and is mainly on both outer edges. the tyres were brand new on in October and the other 3 are still in new condition as the car does very little mileage.

The tyre pressure has been checked and is fine, however I know the tracking does need done, but even so, I wouldnt imagine that would cause the tyre to wear so quickly and on both outer edges more than anything?

There isnt much room around the tyre, but I'm only aware of any rubbing while its on full lock.....any thoughts on the reason for this?

Does it pull to the left? I have the exact same problem with mine. It only started since it was lowered but I am pretty sure the tracking is out which won't help matters

Are you sure they arent over inflated??

Yeah the tyre pressure is definitely okay, I checked it just over a week ago, but didnt notice the wearing at the time as it was dark.

Does it pull to the left? I have the exact same problem with mine. It only started since it was lowered but I am pretty sure the tracking is out which won't help matters

It is pulling to the left but not badly, and the suspension has not been changed recently, I have just went up a size in wheel and down a size in profile. But the tyres on it before didnt wear like this/ Is yours wearing on both edges too?

Luckily enough I have managed to avoid any bad potholes since I put the new wheels on....which is a hard job on our roads!

I will check the pressure again at a different airline just to be sure, but there is also more wear in the centre of the tyre too, although not to the same extent as the outers, put is quite a bit in comparison to the other 3!

It could just be a cheap tyre? OR you only go round corners one way. OR the one corner you ALWAYS scream round is a right hander.. or lots of other reasons..

I always wear out the front left first: all those damn roundabouts on the way to work ...

I will check the pressure again at a different airline just to be sure, but there is also more wear in the centre of the tyre too, although not to the same extent as the outers, put is quite a bit in comparison to the other 3!

Beware of the airline they have at petrol stations, apparently they can under/over read. Take a proper pressure gauge with you. :)

Used a proper gauge on the tyre tonight and the pressure is definitely okay, so I am now thinking more towards the tracking? Altho I am thinking that would only explain the wearing on one side.

The 4 tyres are all the same make....Falken ZE512's and its a shame i now need 1 new one when the other 3 are like new. The main thing is to get the problem fixed before the new one goes on! I reckon I have a couple of months left on it.

I cant think of any other obvious reasons other than my first thoughts of the tyre being underinflated, which has now been eliminated

Well, it has to be worth getting the geometry checked out. That means cast+camber too, not just tracking. If the tracking was out you'd wear one side only, it must be something else.

When I first got my Rado the drivers side tyre was wearing really bad to the point of marking the tyre....i took it into get the tracking sorted, and they said it had actually seized where one of the previous owners had tried to fix it themselves and made a botch of it. (A theme which seems to be running throughout the whole of my C)

Doubt if thats your problem but it wasn't something I'd experienced before. :shrug:

Had exactly the same problem a while ago, twas a buckled wheel (side to side rather than up/down) changed the wheels and it felt like a completely different car, much more steady.

Well here's hoping it doesnt happen again. I have now got another 2 new tyres on the front and the geometry sorted out. The tracking was out and although it wasnt pulling majorly to the left, I do feel a difference. The steering also isnt as vague too, so fingers crossed its sorted.