Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Cooling system - renewing

After having my 3rd breakdown due to something in the coolant system breaking i'm replacing what i can.

so far i have

-thermostat housing

-new rad

-all the gruvenparts parts

-set of samcos

-plenty of G12

just about to order a water pump too

is there anything else i should add to list?

sorry for making another thread, but need a quick answer, and ill try and write a guide for the forum once i have this sorted

Engine block water outlets & seals?

New expansion tank and cap?

New Temp sensors to replace while system is empty?

Auxilliary water pump ?

New Top Elbow joint from Rad. When I fitted my samcos it snapped it straight off.

i have the gruvenparts rad elbow coming, althought the new rad has one on it anyway and the old one looks pretty solid.

ordered the pump just now its the one thats powered by a pulley, and is on exchange basis, i noticed the electric one, what does that supply then? think i may leave that one as it looks quite easy to get to.

another thing is the clips/clamps for hoses, i found the standard springy ones a bugger to fit last time, and noticed the manual says they can be replaced for "the screw type" is that just normal jubilee clips? i can get them from anywhere right or are there specific ones for coolant hoses? Anyone have much idea on the range of sizes i need?

noticed the manual says they can be replaced for "the screw type" is that just normal jubilee clips?

Don't get normal jubilee clamps, they don't provide the same pressure all around the pipe....those spring clams that are on there as standard are ideal but do get weaker the more you undo them......i think you may be able to buy use specific jubilees but no idea where from.

i really don't fancy trying to get the clamps ones back on again, took ages doing the engine to bulkhead one :(

don't samco make clips for there hoses?

ordered the pump just now its the one thats powered by a pulley, and is on exchange basis, i noticed the electric one, what does that supply then? think i may leave that one as it looks quite easy to get to.

The pump that is run by the pullies is the main water pump, definately worth replacing as the standard ones have plastic impellers which tend to snap off over time, plus they are prone to leaking! The electric one sits underneath your plastic covers at the top right hand side of the engine, it should come on on overrun to keep water flowing round the head whilst the engine is still hot which will prevent the head warping which in turn can lead to head gasket failure. These are also prone to going as i believe the bearings inside just fall apart and it just jams up.

Main water pumps aren't really expensive and not a big job to do yourself. The aux water pumps i think are about £100 last time i checked which is quite steap. Some people dont bother running them though tbh. Yours might be ok, next time you take the car out for a run and get it hot open the bonnet and listen around that area and if you hear a buzzing noise then it should be ok, if you cant hear anything hold something onto it (not your finger as its hot!) to see if you can feel it vibrating. If its making a nasty crunching or clicking noise then that could be the bearings chewing up inside.

Aux water pumps are about 80 quid from GSF..

Dont go overboard with the G12, i did when i had every cooling problem known to man and it can make the car run 5 degrees + hotter. 1 bottle is quite sufficient..

When doing the stat housing make sure you get all new seals, i cant remember whether mine came with them or whether i ordered seperately. You going to keep your existing thermostat. If getting a new one check it in a pan of boiling water before fitting as the one i got was crap and i had to do the job twice..

Heater matrix is the only other bit if your wanting to do everything in one shot..

If you contact VW for the hose clips you will be sold jubilees....

Should be ok then with the matrix if its been done, not a nice job to do if it hasnt :(

Might be worth mentioning, agreeing with Goldie, make sure you seal the stat housing properly, i put shed loads of silicon sealant on mine when i put the new one on after doing my head gasket to be safe!

Also if you change the stat for a new VW, im not sure if its still the case but there were problems with new ones not opening up as much as the old ones causing the car to overheat, or ust run hot. Does anyone know if this is still the case? And yeah don't use too much G12, the car will run cooler with more water than coolant, the G12 is mainly in there as an anti-freeze (not really needed so much now hopefully!) and for anti-corrosions etc. And its better using de-ionised water as well, only a few quid from your local car parts shop!

Ive been ok with just Jubilee clips, apart from intially cracking the ebow joint.

Yeah i cant see why jubille clips wouldnt work, i use jubilees for all my supercharger pipes which are high pressure and they work fine. You can get nice chunky jubilee clips anyway!

And come to think of it my bottom rad hose is jubilee clipped so :p

i'll use jubilee's then.

any idea of the range of sizes i need, i remember there being some small ones near the throttle body is it?

If you are replacing the stat, I used the R32 one and it was fine, what isn't fine is the car springing a leak elsewhere :mad2:

been on phone to Baileymotor sport, about the hose clips.

the samco ones take a few weeks to get, and chap said they been using jubilee clips on silcone hoses for over 20yrs and they always been fine, just avoid the ones with holes instead of raised bits for the bolt thread to tighten onto, as the holes chew up the hose

all i need to know now is a range of sizes i may need, i spose it will be more apparant when my hoses arrive

how much did this all set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Lee

After having my 3rd breakdown due to something in the coolant system breaking i'm replacing what i can.

so far i have

-thermostat housing

-new rad

-all the gruvenparts parts

-set of samcos

-plenty of G12

just about to order a water pump too

is there anything else i should add to list?

sorry for making another thread, but need a quick answer, and ill try and write a guide for the forum once i have this sorted

Gruvenparts = £260

Samcos = £220

Radiator = £180

thermohousing - £40ish (not 100% sure)

Water pump = £37

Jubliee clips - £30

thats what i've ordered so far, not got it all yet though, infact i only have the rad :lol:

i'm attempting that myself, didn't wanna pay someone else, plus i'm getting to treat and small bits of rust hidden away, like under battery etc.

also found some wires that look a bit dodgy so going to sort them out, if a garage had done it, they wouldn't of bothered