Sign in to follow this  
randomist

slam panels..are they different for each model?

had a front end smash in my vr & managed to source all the bits but my garage has just rang to say the slam panel doesn't fit. i guess it must be off an earlier model but is there a slam panel that only fits a vr6 or will one off a late g60 or 2l 16v fit?

cheers

Yeah, they're different.....The VR has a different rad cover and fixing arrangement....soooo you'll have to get one from another VR

just spoke to a lad who reckons any late model slam panel should fit as its just where the bonnet catch fits thats different but does any know for certain?

All bonnet catched should be in the same place, trust me i had the same problem when i was looking for a slam panel.....have a look through the members gallary to see the various types.

I have had this problem, as far as i'm aware there are just 3 slam panel types, 1 early and 2 late. The early one has only two holes at the bottom for fitting the early grill. Then there is the late one used in most of the late G60 which is very very similar to the early one but it has the extra holes for the late grill. The Vr i think have a slight bulge to the left hand side (facing the car) that covers the top right clip of the grill.

All slams will fit all cars, just the early one doesn;t seem to look quite right on a late car. Don;t know if the bottom lip is not as thick or something. Both late are interchangerble with G60 don;t know about VR's

My poor G60 has had all three at some point in the last year.

I have an early slam if you need it in Black.

Hope this helps

Beavisjem

cheers for that, the slam panel i've got is off a 92 g60 but apparently they cant get it to fit. looks like i'll have to search for a vr one!

think i've spotted the difference between vr & late model slam panels, the late model ones have two straight bars coming down more or less when the headlights would be & vr ones have one straight on the right as you look at it & the left one has a kinda dog leg bend in it. fingers crossed i'm right otherwise i could end up with a rather large collection of slam panels! :shock:

if someone could confirm this for me it would be greatly appreciated!!

Found this on the search thing , I have a 94 L vr that has a bent/twisted slam panel that i would like to replace (looks like the bonnet has been pried open) i have seen one for sale on edition and he says they are both the same but i`m thinking they may not be ? does the vr have a bigger radiator ? i`m thinking the bit that bolts onto the front crossmember may not be long enough to reach it ? its from a 91 if that helps ?? i need to be sure so i can get this this weekend . . . .

Found this on the search thing , I have a 94 L vr that has a bent/twisted slam panel that i would like to replace (looks like the bonnet has been pried open) i have seen one for sale on edition and he says they are both the same but i`m thinking they may not be ? does the vr have a bigger radiator ? i`m thinking the bit that bolts onto the front crossmember may not be long enough to reach it ? its from a 91 if that helps ?? i need to be sure so i can get this this weekend . . . .

As far as i'm aware there are 3 slam panel types, Early found mainly on pre july 1992 cars inc G60 and 16v (early exterior.) Then there is late exterior G60, 16v, 8v, etc which have another type of slam panel and then there is the VR, all slam panels are interchangeable but the radiator might not sit right due to where the radiator is held at the top of the slam panel, i think the holes are different.

I'm not sure if there is an early slam panel for VR as i think they were made after the facelift. (Might be wrong)

Basically i have found that the early panels pre 92 don;t have the extra hole for mounting the newer 3 slat grill. If the car is a 91 then i would assume its the early slam panel. The early slam panel will fit.

This is what i have worked out after going buying and selling 4 slam panels. I currently have a late VR panel on a facelift G60.

This might help.

Chris

As far as i'm aware there are 3 slam panel types, Early found mainly on pre july 1992 cars inc G60 and 16v (early exterior.) Then there is late exterior G60, 16v, 8v, etc which have another type of slam panel and then there is the VR, all slam panels are interchangeable but the radiator might not sit right due to where the radiator is held at the top of the slam panel, i think the holes are different.

I'm not sure if there is an early slam panel for VR as i think they were made after the facelift. (Might be wrong)

Basically i have found that the early panels pre 92 don;t have the extra hole for mounting the newer 3 slat grill. If the car is a 91 then i would assume its the early slam panel. The early slam panel will fit.

This is what i have worked out after going buying and selling 4 slam panels. I currently have a late VR panel on a facelift G60.

This might help.

Chris

I can confirm this is correct... I have both an early and a late G60 slam panel for sale at the moment, and I've tried both on a mate's VR6... they don't fit... A VR one WILL fit onto a G60/16V/8V though... :brickwall:

i need to replace my radiator on my 1991 1.8 16v and need to know what other corrado or other cars have the same radiator?

i was just wondering for example does Golf,passat,jetta,scirocco or any other model have the same radiator?

thanks for any help

Pat