Sign in to follow this  
CoxyLaad

machinist/fabricator feeler

My mate is considering buying a lathe/miling for his garage, with the idea of setting up a sideline in fabricating things like wheel spacers, brackets (supercharger brackets anyone?)

hes a tool maker by trade so this would be a doddle for him, but I am tryin to gauge how much interest it will generate.

Hes just modified my subura impreza P1 alloys to VW fitment, so i can vouch for the quality of his work.

What do you reckon?

Id imagine he will be able to shift adaptors all day long. Go on E38 and advertise them on there as FK etc items are expensive and it would be easy to undercut their prices...

Agreed. There was a discussion on here just the other day about Magnex, and their ridiculous charge of something like £45 for a replacement exhaust bracket. He could knock out replacements at a fraction of the price i'm sure.

I think there would be a regular stream of requests for bespoke parts!

I bet he'd do well on forums like this...just be careful with things such as spacers/adaptors, Im pretty sure your supposed to have the necessary insurance for bits like that....me and my dad got a job to fabricate a roll cage for a tractor and we looked into it and with all the extra insurance needed, it wasnt worth it (Bearin in mind that we've got public liability insuarnce for somethin like £5million).....dont want to put a downer on it for you mate, but wouldnt want somethin comin back on you :thumb right: 8)

I've recently had the rear calipers changed, and the discs and pads were done all round less than 4k miles ago, so i wanna leave the brakes alone for the time being. These brakes are delicate at the best of times, so im gonna go with the adapters for now.

Although my wheels wont be on for a while anyway, got holidays and such to pay for yet!