Cheapmods

Cheapmods G60 Project - 1.8T or G60??

I realized i haven't posted up lately, so here's some pics to tide you over. Unfortunately, i haven't made much progress recently as i still need to muster up the funds for the rest of the engine parts. :cry: Next big buy will include new piston rings, main bearings, strut mounts/bearings, oil cooler, and getting the head decked and valve seats redone, etc. after I have all the parts I'll be ready to get going at a much faster pace. For now i'm cleaning up and painting misc pieces like the rad support, fan shroud, valve cover, etc., etc... :shrug:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

G60Project058.jpg

YAH!! the goodies keep coming!

There you see my new motor mounts, trans mount, ISV re-route, low temp thermostat , 30lb. injectors, TT camshaft, front and rear drilled/slotted rotors & pbr pads, MSD blaster coil and 8mm plugs and last but not least my BBM Stage 4 chip (sitting on the white camshaft box) :norty:

OH WAIT...

i knew i was forgetting something big

The infamous G-Lader

G60Project060.jpg

with new super fresh 68mm pulley

G60Project062.jpg

and RSR porting :nuts:

G60Project063.jpg

:shock: You are really going to town on this sucker! :D It's going to be awesome 8)

Any idea of costs so far? Or do you not want to think about that! :pale: :ignore:

Would be interested in knowing how much the rebuild parts (head work, bearings, piston rings, etc.) cost, as opposed to the 'tuning parts' (chip and pulley, camshaft, etc.), given my summer plans... :wink:

Cost so far...well, it's getting up there. LOL

here's the list (prices in USD)

$180 - Full engine seal set

$370 - all wheel bearings, clutch kit, fuel & oil filter, distrib. cap and rotor, knock sensor

$1650 - BBM stuff (stage 4 kit), injectors, motor & trans mount, performance pads & rotors

$1200 - BBM rebuilt and RSR ported charger in flat black

$200 - Dynamat Xtreme

$250 - Carpet & headlining

and i refuse to add that all up & see the grand total :lol:

I'm guessing when it's all said and done i'll be between 5 - 7K invested, but i don't really care, cuz now it'll be pretty much a new car, right? :scratch:

Nice work :cheers:

Could you tell me where you got seal set kit an does it have everything?

Sorry, i got it through work, so i can't give you a specific website. i'm pretty sure BBM (Bahn Brenner) sells the same kit. not sure if that helps. Either way it's a Victor Reinz seal set, and i'm sorry to say i have not installed any of it yet :( If i had to guess i'd say that it did contain everything...

sorry i couldn't help more.

Sorry, i got it through work, so i can't give you a specific website. i'm pretty sure BBM (Bahn Brenner) sells the same kit. not sure if that helps. Either way it's a Victor Reinz seal set, and i'm sorry to say i have not installed any of it yet :( If i had to guess i'd say that it did contain everything...

sorry i couldn't help more.

Thats ok chap,

Look forward to watching the rest of thread. :D

Well, i know i've been a bit quite lately, unfortunately i don't have much progress to report :shrug: :nono:

My main hold-up has been life in general. lol

I have, however, gotten my "semi" final purchase list together, and have also mustered up the funds to get it all. So today i partially disassembled the head to get it ready for the machine shop. And next week i'll be ordering up the rest of the goods i need to get the engine build going again. While i await the engine parts i plan on finishing up the interior bits. Mainly the remainder of the Dynamat.

Right now i think i'm gonna leave the seats as is, just to get the car on the road, however, if funds permit i may get a pair of Recaros from a friend of mine.

On a side note... What would you all suggest in the way of transmissions? I plan on leaving the stock G60 trans in for now, but i've also heard of some taking 1 & 2 from the VR6 box because G60 gears are too short. Am i right? Right now my daily is an Acura TSX 6MT (AKA - Euro Honda Accord) The 6spd's gearing was much shorter than I was used to, but now i kinda like it, cept for the final drive which sits around 3,500rpm while cruising at 80mph, which i don't like. How does the G60 trans compare?

Thanks for checking out the thread, hope to give ya'll something else to check out soon :salute:

On the gearing front, I am looking out for a direct replacement 'box from a Mk2 Golf or Passat 1.9l Diesel. The type of box is still 02A, so it is a straight swap with the same mounting points etc, but the gearing is much longer/taller for the torquey (but rev-limited) diesel engine:

CTN gearspeeds.jpg[/attachment:18xv0op0]

Much easier and cheaper than pulling the G60 apart to swap cogs etc., and it deals with the generally short nature of the G60 gear design (esp. 1st, 2nd, and 5th) in one go :D

The code on that gearbox is 'CTN'.

Edit: search through the Drivetrain area as I'm sure there are a few threads dealing with gearing options, and several people who have done different things and reported back.

just noticed the 02s is a possible direct fit for a 6spd, so i'm doing research into that .

Unfortunately the C gets pushed back again, as i have to mod someone else car tomorrow :bad-words:

I'll be upgrading the calipers, adding rear seat entertainment and changing out various trim to wood grain on a new Cayenne. oh well i guess i shouldn't get too upset since i'm getting paid for it, but i was really looking forward to quality time with my C :sad:

well, the money i had for the next round of mods needed to go toward a family emergency :(

Saddened but determined not to let progress stop, I decided to get going on the interior.

Sunday, i finished up the dynamat, except for the passenger door (since i have yet to acquire a pass. door card). after which i installed the new headliner, carpets, and rest of the interior. In doing that i noticed that i'm missing 90% of the clips and screws :mad2: :nono: and that most of the ends on the rear panels are coming undone. Even after that i decided to go on & test fit everything since i've never seen a full C interior in the flesh and i was highly impressed. :clap:

It really gave me a HUGE boost having seen one aspect of the project complete, so late sunday, monday, and tues. i have been continuing the body work, which included sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, and last but not least sanding. LOL

I also applied a bit of body filler (for the record)

Hopefully i'll build the funds back up soon and have the engine work back on track, cuz it's driving me nuts having to work next to my torn apart engine everyday.

as always thanks for checking out the thread :salute:

Good to hear that progress is still being made despite unusual setbacks :wink: Hope the emergency got sorted :salute:

Got any pics of newly-improved interior or bodywork? :nuts:

Keep up the good work :D

It's looking awesome buddy!

Having to do the odd jobs whilst you're waiting for parts to arrive, or just for money to buy parts can kinda suck, but then when stuff arrives you can crack on with it which is awesome!

As requested and promised PICS PICS PICS 8)

I've been working solely on the hood and upper panel of the driver's side. Here's what i had done as of this evening

G60Project064.jpg

G60Project065.jpg

And now what got accoplished tonight :clap:

Here's my buddy jesse (in blue) and myself (in black) fixing a decent size ding

G60Project066.jpg

Oh and before i begin here's the original dent

G60Project001a.jpg

ok so step 1 -bang it out

G60Project067.jpg

Step 2 - skim coat

G60Project068.jpg

G60Project069.jpg

Step 3 - sand and repeat until it looks like this

G60Project073.jpg

As you can see she's got a zillion door dings and while prep sanding for body filler i noticed multiple spots of body filler under the paint, which makes me think that this car was resprayed at some point. :|

No worries, as i'm sanding it all down and starting a new

G60Project070.jpg

G60Project071.jpg

G60Project072.jpg

And that's how she stands as of 10pm tonight. Time to call it a night :salute:

Great pics, thanks, this is going to look great judging by the time and effort you are putting into making it right :nuts:

And do I detect a little bit of perfectionism? :salute: :wink:

It's always good to see another C getting a new lease of life :clap: :lol:

Good work y0! Pics are definitely ftw. I hate doing bodywork stuff, but you look like you got some skills! That wing is gonna look perfect :notworthy:

Wish I had the garage / drive space you guys have. I haven't even had my car's wheels off yet and I've owned it for 4 months almost :cuckoo:

don't worry, i haven't had my wheel's off yet either, as the guy i bought it from can't find the key for the wheel lock :bad-words:

he gave me the key he thought it was, but uhh.... no worky :shrug:

Slightly off-topic, but whereabouts are you located? :scratch:

My guess is North America (not too hard), and possibly East coast? :shrug:

If I'm going out on a limb I'd say Canada?

Apologies if I'm wrong and cause offence! :ignore: :oops: :lol:

don't worry, i haven't had my wheel's off yet either, as the guy i bought it from can't find the key for the wheel lock :bad-words:

he gave me the key he thought it was, but uhh.... no worky :shrug:

Yeah I didn't get given the key either, and then one afternoon I decided to root around in the trunk, and there it was, in with the spare wheel! :salute:

Maybe yours is there too... in your car, not mine. :eek:

nope no such luck boost

and prodigal, i'm in Louisiana in the United States

Well, at least I got the East Coast bit right... Hope you didn't mind me suggesting you were a Canuck! :cuckoo: :roll: