Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Pistons....

Right, Two questions....

1) I've got set of standard 2E pistons that I've removed from the block, and I wanted to make sure they were nice and clean ready to be refitted with new rings. I've managed to get most of the gunky oil off using POR 15 marine clean degreaser, but there is still some burnt oil in the ring seats. Is this anything to worry about, or can I leave it in there? I'd rather not if possible, but I'm struggling to get the gunky stuff out .

DSC03023.jpg

2) Secondly, there are some score marks on the thrust side of the pistons, is it anything to worry about??

DSC03027.jpg

1) Ring lands need to be spotless.

2) Thrust scratching on the skirts isn't important.

3) Save up and buy some proper pistons :lol:

1) Ring lands need to be spotless.

Thought as much. What could I use to clean them? Toothbrush action?

2) Thrust scratching on the skirts isn't important.

Good :grin:

3) Save up and buy some proper pistons :lol:

Yeah, you're funny! :lol:

Not sure tbh dude, I've never reused pistons before :lol:

Try some solventy type stuff, thinners and the like, with a toothbrush. I would avoid any metallic implements such as wire brushes etc in case you get any abrasive particles in the holes under the oil control ring.

Get them as clean as you can and shove em in! They'll get crudded up again almost straight away :-)

short of thinners/petrol with a toothbrush as kev suggested, you could get them steam cleaned...

hope it all goes back together nicely for you anyway!

To clean ring grooves snap one of the old rings soak pistons over night in "gunk" and then use the sharp broken edge to scrap out the carbon deposites. You also need to check each piston is within spec using caliper micrometers depending on how many more miles you want out of the engine. Also check the bore is within spec using an old compression ring and some feeler gauges. Have a look in a any haynes manual for a better desription with pictures. A dremel with a nylon brush is useful as well. WD40 is good at getting bunt oil off too along with pipe cleaners for cleaning oiling holes. :)

To clean ring grooves snap one of the old rings soak pistons over night in "gunk" and then use the sharp broken edge to scrap out the carbon deposites.

I have also heard this however you have to uber careful not scratch them.

i work with rebuilding engines, and the way we do it is bend an old ring so that u can use the small flat end where the gap is, to poke back in there if that makes any sense, not the sharp bit from a broken one. that with some wd40 will get it out in no time. good luck

Cheers guys, that's some good info/advice.

*goes off to buy toothbrush and WD40*