Sign in to follow this  
borarob

prob daft question from a newbie

hi all just got myself a corrado on sunday! its a 1990 valver. i'm dub through and through but this is my first corrado so need some help.

first thing i need to sort is some sounds - though with no radio I have been loving the sound of silence - this car doesn't rattle at all :clap:

question is how do you get at the speakers in the door cards - theres no sound coming out of them so am assuming they are either missing or disconnected. do I have to take the entire door card off to get at them or can I just take the speaker grille off? if i can take the grille off how do you do it cos I can't immediately see how its done and I don't want to force anything.

thanks all!

Welcome to the forum..

the speaker grills do come off, just prise gently. No need to remove the whole door card...

Dont the grills slide towards the rear, long time since i had some lol.

Isnt the reason people always want new 1's is cos of prising them and snapping the tabs :scratch:

The early speaker grilles slide off towards the front of teh car. the usual problem is actually keeping them in place, as they tend to get knocked off quite easily.

A lot of early valvers didn't come with speakers in the doorcards as standard! (even though the enclosures are there) If that is the case with yours, you'll have to get a headunit loom from a car with door speakers, or else add speaker cables to run to the doors.

cool, i'll have a go at sliding them forwards - are there any clips I should be looking for while I do this. I'm pretty sure there are no speakers in there so guess I'll be running some speaker cable. Luckily I have set of 5.25" mids somewhere in the garage!

oh and thanks for the swift replies! no doubt this is the first of many amny questions :wink:

If it doesn't come off easily, the doorcard can be whipped off in a couple of minutes anyway :) Just make sure you remember how the windows are connected! I've still lost the function of the passenger window control from the drivers side - swear i've tried every darn combo, but to no avai; :(

Good luck

If it doesn't come off easily, the doorcard can be whipped off in a couple of minutes anyway :) Just make sure you remember how the windows are connected! I've still lost the function of the passenger window control from the drivers side - swear i've tried every darn combo, but to no avai; :(

Good luck

well I shouldn't have that issue as I have manual windows.

I've now managed to whip off the grilles and as I thought there are no speakers there. also there doesn't seem to be anything there to mount a speaker on to either. will it be just a case of screwing through the plastic or should there be something in there to mount the speaker to that is missing in my car?

Ahh, you may have to remove the doorcard to fit the speakers actually!

Is there a round hole for a speaker behind the speaker grille? The mounting holes are actually on the back side of the plastic beside the hole (if you run your finger around the edge you should be able to feel them.

Do a search on the forum about how to remove the doorcard and you should get loads of results. But basically:

1 screw on the front side edge of the card near the hinge.

2 screws on the rear side edge.

Unscrew the door lock pin.

Get a flat blade screwdriver and pop the cover off the door grab handle from the bottom. This should expose two large screws.

Push the plastic surround around the door release lever forwards towards the front of the car and it should pop off

There's probably a cover over the window winder handle that needs to be poped off to expose the screw to remove it.

And that's it. The doorcard should come straight off to let you access the speaker mount! You'll need to get it off to run the speaker cable anyway. :wink:

Just to confirm what Dec is saying.

To fit speakers you will need to take the door card off, as you have a rally spec car (manual windows and no sunroof I guess) you will need to run speaker cable.

On a lighter note there should be a set of speakers in the dash under the grills, these are removed by levering them out.

I doubt all of yours are this retarded, but here overseas, if you want to put new speakers in it, upgrading from the stock you have to run completely new wires through the car because for whatever reason the original wires won't work on anything that wasn't original.

I doubt all of yours are this retarded, but here overseas, if you want to put new speakers in it, upgrading from the stock you have to run completely new wires through the car because for whatever reason the original wires won't work on anything that wasn't original.

Maybe you had the "active" option with an amp somewhere hidden away.

Yes door cards need to be taken off to fit any speakers!