Sign in to follow this  
was8v

Fitting Subaru 5x100 Wheels to a VR

I am thinking of some subaru fitment wheels for my VR- lots of them around and very cheap in 16".

EG:

0a6f_12.JPG8fd9_1.JPGebb1_1.JPG

Issues:

1) need spacers (easy enough)

2) Centre bore needs to be made bigger Vr6= 57mm Subaru = 56mm (not too difficult)

3) Subaru uses M12 bolts to mount wheels VW use M14

That last one may be the killer - does anyone know if the M14 VW bolts fit throught the Subaru holes OK?

Coxylaad recently got some Subaru P1 alloys (yum!) modified to fit his VW hubs. He'll know.

The bolt seat type (flat, 30 or 60 degree taper or round) is more important than bore, so if the M14s go through OK and so long as the seat matches the Subaru seat, go for it. You may need to just tickle the holes out a little.

Coxylaad recently got some Subaru P1 alloys (yum!) modified to fit his VW hubs. He'll know.

The bolt seat type (flat, 30 or 60 degree taper or round) is more important than bore, so if the M14s go through OK and so long as the seat matches the Subaru seat, go for it. You may need to just tickle the holes out a little.

Yeah I was going to use the old "shove some blu tack in" to see what bolt seat I need.

Also M14 bolts will have a bigger head than M12?

Will search Coxylaad's posts now.

I like the 16" scooby wheels, prob go for the 5 spoke ones. I hear you prob need 5mm spacers for the VR - does that sound right? Guess you can get these from Halfords or something?

Sounds like the existing VR bolts will probably be fine?

But the centre bore needs to be a bit bigger. Can that be done at a wheel refurb place or something? If you can DIY, what would you need?

Probably dumb questions there but i've never really felt the need to change wheels on past cars. Just that my speedline are a little scabby and I fancy something slightly bigger than 15".

Cheers people!

Steve (95 VR6)

as long as the stud pattern is right (unless you wanna buy adaptors) then you should be fine, any decent engineering company would be able to make the bolt holes (if needed) and the centre bore(again if needed) bigger. even if you needed to get flat seated bolts then you should be able to get some. we deal with a company called Grayston Engineering and they do masses of wheel bolts and nuts and we keep alot in stock :)

Nice one. Thanks for the advice. Is the cenre bore the load bearing part of the wheel? Was wondering if it could be simply filed out?

Cheers

when u give the wheels to the machinist to do the centre bout get thm on the bolt holes too.. some of the subaru wheels would look stunning on a rado! :wave:

I've tried this. The issues were getting the wheel holes bored to 14mm, and then the front calipers rubbed on the spokes. I havent tried w/ the new DE calipers. I was running large amounts of spacing up front and still rubbing, despite fender rolling.