Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged Junkie

Quick tyre question

Hi, Needed to order some new front tyres for my G60 been running 205/40 but thought i`ll change to 215/45 this time to get a wider front trye and more sidewall(Roads around here are so bad) but just thought is it alright to have 215/45 on the front axles and 205/40 on the rear?

Will it pass the upcoming MOT?

Cheers

Ian

Depends how sharp eyed the MOT tester is. I'd say "not if he spots it", but .. ymmv.

You would be better off running the tyres 2psi down from normal if the roads are that bad, or switching to a softer compound, than trying to engineer a taller sidewall on wheels/suspension not designed for it. (But then, looks like you've already got non-standard wheels so I doubt the MOT tester would notice anything - as long as all the tyres are the right speed and weight ratings.)

Hi

I thought the MOT tester was only interested in the depth of the tread and the general condition of the tytre.

Hi

I thought the MOT tester was only interested in the depth of the tread and the general condition of the tytre.

No, stretch is illegal in any form and an MOT fail along with tyres that sit outside of the wheel arches, they will also look at tyre to arch clearances too.

No, stretch is illegal in any form

What stretch? 215 will fit nicely onto a 17x7" rim surely?

Well emailled the place am getting the tryes from(mytyres.co.uk) to say can i have them in 40profile instead of 45

The 215width should be no issue with MOT, or will it?

The problem you may encounter is the wider 215's rubbing the inner wings on full lock since you have 7x17s in et35. With you current setup park your car on full lock left & right and feel/look behind to check clearances. (prob close already) With the wider 215's your opting for, you may need slim wheels spacers, say 5mm maybe, to reduce the et of your wheels and 'pull' the new wider tyres away from the inner wings to help avoid contact on lock. Sticking to the 40 profile on yer 17's will also help clearances & drive-ability. M.o.T wise, so long as your chosen tyres do not foul any part of the body work or suspension etc in any manner, are of the correct load index/speed rating, not dangerously stretched or stickin out the arches, as previously stated you'll be fine. Oh and I myself have run a 215/40 on a 7' (but in a 16') and they handled & rode great! Hope I helped, good luck.