Sign in to follow this  
8vtornado

16vg60 questions...

ok ive been searching for a while and cant rele find the answers, so i thought id post,

firstly, i have a pg block g60 and im thinking of 16valving it, i been told a KR head will fit, is this true? i dont rele wanna do it if i gotta piss about with the block too.

secondly, i was gonna use 2 head gaskets cos plenty of ppl seem to do that and seems to work alrite, if it goes wrong later on i can always go down the new pistons route. although what compression ratio wud i be looking at with a pg block kr head as is?

thirdly, what parts do i need to think about? i have a list

16V Scirocco Intake manifold lower and upper

16V Distributor, which one?

16V Distributor Block off plate? (for where?)

16V oil pump,

16V Secondary shaft and gears complete (???)

16V Timing belt and gears, (do i need the crank timing pully? as the bolt on mine is proper seized, a massive air gun wudnt touch it!

16V Exhaust Manifold

vr6 alternator (are they the same whether from a mk3 or a corrado?)

some sort of mods to the fuel rail

throttle body adaptor elbow

do all the 16v bits have to be froma KR?

then my last bit is just to make up some custom bracketry to mount the alternator below the charger. i shud be able to sort that myself.

thanks in advance

I used a complete kr lump and used 2 head gaskets. Ul need decent chip, injectors custom fuel rail, custom or scirocco inlet, i used a 90amp vr6 alternator.

Heres my itemized parts list, im slightly lucky that i work breaking vws

KR Complete engine from my work £100

custom Inlet manifold £75 exchange

Custom fuel rail £58 delivered from states

2x G60 head gaskets £60 from ebay

VR6 Clutch £50 through work

Windage tray sump gasket £30 delivered ebay

Mk3 GTI downpipe from work £15 (only bought this as it was as new)

VR6 Alternator £20 delivered from ebay

assorted cambelt tensioners from work Free

I think thats it so i spent out £408 plus a few odds and sods like fuel pipe etc so say £450.

Option extras inc Passat TDI gearbox £250 inc picking it up

since then, ive spent

lime green 440cc injectors £120 from the states

G-werks chip £80

Beetle breather £20

cool thanks for hte list, where did you get the fuel rail and manifold from? and do you know if hte KR head will fit a PG block? as i want to keep the g60 stuff i can, just put the kr head on? ppl do do this right?

cool thanks for hte list, where did you get the fuel rail and manifold from? and do you know if hte KR head will fit a PG block? as i want to keep the g60 stuff i can, just put the kr head on? ppl do do this right?

your compression will be too low if you do that.

= naff all power.

even if i just use 1 head gasket? wot sort of CR would that be then with a standard pg and kr head? wot about kr pistons in the pg block?

even if i just use 1 head gasket? wot sort of CR would that be then with a standard pg and kr head? wot about kr pistons in the pg block?

Yes even if u just used one head gasket.

if you put kr pistons in the pg block u'd come out at about normal kr compression as pg and kr blocks have same deck height and rod lengths I believe.

So too high for FI.

aah thats a bummer, so i need to find a nice low mileage kr engine then? are the pistons up to the job of the extra heat of FI? thats a bummer, cos by the time i get the money for all that ill have to do it on my driveway not work, so makes it alot more effort. maybe ill just chip n pulley!!! so u reckon u did the whole thing for £450 all in? wot did u do about the inlet and how did u route the air to it? with teh oriinal pipework?

Have u had a look in the 16v FI thread?

Lots of info on this conversion there.

Not the easiest,although flusted made it look simple but I think even he would admit its tricky.

Not much time but go 16v block for one reason, the block breather.

Its either that or spend a lot of time and effort welding up custom breathing solutions so your oil cap doesnt spend its time embedded in the underside of the bonnet.

it isnt cheap and easy, i bodged most of mine for a quick fix and have the advantage of being able to do the stuff myself and have alot of parts to hand

A lot of work mate,i did a 9A 2.0 valver using 2 ABF steel head gaskets,i also have acess to a mate's huge car breakers but it's the simple things that screw you,pulley arrangements,eeprom(i'd only consider a SNS stg.5 no-lag chip),belt routing,tensioners etc,etc,etc.

I used the 'DQY' Passat gearbox that was exellent,brilliant for the supercharged mill but not very good for my turboed 2.0 9A,too much turbo lag along with long ratios meant the car was slow off the line.

LOL whys that? it seemed alrite to me, went out in it on sunday. cant find anything wrong with it, ill let u know wen i pick it up! my original g60 is now up for sale tho, its good condition, rebuilt head n charger n brakes n wheels. someone else cud convert it to 16vg60!

most of the complaints I have heard are from people that use it as a daily driver and these are mostly aimed at the struggle to get it set up and continue running smoothly. I have heard that now with the original ECU things have got better with fault finding, but for me nothing beats the simplicity of a 8v with a g-ladder. I'll always want more power but for a daily driver 215bhp on a front wheel drive is plenty enough for some fun :D and until i can afford to get one of these http://www.lightningcarcompany.com/ I'll be stricking with the engine I have

that car looks nice, dunno if its better than a rado tho! i was looking at an attack kitcar. theyre tasty. i did enjoy my g60, its got torque, and a lovely noise (not whiney like i thought itd be) but its completely standard and i had the choice of spending money doin it up or buying something different, and i found a bargain so got that instead! u must have spent a fair bit to get to 215bhp? ill be starting on 225! plus its not my daily driver which is nice!

LOL 215bhp is the goal! I got 178.9bhp 169.9lb ft with only an air filter and exhaust, I have seen 215 with stage 4, FMIC and remap only, so easily reachable

I am hoping to be somwhere near it with a new cam on the g. She was just over 200 with FMIC, sns chip, stg 4 charger, Jabba filter and a 68mm pully.

After that it gets into serious money realms. CNC big valve head, 1.9 conversion etc. TBH for a daily it really just aint worth the hassle. More stress on the engine more things to go wrong. And being a corrado there is enough things to go wrong as it is :grin:

an especially big pain when the crank bolt goes ai tim :norty:

how is that all going, back on the road now I hope?

Should get her back on thursday. With a new crank and rebuilt bottom end. Am putting a piper cam in whilst the head is off just to see how it runs. I have been told they are a bit lumpy, but will see how it goes, :nuts:

thats wot i was gonna look at doing, fmic 68mm pully sns chip etc but like i say its gone another way. if u know anyone that likes ur g60 and wants one swing em my way!