Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Foglight switches and lights no work - Solved - basic!

:censored:

Just failed MOT with C looking and working wonderfully - or so I thought.

The foglights and their switches do not light up when you switch on (when you have headlights on, too, of course.)

I reckon the problem has occurred because of coolant system work I did on car in October.

Front of car, bumper, and all lights had to come off to fit gruvenparts pipe, new water pump and thermo housing, etc.

Any ideas, guys, as to what I may not have plugged in on reassembly?

Any ideas, guys, as to what I may not have plugged in on reassembly?

The fog lights? :shrug: :lol:

Sorry if that sounds like a stupid comment :oops: , but I assume you've checked they're plugged in OK?

Yes, no probs, Walesy. Sometimes the obvious can be the cause when we mere humans are involved!

I have just dismantled the indicator and fog lights and all are ok.

What I have found now though is that battery is flat.

I wonder if low battery will fail to activate foglight relay?

Charging battery now and will post anything of interest.

After some time consuming investigation found that fuse no. 10 for fog lights was missing! :brickwall:

I do not remember removing it, but may have done so for some reason concerning work I was doing on car.

I suppose it is reasonable to expect that if you drive your car to a garage for an MOT and the fog lights do not work, the car fails. That is doing it by the book, yes?

However, I have been going to this garage for years and they have done plenty of helpful things for us.

I cannot help thinking that because I did not ask for a full service and MOT together for 200 squids or whatever, they might be saying "Hell mend you". Was a holiday weekend coming up, too, and place looked quiet at 2.30 yesterday afternoon.

Now I have to try and get a slot for MOT retest before 10 days are up. I think they said they are booked up to next Friday. Oh, and they said the foglight problem will require further investigation by the autoelectrician! :censored:

Garages, what do you make of 'em? - even the ones you think are great can throw a wobbly.

the re test is just that, whatever was on the failure sheet is what they need to check, unless it goes over the 10 days or whatever they stipulate, then you may have to pay a full re test fee?

sounds like "auto electrician" is building up his holiday fund if you ask me! if they work now then theres no reason for anyone else to start looking for faults or at wiring, that sort of investigation is not part of an mot anyway!