Sign in to follow this  
mookie

Corrado Buyers Advice - Not covered in the guide?

I wasted a full 8hrs to and from a viewing of a VR6 today - not too happy as the seller hadn't really mentioned some fairly important things about the car beforehand (despite me repeatedly asking) and I had an altogether uneasy feeling about the car. Anyway, as it was the first time I'd driven or poked around a Corrado 1st hand, I have a couple of questions that don't seem to be covered in the buyers guide.

1) Can someone describe the noise the engine of VR6 should make, when idling? Had the bonnet up and it seemed somewhat more... harsh than I expected. Apparently had had loads of engine work done too (inc chains and tensioner), but the engine had a tat-tat-tat-tat-tat sound to it.

2) The MFA wasn't working it seemed - MPG and one of the other reading showed as 1.0 after a decent test drive, and didn't fluctuate at all. The speed-orientated readings seemed OK though. Broken sensor of some sort or sign of tampering?

3) How effective should the brakes feel? I wasn't sure if I was just feeling used to the Mk5 GTi brakes, but they seemed quite soft to me - should it stop on a six-pence or are they meant to be less decisive feeling?

4) From a low speed, say 20-30, how rapid ought a VR6 feel? Should I feel a kick in the pants, or is it more steady and consistent? I felt it seemed a little lacking in grunt tbh and wasn't convinced it ought to feel that way.

Apologies for the questions but I've tried the search and couldn't find much to help as these seem pretty specific questions.

N.B I've been driving Mk2 Golfs for the last few years (most recent was a torquey homebrewed 2.0L 8v GTi), but have recently been using an insurance Mk5 GTi (MK2 Golf written off...) - just so you know what I've got to compare it with.

The corrado brakes are more or less pants as standard. I think it's fair to say you'd have to drive a few VR's to get a feeling for their performance, there are some tired cars out there. The VR has a fairly consistent band so you never get the push in the back like you do from a turbo car, I looked at at least ten before I bought one. At the end of the day, the very last ones are 12 years old and most have been driven hard at some point, it's much easier to find a nice golf than a nice corrado.

IMO the VR brakes do take a bit more pressure on the peddle to get them to start hauling the car up compared to a more modern car but will give good stopping power.

You shouldn't be getting a tat-tat-tat sound from the engine but with regard to idle the VR doesn't usuall idle very evenly and this can be a worry when you first listen to one but is nothing to be concerned about unless it's really erratic.

I agree with Neil G60 on the issue of acceleration, although I know what you mean when comparing it to a 2L Gti 8v. I have both and the Gti feels like it takes off quicker from standstill and in the lower rev range than the C although I'm sure this is just an illusion :lol: Once you get the C up around 4k rpm it comes into its own.

So what problems did the car have that the seller didn't tell you about?

The VR brakes scare the crap out of me compared to my missus' peugeot. Drive that for a few days and get back in the Corrado and just about manage not to park in the back of the next car you have to try and stop behind...

Don't get me wrong, they should *work* when you put the pressure on, but don't expect to dab them and be cleaning up a bloody nose.

And ageing VRs are quite rattly. The MFA troubles is more worrying, so you'd want to be looking for evidence of mileage alteration there.

As for performance.. Mk5 GTi is a turbo car, so it has a practically flat torque curve. The VR is not, so it's torque doesn't even come in till 4k rpm. Even in 2nd gear that's 40 mph..

The standard brakes on a VR will give you a lot of brake fade on a hard run, which is in my books a braking system not up to the job, the disks are too small and thin and therefore heat up to easily, the larger diameter Mk3/TT upgrades are as a result very common :wink: I should thik it's worse on the VR's as it's heavier on the nose. No one likes the spongey over assisted brakes which they certainly aren't.

1) VRs can be a bit tappety, shouldn't be a rattly though and should quieten once warmed

2) Vaccum hose split / missing to the clocks

3) Brakes should feel better than MK2 GTI brakes

4) VRs can seem a bit slow until you get over 3k revs

Best bet is to see a few - maybe come to an owners club meet or show and get an enthusiat to take you out in an immaculate one. tehse may be out of your budget but will give you an idea of what to aim for.

Take a laptop and fire VAG-COM up ona potential purchase, will soon tell you if any sensors are out.

I looked at a VR in Norfolk before i got my G60 and it sounds almost the same car, naff brakes, loads of engine work but sounded rough, shark seller......... and so on!! I just assumed it was a bad one and ran for the hills!!