Sign in to follow this  
Trickygti

Another sunroof question!

I know this has probably been covered but I've searched for an hour and can't find an answer.

I've got a 93 C with electric sunroof, problem is it will tilt up but when I tilt it back down only the drivers side goes down. And it also doesn't slide back due to something preventing this on the passenger side.

I can get it to tilt back down by sliding the moving part towards the rear of the car with a screwdriver. I haven't unbolted the sunroof mech yet as I need the car tomorrow for work.

Any help would be great,

Cheers in advance

IMO it sounds very much like the wire that runs from the motor to the passenger side mech has snapped at the point where it joins the sliding pieces. Same as what happened in mine, u need to take the whole lot out and replace that piece of the slider with the complete wire. An easy thing to do....once the sunroof is out and after you have re-aligned the whole mech!!!

I wrote a how-to on this problem a while back....

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... 19&t=61911

The reason it takes makes the panel tilt up ok is cause it still is able to catch the mechanism and pull the wire forwards, however to make the roof tilt downwards it has to push the mechanism which it cant do because it is not attached to it anymore. It also has to push the mechanism to make the roof slide backwards. I expect that when u try to send to roof backwards or down, the motor either strains slightly and then clicks or just clicks and doesnt do anything further

Hope u do ok with the mend, is worth it with the summer coming.

Tim

I have exactly this problem -- I took the whole sunroof assembly out yesterday to have a look at it, so will keep u posted as to my progress...

T

Cheers Tim and Serial, yeah that sounds like the exact same symptoms I have with mine. Luckly I work for Audi so get some discount on VW parts. I'll have a look on ETKA tomorrow and get the bits ordered. I just really want it to work now we're getting some half decent weather.

Thanks guys

Found out what's wrong with mine -- the part of the mechanism that is attached to the cable has snapped, looks like the whole casting just failed because the cable is still intact.

Does anybody know if it's possible to get individual sunroof parts from the VW dealers? I heard somewhere they will only sell you the whole sunroof assembly, or is that not true...?

Will post some photos of the broken part on here this evening...

Tom

i hate sunroof threads, i've never tried opening mine since i got the car, i didn't want it to get stuck?

what happens when it breaks? does it damage anything, like paint?

3corsameal, no, I don't see how it could damage the paint, I think it normally just jams in one position, or won't move on one side. Sods law says it only jams open, just as it starts tipping down with rain though... :roll: :lol:

Tom

there are stories of them scratching along the inside of the roof whilst in the slide back mode, but not really sure how this could happen unless the tilt mechanism was initiated at the same time!

Tim

Yup they do scratch on the inside of the roof. Nice newly painted panal and sunroof opening = :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Havnt opened it again :ignore:

timg60 is right -- they do scratch the roof. I just had another look at mine and there *are* some scratches... sorry for confusion...

Tom