Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Are P Prices Affecting Std Living?

I'm not too certain about this getting rid of your old car for something more economical... My 24 year old Scirocco does about 45 mpg, whereas the 6 year old Passat DIESEL only does about 40mpg - which is cheaper to run hey? I seem to remember the average fuel consumption in the 1970/80s was about 40mpg - 90s this dropped to about 30mpg, and today it's probably about 28 for petrol cars...

Oh, and in answer to the original questions - most definitely yes!

Just to throw another coal on the fire :norty: didnt I hear on the radio today that Government are thinking of introducing a tax for employers who provide more than 10 parking spaces at work.... which in turn employers will be allowed to pass on to their employees. As said before if public transport was 1. less expensive 2. dependable 3. more pleasant 4. time efficeint then maybe more of us would use it. They'll just tax the life out of us until we have no other option :bad-words:

A company in nottingham is charging its employees to use the car park!!!!!

Fortunately that will never happen where i work

As said before if public transport was 1. less expensive 2. dependable 3. more pleasant 4. time efficeint then maybe more of us would use it. They'll just tax the life out of us until we have no other option :bad-words:

Exactly, you can't force people to use alternative transport system that just isn't there. Well, the labour government and Livingstone / Boris are certainly trying. And what makes the government think I *want* to sit on a pikey, stinky, train with a load of pikey chavs anyway?

What I want to know is what UK motorists have done to deserve such hatred and persecution from politicians. We're an easy cash cow for them, but I object to being made to feel like a zit of society for daring to drive my own f'cking car.

What next, a tax for enjoying music in the comfort of your own home? The bigger your woofers, the more tax you pay?

I reckon a masturbation tax would probebly be a good earner for them tbh, charged per ml

fuel duty subsidises a lot of other things though, NHS etc...

umm why is my petrol paying for the NHS :scratch: thought that was what my national insurance was for

A thing called "negative externalities" my boy!

The net negative effect on society of a good or service, associated with its consumption.

So, by driving a thirsty car which uses more petrol and has poorer emissions than say... a Toyota Prius, which uses less petrol and has fewer emissions, you are creating a larger net negative impact on the world around you. In NHS terms, we're talking the effects of air polution etc on the population. So, paying for the treatment of lung problems and the like no doubt.

This is the theory anyway... I think.

Oh, and unfortunately we can't just turn around and say... well, ltrucks/vans use far more fuel and produce far more emissions, so we should tax them more and us less, because.. then the price of everything that requires any form of road transport goes us!

Oh, wait.. we are kind of doing that too!

Surely the best way to get old trucks/vans off the road is to subsidise/reward companies that switch to newer, cleaner ones whilst only applying a "warning" tax to the rest. They need to make it more appealing!

Anyhow...

Fortunately, I'm very very lucky at the moment living at home rent free (my parents won't let me pay rent. Crazy, I know!) So, the price of petrol isn't affecting me as much as some. I'm only working part time while looking for a "proper" job so I don't rack up excessive mileage... just your average I guess.

Does anyone else think that wage levels are going to need to increase again due to inflationary pressures? If so.. when?!

Soon it will be either:

A) Illegal

B) Imorral

C) Unethical

D) Impossible

To use and run a Corrado VR6.

Therefore I've chosen to supercharge mine while i've still got the chance!

Yeah but that might be construed as food, which is subject 17.5% VAT

[pedant]There isn't any VAT on food in the UK[/pedant], so its a tax free exercise! :lol: :cheers:

IF we want to be really pedantic... surely *that* is made up (amongst other things) of sugars.. fructose etc, so it could be classed as confectionary... meaning VAT is indeed still applicable!