Sign in to follow this  
kaiserVR6

brake up grade advice required.........

I am looking to increase the size of the brakes on my corrado, the ones i currently have a standard.

Now i have never attempted anything like this, can some one please point me in the right direction, when it comes to spacers, brake kits, that kind of stuff......

also can you get porsche brakes to fit??

HELP ME!

Should be loads of people on here to advise on that. There are people with Porsche set ups so it is possible.

You've already got the important bigger rims!!!

I'd be interested in what gains you get from a 288 set up over a 280? Obviously there's the mechanical advantage of 8mm but that doesn't seem much in the grand scheme of things. Are the calipers better in the 288 set up?

Discs are only 8mm bigger but the pad area is considerably larger.

It's still quite 'spongy' but you get a lot less fade under heavy braking.

Ah, but you have a 16v with the standard 256mm discs. So the cheapest and easiest upgrade is to get yourself a pair of G60 or VR6 calipers and carriers, some standard G60 discs (GSF do Brembo vented ones which are reasonable) and some Ferodo FD2500 pads. The calipers can be bought for about 50-70 quid, the disc are £50ish and the pads are about £20-25 IIRC. So cheap upgrade for no more than £150 all in. That's what I'd do anyway.

Yars, despite the VR6 username, Kaiser has only ze valver, so Mr. Beigie boy's suggestions are the only right ones.

You canne get 288s and 312s on the 4-stud hubs of the valvers.

There is some suggestion that 305mm Seat Leon discs and 'some' calipers will work, but not sure which :confused4:

There is some suggestion that 305mm Seat Leon discs and 'some' calipers will work, but not sure which :confused4:

I believe thems be the Brembos off aforementioned vehicle.

For a Valver? Wouldn't they be 5 stud?

Nope. 305mm disks + Brembo calipers from an Ibiza Cupra are 4x100, 315mm disks from a Leon Cupra are 5x100. Afaik the calipers are the same, but obviously different carriers are needed for the different sized disks :wink:

Yars, despite the VR6 username, Kaiser has only ze valver, so Mr. Beigie boy's suggestions are the only right ones.

D'oh.....missed the signature bit :)

I'd love to do the same to my valver, is there much of a difference between g60 and Vr6 brakes what exactly would I need to get and do? i.e hoses, discs, calipers, pads? is it possile for an a newbie to do at home? Any advice welcome

cheers

I think that bigger/better brakes are probably on my list of winter mods, ive only got a standard valver, but the brakes do feel shocking sometimes. Leon cupra discs, pads and calipers should sort that, braided hose lines are probably a good idea, and if you've not already i would look at replacing the master cylinder, i know the standard ones are steel and can rot away, replacement ones should be aluminium

...and if you've not already i would look at replacing the master cylinder, i know the standard ones are steel and can rot away, replacement ones should be aluminium

That's the slave cylinder and the replacements are plastic 8) It affects clutch feel more than brakes :wink: