Sign in to follow this  
Whitedog

Auto Box query

Hi all

Does anybody know if there is a relay that controls gear selection on an auto box and if so what number relay it is?

Reason i ask is that my auto box is in the emergency mode which according to the manual means it only operates in 3rd. When driving, at the point where it should be changing gears i can hear a clicking noise coming from the fuse box, the type of noise which sounds like a relay tring to work.

Please help me get all my gears back :(

Its a 1992 vr6 auto if it makes any difference.

Cheers all.

Cheers VR6, some great info there, but nothing is screaming out at me, what is relay 4, load reduction relay for???? This is the closest sounding relay that could have anything to do with my problem.

Cheers

there is a transmission control module under the right hand cover in the drivers footwell. Just check and see if this hasnt got disconnected. Also, get it on VAGCOM and see what errors codes you get. The relay will only be related to powering the tcm, so it may be concidental that you hear the clicks. Get it scanned and then post up the error codes.