Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Clutch problem?

i've noticed that after parking for a while a going to drive off again sometimes the clutch/engine seems to shuddder

also get it when driving at low revs like 1000rpm then accelerating

for example if i put car in 5th at 20-30mph then put foot down i just get a thudding, feels like the clutch is slipping to me :(

Its just the engine trying to overcome the gearing. The juddering means you're probably using to high a gear for the engine speed, mine does it but the clutch is fine.

Get up to 30mph, put it in 5th and stove ya foot on the gas. If the revs shoot up but you don't go anywhere then a good sign your clutch is slipping, if it just digs in and starts accelerating slowly then it's fine.

Sounds like the engine's just coughing/spluttering because it's not designed to spin that slowly :lol:

Give it more beans/put it in a lower gear.

If the clutch is slipping, you'll get the revs going up, but not go any quicker, like if you keep your foot half on the clutch.

ahh, so its not the clutch, i did wonder if it could be coil pack related.

tbh i getting really suspiscous of what the garage have done when they service it, i'm thinking nothing :(

its only started doing it recentely. i.e: i know it didn't do it before

Nah, they all do that at low revs, so nowt you need to worry about.

TBH a service is basically just a lube/filter chance so won't make any difference to how it drives.

i don't know when the plugs and leads were last done, would they affect engine at all, its deffo a problem i didn't have before

like you go round a corner in 4th quite slowly go to put power on and it misses and kinda jolts the car, then seems to go as normal

Well leads should be changed every 2 years according to the corrado service schedule, and plugs probably.

I've never changed mine (2 year, 18000miles) and I'm currently getting funny running issues so I'm going to change them over the weekend, although I think mine is a combination of think TBH.

Ah the wonderful world of the corrado! :lol:

I have the same prob in my mondeo daily drive. It judders when accelerating from low revs, but pulls fine at higher revs.

In my case it's definitely that the clutch is on it's last legs and is struggling to transmit power at low revs. It's not causing a noticeable increase in revs when it is juddering/slipping though.