Sign in to follow this  
ShockVR6

Corrado VR6 vs Subura Impreza 2.0l Turbo

Yeah, what's the difference? Boxer, horizontally opposed or flat configuration...all the same AFAIK? I thought Boxer was an Alfa/Ferrari coined term?

Anyway, yeah dubster......I saw this 'transplant' mod when I was at Extreme Scoobies in Chelmsford. Basically, some poor chap suffered a melt down in his scoob (piston no 4 and it's associated head were molten lumps) so opted for the Legacy upgrade! Well over 5Ks worth.....ouch. A standard build of the 2.0 would have 'only' cost £1300.

Kev

Was side by side at the lights next to a Toureg (not sure how its spelt). Both of us floored it at the lights. Full throttle, red lining and quick gear changes all the way....

1st gear... he was about a meter ahead...

2nd gear, i got the nose ahead...

3rd gear got further ahead of him

Then a car was in my lane so had to back off and let him pass. I was impressed with how fast something that big can go. But im sure would have stuffed him properly given the chance. (didnt want to continue much after 3rd regardless of the other car, cos speeds would have got way too much for the public roads)

Yeah, what's the difference? Boxer, horizontally opposed or flat configuration...all the same AFAIK? I thought Boxer was an Alfa/Ferrari coined term?

The term "Boxer engine" was coined by BWM, IIRC, and was a 2 cylinder, horizontally opposed engine. The concept of the engine was originally designed as a 4 cylinder in 1912 by Max Friz for use as an aircraft engine due to it's lack of gyro effects, and adopted by Dr. Ferdinand Porsche in the 1930s for use in his designs....

"Horizontally Opposed" just means that you've got 2 banks of cylinders (however many cylinders you want!) running 180 degrees apart and they're running parallel with the floor. "Flat configuration" means that you've got 2 banks of cylinders running 180 degrees apart from each other, in any plane you care to mount them, so yes, they're essentially the same! 8)

Original (ie, not a golf in drag!) Beetles used a FLAT4 configuration which was an horizontally opposed, flat, 4 cylinder engine. Dr. Ferdinand Porsche's son, Ferry, adapted this engine and made the Porsche 356 engine which used the same configuration, but with a roller bearing crank. (and was a beautiful piece of engineering!) This engine was then used in the Porsche 912, while a 6 cylinder version of the Beetle flat 4 was used in the original Porsche 911... The rest is history 'cos the 6 cylinder was cheaper to build, more powerful and easier to fix! The 356 engine was the superior piece of engineering, but just wasn't big enough, or cheap enough to compete.... :cry:

For those who wonder how I know this lot, I've helped re-build all of the above mentioned engines, apart from the 356/912 engines which we had to scrap 'cos Porsche wanted a STUPID ammount of money to put new roller bearings in... The 912 ended up with a somewhat modified 2.1 Type 2 (VW VAN!) engine, the 356 ended up with an engine out of a car found in a field! :shock: :roll: :lol:

I guess this is why I've always had a soft spot for the Subaru engines, 'cos effectively, they're just the N'th generation of the Beetle engines with water cooling and turbos... 8) :D

Sorry if this dragged on a bit :oops: , this is my favourite engine design and is where I got my lust for automotive engineering, and VWs, from... :roll: :lol: 8)

A good source of info on these engines can be found: HERE!

Wouldnt worry to much mate,ive raced a few.you will be able to keep up on the open road.my vr is standard and even stuck with an evo7 once

He obviously wasn't trying then :lol:

the engine is a flat 4. cant imagine a flat 5 would work.

it is quite a small engine. some are quad cam other not. all turbos are quad.

the problem with um is the work needed to do jobs. rod bearings for example. withc a vw you do um thru the bottom. the impreza engine block splits in 2 thers no other way of getting in. there are plenty need new engines due to either wear and not being able to do jobs easy(the engine needs to be lifted to remove heads remember) one of the biggest issues is people not doing cam belts properly causing the cranks to go wrong. killing it.

2.5 is not a bad thing but the block cant really do what a EJ20 can. they dont rev the same after. legacy heads flow better than impreza ones but need rebuilding as they rattle. the legacy block is also closed deck too

Thought that boxers have a specific timing sequence... whilst flat 4s don't.. hence a boxer is a flat four but not vice versa....

Most cambelt related engine meltdowns are due to leaking hyrdaulic tensioners that don't get spotted during a belt change.

K

Henny, wow..... You should think about doing some automotive lectures at a college :lol:

:lol: I really should stop myself from typing messages when I get back from the pub! :roll: That did ramble on a bit, didn't it... :? :oops: :lol:

HiAsAKite, the flat 4 IS a boxer engine.... Boxer was just a name coined because of the way the engine "punches" the pistons out side to side like a boxer would... Yeah, I think it's a naff explaination too, but it's the correct one! :? :lol: If they've got the same number of cylinders, then it'll have the same firing sequence else it'd shake itself to bits, or just not run properly... :?

I thought there were 2 firing sequences used with flat fours.. one noticeably smoother then the other..and this was the sequence used by Porsche in the boxer... hence what the term boxer refers to...

I may be wrong, if so I bow down to your superior knowledge! :wink:

Porsche flat engines have all been 6 cylinder since around the time the 911 first came out.. All 911 and boxters use a flat 6 engine which is why it's noticably smoother than a flat 4... The last flat 4 that they made was for the 356 (and 912) and had a roller-bearing crank which made it a serious bit of engineering and beautifully smooth, but an utter pain to fix if it wore out! 8)

Henny, are you sure you weren't an automotive engineer in a previous life? Your knowledge is very impressive and you also had a MK1 16V, which makes you a top geezer in my book :lol:

Anyway, that's enough of the trumpet blowing, he he...

Just to confirm, I followed a W reg Scoob today on the way home from work. It had a Hayward & Scott decat on it (the tailpipe and noise are unique to H&S) so was at least 20 up on standard and I was quite pleased the VR could keep up. I already knew it could anyway as my mate has a W reg too with the same exhaust and he is most upset he can't blow me into the weeds :lol:

Kev

........Anyway, that's enough of the trumpet blowing, he he......

ymca.gif

hehe

Wouldnt worry to much mate,ive raced a few.you will be able to keep up on the open road.my vr is standard and even stuck with an evo7 once

My mate has one and this thing is ridiculously quick- it acclerates in 4th and 5th like a corrado does in first- there 4.6 sec to 60 and beleive me it feel like you been hit up the A-hole by a train when this thing accelerates.

Ive had my G60 Dyno'd at 211bhp and my matees EVO leaves me like im standing with the engine switched off- he could proably spin it around and reverse past me!

i agre with u gringo, i dont think dalevr6 knows what hes on about, evo 7 are seriously quick

talking bout police cars i know that there is an anglian police force that used to have an Esprit V8 at one point. they put lights on the roof and as soon as it got to over 50mph the wind ripped them off!! :lol: :lol:

........Anyway, that's enough of the trumpet blowing, he he......

ymca.gif

hehe

:rofl:

Supercharged,

:cheers:

Kev, only kidding mate :wink:

:lol: No worries Brian. You gotta have someone to take the pee out of :lol:

Supercharged, you can forget about borrowing my dremel now :wink:

K

:lol: No worries Brian. You gotta have someone to take the pee out of :lol:

Supercharged, you can forget about borrowing my dremel now :wink:

K

Think I got away lightly there! smiley_watchout.gif

thumbs.gif

hm i think you got your work cut out my c will kill the vr no probs BUT a flew of my mates have scoobs and they are quick i raced his wrx we were nack and neck i was giving it all she had but could not get passed top end on the uk mod is 140 wrx will do 155 p1 and 22b 166 and in the twistey they are mad i was side ways on all corners and he was pulling away :x :x