Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Renault Clio Experience?

Just been to look at a 1999 Renault Clio 1.6 with a mate.

Anyone got any experience of them? This one has had cambelt done, fsh, 82k, few marks on the paint, and I'm not 100% on the clutch (v high biting point) and 1st and 2nd can be awkward to get, think they are related to the clutch.

£2200, but, they have offered £1000 in part ex for their old car with knackered UJs on the propshafts, and a slight blow on the exhaust.

I had a '95 Clio 16V, It always had a high bite point on the clutch even after i replaced it when i blew the diff up. It was a good car to throw about, great fun and sounded the dogs danglies! However, i wouldn't buy another one, i spent soooooooo much time fixing & maintaining it that i hardly ever got to apreciate it because i was always so frustrated with it....

If he does buy it, i have a stealth shelf i made sitting about if he's a stereo man? Also a 16V steering wheel, nice sporty little number

Well, the clutch didn't seem to slip, and she had fallen for it so agreed to buy it, and left a £20 deposit. Shortly after this her brother in law got on the phone and started ranting about how crap they were and that he had a fiat stilo which was far better. So I assume she's currently on a 600 mile round trip to look at it instead. Families eh??

Nevermind, cheers for the replies.

Ive only ever driven a clio round brands hatch on one of their experience days. Handles quite well :)

son, had one of these...made of tin foil and glue, forever broken, hit the kerb once very lightly and bent all the subframe.....NOT RECOMMENDED!!

son, had one of these...made of tin foil and glue, forever broken, hit the kerb once very lightly and bent all the subframe.....NOT RECOMMENDED!!

Thanks Mum.. :lol:

thats okay son, try not to write off the golf as well.......oops, forgot you already did!!

thats okay son, try not to write off the golf as well.......oops, forgot you already did!!

I did???

Perhaps you'd like to tell your mother what you posted on my Facebook wall yesterday.... :lol:

As long as he doesn't tell your mother what he posted... :lol:

Perhaps you'd like to tell your mother what you posted on my Facebook wall yesterday.... :lol:

As long as he doesn't tell your mother what he posted... :lol:

My Mum would be better off not knowing to be fair. :lol:

X bird had a clio 1.2 16v. Yet another high biter, its defo a common fault on em according to Renault.

ALSO......according to my bro who worked for renault for years, they also have very bad electrical problems, ie windows, sunroofs, etc and he wouldnt touch one

oooh yea, electrical problems :eek: forgot about those....

Lecky windows were fine, converted the sunroof back to manual because the motor gave up (while it was open :bad-words: ) Also, N/S/R quarter panel collected water in heavy rain, never got to the bottom on that one :confused4:

Lol, I never wanted a Clio, but she wouldn't buy a corrado! Lol. She ended up with the Stilo btw.

I had a Renault Clio 1.8 and drove it through what i regarded a puddle. Turned out the air intake was very low to the ground, sucked up water and wrote off the engine which was diesal. Was lovely up to this point though.

Indeed. Got an Australian visiting at the moment who has rented a 207cc. Seems alright, but has about 548 motors to fold the hood, bet it will be a right gimp when it gets old...

That will be fun in a few yrs. Reckon it'll make our rear spoiler issues so insigificant. That doesn't stop me praying that mine isn't about to go every time I hit 56 though.... :lol:

its french so next year all the electrics will fail and most of the trim will be hanging off if not broken already. the french aren't far off the italians for reliability :|

Was lovely up to this point though.

Are you sure is was a clio?

I've never driven a Clio, but I know I'd rather have one than a Stilo... poor girl....

:lol: :clap: