Sign in to follow this  
kentyboy

dipped headlights failed,help!!!

bought my 1.8 16v in february,overly pleased with her,tornado red,grey leather,lowered,borbet c's nice car,it has had the headlight conversion done,problem is i do not know any thing about the conversion,my dipped beams have failed and do not know exactly where to start looking,done the obvious,checked fuses etc,bulbs look ok! main beam works and sidelights work,so i figure its not the switch,if anybody could throw some light {excuse the pun}to the situation it would help tremendously,its a bit of a bitch cruising around at night with no lights,cheers ...

Check the fuses and the relays again. One of them is more than likely to be to blame! I've replaced countless fuses and even a relay on my nightmare of a headlight wiring loom, so wouldn't rule anything out!

Try replacing the switch. I tried the one out of my mk 2 golf and they worked again so the switch was to blame as the sma ething happened to me. Once you proved the switch you can go from there, I think this is a notorious fault with them. Does it have an uprated wiring loom?

yes it does have an uprated loom,but the main beams work,so i figured that the switch is making contact to switch the lights on,its just when i go from main to dipped that they do not work?

yes it does have an uprated loom,but the main beams work,so i figured that the switch is making contact to switch the lights on,its just when i go from main to dipped that they do not work?

Hi Paul, glad to hear you're still pleased with the old girl.

Gotta be one of the two relays in the loom. (They sit just downstream from the battery, you can't miss em.)

Should be able to get them replaced at Halfords or suchlike.

Is she behaving herself other that that though?

It's likely a relay, particularly if both dips are on the same circuit, but don't write off the possibility that the two dips have failed simultaneously and you just need new bulbs. It's happened to me before now. Not saying it is that mind, but don't dismiss the possibility just because it's both bulbs and the high beams work - it's usual for either the dip or high beam filament in an H4 to fail leaving the light working fine on the other setting.

Is the yellow coil unplugged which is sat on the passenger side inner wing? It should be for the low beam to work :)

Neil.

It's likely a relay, particularly if both dips are on the same circuit, but don't write off the possibility that the two dips have failed simultaneously and you just need new bulbs. It's happened to me before now. Not saying it is that mind, but don't dismiss the possibility just because it's both bulbs and the high beams work - it's usual for either the dip or high beam filament in an H4 to fail leaving the light working fine on the other setting.

I too had a double filament failure, spent ages chasing fuses and relays!

The next time I had the same symptom I bought two bulbs and it was a fuse, typical!!

found the problem!turns out to be one of the headlamp relays,swapped the dipped wires to the main headlights relay,and the dipped headlights worked,went to halfords and they do a relay that is fused,thus protecting the relay and your expensive 50% brighter bulbs they are made by ring,partno rlfk 1230f,30amp 12v relay,you will need two at £6.49pence each,brilliant idea,if anything fails just replace the fuse....

Glad you got it sorted Paul! Thought it would be a relay, knew it wouldn't be the bulbs as they were replaced with £60 worth of upgraded items when I fitted the loom about a month before you bought her.

When you gonna get some recent pics up? :D

when it stops raining mate,gonna go to stonor park this weekend coming,weather permitting,shall give her a spruce up and post some pics up!!!

Is the yellow coil unplugged which is sat on the passenger side inner wing? It should be for the low beam to work :)

Neil.

Mate you have just helped me with this lil facto, been scratching my head as to why I couldnt get sides...... thanks very much!! :clap: