Sign in to follow this  
Philuk

What tyres to stretch and how to stop catching

i think im gonna have to go for 205/40 seen as the 215 still catch slightly, on the back. this is after i have had arch work done, i could raise the car a bit but i didnt want to really. lol. i can get hold of yoko parada's and avon tyres fairly cheap but i was wondering if anyone knew if they would stretch easy enough onto the 9" rims. also is there anything else i can do to try and stop the catching lol :) ive heard something about shaving the4 discs down but i dunno if its true or not?

I had 6mm machined off the face of new rear discs and it helped a lot.

Its caught twice since doing this, but both times were due to bad roads/the speed. (once on the motorway) It never catches day to day, just those two occasions.

Edit:215/40/16's on 9x16's...late style G60.

Neil. :)

am thinking about taking the wheels to have some machined off the wheel backs. it hink it will only need maybe 3 or 4 mm so gonna get 3mm taken off. are the discs on the G60 the same idea as the VR, ie they are your hub aswell, if so what did you do because teh wheels bolt into the discs on the VR by the looks of things, is it more recommended to have some taken off the discs or the wheels. the wheels have a decent amount of metal behind them still.

Add i have been on the PM to bally. seems he has had a decent amount of archwork done overall, starting to think i should of got him to do more to the arches lol but nm :D

i had the rear arches pulled 3/4" each side which had completly done the trick, no rubbing, low ride and can still take people in the back, even over big bumps when the whole car compresses.

It wasnt cheap to do £240 before paint, but the job is flawless, and parked next to a stock corrado, it looks PHATER at the back. The job was done by Shaun at Creative Colour Workshop in poole (nr bournemouth)

i use 215 / 40 / 16 on my 9" borbets

going back to wide wheels on thursday to have more rear archwork done and a bit done on the front :) woop woop will let you know what comes from it!

Ask Bally as you know he has the 9's well low

evening...

do VR's have a wider track?

I get abit of catching on the rear on really bumpy roads.. fronts seem to be my problem.. need later wings..

205/40/16's will help...

from what i have ready bally, yes the VR has a wider track. i got the entire lip rolled and flattened, i kno im not as low as you are but its stopped it catching :D, the rear now only catches over the worst bumps :D love it now!

Positive effects of tyre stretching:

Nil

Negative effects:

Rims left totally exposed to kerb rash damage

Tyres distorted due to being fitted to too wide a rim requiring much higher inflation pressures to prevent excessive wear on the edges of the tread surface

Rough choppy ride due to higher inflation requirements

Likelyhood of actually having the tyre coming off the bead if impacted

Higher wear rate on suspension components

Higher wear rate on wheel bearings

Poor directional stability due to wrong offset being used

You do the maths.......the best handling car built in the 90s will no longer feel that great to drive

But hey, it's your car... hopefully you won't be in the market for one of these anytime soon:

coffin_construction_13.jpg

got any pics or you wide arse end :D :D

cant say i like that look but its only personal taste but i would like to see

what all you hard work looks like

kel

agreed it looks very wide and a good job done

shame you have to stretch the tyres for that look and you cant fit 19's that wide then it would look wide lol would look like a solid tyre across the rear end almost !!!

imo it looks like the tyres will come off the rims if you give it large round corners :shock: how does it handle with the tyres like that ?

does anybody have any problems with stretching tyres apart from the rubbing and catching ????

kel

from what i have ready bally, yes the VR has a wider track. i got the entire lip rolled and flattened, i kno im not as low as you are but its stopped it catching :D, the rear now only catches over the worst bumps :D love it now!

Cool nice one, glad you got sorted...

myns all the way down on the fk coilies... plus Im running camber shims for that extra tuck :D

hey bally what wheels and tyres are you running they look very wide ?

kel

Hi there fella.. Im running 9x16's allround with 205/40/16 rubber.. got a readers ride post.. feel free to have a look in members gallery :D

i might just do that in a mo

your c looks really good in your avatar pic

unlike my sad vr at the mo

think i will do a members gallery actually from neglect for 1.5 years sitting to all tarted up back to a1 again

hmm good idea

i know a bit off topic sorry

kel

i might just do that in a mo

your c looks really good in your avatar pic

unlike my sad vr at the mo

think i will do a members gallery actually from neglect for 1.5 years sitting to all tarted up back to a1 again

hmm good idea

i know a bit off topic sorry

kel

Thanks mate.. been a 5yr project.. still plenty to come...

I love VR's but cant justify having one as a daily with fuel prices the way they are!!!

for sure not a cost effective daily drive now unless you have bags of money on tap or shares with all the major oil companies

thats why my daily drive is a diesel bmw 120 m sport although my vr6 was my daily drive for 5 and a bit years and i loved every minute of it

corrado for weekend and summer fun now !!!! :D

kel