Sign in to follow this  
Chris Langdon

help under bonnet sound proofing

ive brought some new under bonnet sound proofing for my vr, i started taking the old stuff of,which end up falling off as i touched it, however the glue that originally stuck it there, IS STILL THERE and will not shifting, the missus even came out to help, which was great to start off with, but i nearly went down for murder :) when i caught her wanting to use jiff and a skrower :bad-words: :cuckoo:

so whats the best way without damaging the paint work and gettin the glue off so i can put the new ones on!

cheers

Chris

ah, the NASA space programme by-product that is VW sound proofing adhesive, you'll never shift that :mad2:

there's a long list of chemicals listed in varoius threads for this stuff, I'f have a go with petrol, white spirit, basically anything solvent like stuff you can get your hands on and do a lot of scraping with a plastic spatula :bad-words:

Avoid, Nitro-mors, brake fluid etc though and anything else that likes to eat paintwork.

Glue thinners mate....

B&Q have some Evostik glue remover under the counters (to keep away from the sniffing druggies) and it's the best thing bar none for shifting old glue :wink:

And nope, it doesn't damage the paint.

Yes B&Q evostick glue remover will shift it in good time, did mine in about 20 mins...put on with a brush and remove with a old cloth straight away, don't leave to soak in as you will be wasting time and product.