Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Riley's 225 quid Corrado valver - Sold.

1991 Corrado 1.8 16v in red (pink) , 6 months mot and 3 months tax.

It was advertised for £400 and as being stood for 4 months, and had some problems...

The battery was totally dead, not even accepting charge...But when jump leads were used the alarm would sound and couldn't be turned off with fobs or anything. The immobiliser activated too stopping it from being started.

It had four 17" alloys but a tyre was damaged, so a 15" sebring was fitted on one front side, when moving the car/driving it last time, it was all over the road! big time!

So anyway, i decided to travel to manchester with Manny to have a look and see if i could get it running.

First problem occured before meeting Manny, i got stopped by a cop and got done for my 1 german plate on the rear (£30 quid fine) but im just glad he didn't notice the front plate which is made from plastic mesh! :lol: Why he didn't look at the front of the car i don't know!

radovalverfirstpics1.jpg

fmicproject37.jpg

11.jpg

A quick pic before setting off in Manny's G60 beast:

radovalverfirstpics.jpg

Upon arrival, having a look around the car there were a few issues.

Battery is the flattest ive ever come across.

There is a hole above the passenger door handle where someone broke in.

The drivers side handle dosn't operate central locking.

Oil temp on mfa dosn't work.

Speaker grills on door cards missing/1 painted silver.

Water/coolant leaking from both rad hoses and expansion tank hose.

Absolutely no oil in the sump!

Paintwork is very,very badly faded...Dosn't really show in pics.

Wearing three 17" alloys and one 15"

Steering all over the place due to a spigot ring used on the 15" alloy.

Very badly corroded brake discs all round.

Corroded spark plugs.

Different keys for doors/no key for boot!

Broken seat belt clip.

Gear lever sloppy,struggle to get gears.

Gear knob missing top and worn.

Noisy rear wheel bearing.

Water light flashing all the time.

Missing one parcel shelf strap.

Missing 16v grill badge.

Crap painted red rear vw badge.

Good points:

Body is very straight and solid apart from passenger door damage.

Headlights/fogs/indicaters are mint for a corrado!

Leccy spoiler works!

Interior is quite tidy and should clean up well.

Full magnex exhaust sytem.

All leccy windows/mirrors etc work.

Sunroof fully working.

Custom dials, nice!

New looking front subframe which are now obsolete and bad for rusting!

Drives quite well.

Hardly any pressure/oil blows out of breather or rocker cover!

Full vw service history up to 2004

Every mot cert.

First thing was to become an auto-electrician! :lol: and fully remove the alarm/immobiliser...All went well and i made sure all the original wiring went back together safely enough to drive it for the time being.

radovalverfirstpics7.jpg

We bought a little oil and turned it over and it span over! no alarm or immobiliser stopping it now :D

But it was turning very slowly and not firing.

So i removed the plugs, all seemed to have burnt quite nicely previously...And i did a compression test. Around 190 on 3 cylinders and 175 on cylinder 1.

Checked for a spark which was there...and replaced the plugs after cleaning them up.

This time we conected the jump leads direct to the car wiring (leaving the battery out of the equasion). After several attempts....it fired and ticked over very smoothly!

It revved fine, apart from under load (misfiring)

Took it for a test drive (very carefully due to really badly corroded brake discs) and the steering wheel was literally jumping out of my hand!

Got back and removed the 15" sebring wheel to find a spigot ring which wasn't allowing the wheel to seat properly. So we threw on two steelies at the front (Cheers for bringing those Manny!) and test drove again, problem solved.

Next issue was coolant leaking from both rad pipes and expansion tank pipe...I twisted the pipes round with the clips to try reseating them and ridding the crystalisation.It worked for both rad pipes...but the exp tank pipe needed chopping and refitting.

Next thing was to deceide whether i could risk driving it back home (rad could throw its water out/pipes could burst/could blow up or anything!) So i decided...£225 quid and its worth a shot...I could either try and save it or break it.

We borrowed a few bottles of water, and set off home. :)

The drive home went absolutely spot on, after throwing some fresh fuel in the misfire seemed to mostly clear, the temp gause sat at 80/90 all the way and it sounded mint!

It comes off cold start nicely,ticks over mint and runs really well!

Here's some pics anyway....Ive never bought such a heap! :lol:

radovalverfirstpics12.jpg

radovalverfirstpics3.jpg

radovalverfirstpics6.jpg

radovalverfirstpics5.jpg

radovalverfirstpics4.jpg

radovalverfirstpics11.jpg

radovalverfirstpics9.jpg

radovalverfirstpics8.jpg

radovalverfirstpics10.jpg

radovalverfirstpics13.jpg

radovalverfirstpics14.jpg

radovalverfirstpics15.jpg

Gonna save it rather than break it i think, way too many corrado's get broken!

Ive got some zimmerman cross drilled front discs and mintex pads on the way...Will post pics of the current brakes when i swap them, they are not good :lol:

Neil.

another bargain valver, niceone. Doesnt look to bad tbh. Bodywork looks clean in the pics :clap:

Gav

Aye, body is quite straight and solid Gav :D Its just very,very pink (shows in pics of rear where its not wet)

Looks much better in the pics in all honesty!

Neil.

Deceided im gonna save it and use it as a daily :D Why not keep it alive eh :D

Can't wait to post pics of the brakes like...Jesus the drive home was fun :lol: It does have a few problems as listed in first post, but all fixable and its a red corrado valver! :D

Neil.

Nice one Neil!

Something looks weird about the front end though, are the headlights from a late car or something? they seem to sit back a bit?

Other than that it looks pretty straight for the cash.

Good work mate! That's a decent price seeing the magnex is worth a few hundred and especially as you got it running so well.

You and I should start the "Rough and Cheap Corrado Valvers Club"! :nuts:

seriously though, tornado red does fade like MC Hammer's haircut, but it can be brought up. Let me know if you need anything as I still have a shed full of lots of parts and would be happy to let them go for a steal if you need anything! :salute:

Not sure about the headlights Walesy, i just presumed its how they sat on earlier cars...they line up mint with the bonnet? :oops:

Boost monkey, ill take those sebrings off yours mate :D :lol:

Cheers man...Off the top of my head i need:

A set of wheels, sebrings or similar oe style

both black door speaker covers

drivers seat belt clip

Parcel shelf strap(S)

normal bee sting whip

orange side repeaters (think i have some)

and erm...Can't think right now. :D

Glad to see another one saved. Looks like a bit of a bargain to me - a little bit of tidying and a bloody good going over with the Autoglym Super Resin Polish and it'll look tip top!

Gonna use meguiars heavy cut cleaner on it Jim 8)

The sunroof works fully and fast! :o

New rotor arm and dizzy cap, the misfire has gone i think, need to drive it!

radovalver26085.jpg

Used autoglym engine and machine cleaner under the bonnet/door shuts/boot shut/all over the mouldy rubbers, and then jet washed.

radovalver26083.jpg

Piccy trying to show how pink it is...still dosn't really show up!

radovalver26082.jpg

Still need a battery!

radovalver2608.jpg

radovalver26081.jpg

I already gave you my speaker grills mate but i may have the original bee sting whip you can have dude, just literally the bit you screw off you need?

I already gave you my speaker grills mate but i may have the original bee sting whip you can have dude, just literally the bit you screw off you need?

Aye...just the long screwy onny bit i was after mate :D Its got an ally one on there, but im not keen really, want to try and get it near standard as possible. 8)

How much to throw your way?

Cheers mate.

Neil.

If you're interested for the sake of originality, i've got an early 16v grille badge i've been meaning to stick up for sale for a while. It's in perfect condition.

You interested mate?

Possibly Jim, as long as there's no scene tax on it! :lol:

Can you throw me a pic/price please mate 8)

Ive just found the original vehicle pre-check notes from vw too! and every mot :D

Neil.

I have no idea what a badge goes for tbh! How about £5 posted? I'll get a pic in the next day or so - its in the back of the garage and i've got no lights in there.. and its just getting dark out now! :(

Inspiring dude, nice one.

Some Corrado on Corrado open bonet pr0n too, nice.

Cheers chaps, i feel really good about saving it :D Gonna enjoy bringing it back to its former glory i think :D

Joe... :lol: Nah, ive decided im rebuilding the mk1 now mate, but ive got a valver lump sat in the unit anyway...mmmm

I have no idea what a badge goes for tbh! How about £5 posted? I'll get a pic in the next day or so - its in the back of the garage and i've got no lights in there.. and its just getting dark out now! :(

Jim, if its mint (Riley style mint :lol: ) , ill have it mate :) Throw me a pic whenever you can and ill paypal you the monies? :)

Neil.