Sign in to follow this  
jezzaG60

Heated Windscreens

Just wondered if anyone had thought about having a heated screen for their corrado? (Like the type you find on Fords where there is a very fine heater mesh in the glass)

Curious as there was a group buy running on Clubgti for Mk1 and Mk2 ones. If we could get together enough interest it may be possible to have some made!

they're great in the winter but those zig-zaggy lies annoy me a bit, must be worse as I'm slightly short sighted and tend to focus on stuff close to.

How much were the mk1/2 group buys going for, can't imagine they'd be cheap?

It'd be interesting to see the cost of these, can't see them being cheap, but it'd be a nice upgrade for winter...

thats not bad they take some good amps to keep them running thou thats why there normally on timers so you dont leave them on to long.

iirc, the cost based on 10 screens being ordered was just under £200 delivered.

did you do anything about this? I find it interesting that we all have a missing switch on the dash, right next to the fog switches.... could be useful to alter and run a heated screen. If you were to make enquiries I'd be up for this.

I didn't really persue this as there didn't seem to be much interest.... but i will make a few more enquiries as i'm dying to get a new screen for mine and one of these would be a cool mod i think......

I didn't really persue this as there didn't seem to be much interest.... but i will make a few more enquiries as i'm dying to get a new screen for mine and one of these would be a cool mod i think......

How far exactly did you get with this? The Galaxy, runs a dedicated loom, with its own relay, and its own switch. The switch isnt an ordinary on-off switch, its capacitive, pressing it sends a pulse which throws a relay; there is a sensor which turns off the power when its come up to temp. So the screen needs to have a heater and the sensor all wired. Now oddly there is a spare dummy switch sitting next to the rear heater button on the 'Corrado. It wont take much to enable it to work, and with careful additions one could get the relays and sensors prep'd up. If you can find someone who can produce the screens reliably and contact me, I could work on the design of the surrounding wiring. Email me if you make any progress.

when i have been in or drive a ford with em in i cant concentrate on the roads all i can looka tis the mesh things lol. could be a plan tho :D

there is another option for near instant screen demisting if this doesn't get anywhere.

the vauxhall vivaro van has a rapid heater system, its basically a small manifold that you fit in line with the matrix and has 4 glow plugs in it (similar to the diesel engine glow plugs) and it just heats the coolant up a bit quicker, this also has the added benefit of getting your engine up to temp a bit quicker, although it also takes a lot of current to run but once your engine is running and up to temp you can turn it off.