Sign in to follow this  
daz vr

Rust around the windscreen

Hi all has anyone had bad rust around the windscreen ?? due to windscreen replacement ? i have just taken my windscreen out and low and behold discovered rot !!! has anyone suffered this and what action was taken cheers

Coincidence!

Had my windsreen replaced 5 years ago and had to have the front of the roof completely redone. Since then I am on my 2 further windscreens thanks to the grit (or rocks more like it) that the local council tend to use in the cold weather.

However I am in the process of having exactly the same done again :(. Windscreen obviously needs to come out to allow full access to repair the damage. The car was dropped off at the bodyshop this morning so fingers crossed for a good repair and paint job this time.

Have had people I have spoken to offer 2 opinions!

1. Historical problem with Corrados but not exactly sure why.

2. V poor windscreen fitters!

Hence when they are doing the work this time I have sourced a local windscreen fitter who actually said he likes doing Corrado windscreens! As opposed to every Autoglass fitter who has said they hate them!!!!!

Phoned my insurance company to request that this time I did not want Autoglass fitting the new screen and their reply was "I don't blame you" !!!!!!!!! 5 miles up the road from the last winscreen replacement all the top trim came loose!

Getting the car back Monday so if any different I will let you know but hope you get it sorted and hope mine lasts!

Cheers Churchy

Really pi**ed about it tbh as the rest of the car is mint but i know it had a windscreen before i bought it. It is a genuine vw screen but badly fitted a big gap in the bonding on the pass side a piller has let the water sit behind the trim and the paint must have been marked by the cutting tool thus starting to rot i am getting it fixed but just wanted to know of anyone else who has suffered the same

Cheers

I was just going to ask the same question!

When I had a new screen fitted about 2 years ago, the fitter was moaning that their was rust under it, but he'd managed to stick the new screen to it - me not impressed. Within a few weeks, the windscreen trim rubber was falling off. I think that was an autoglass job as well.

The screen now has a brand new crack in it (don't you love flying stones!), and I need to find a decent place to have it done on the insurance who can also repair the aperture before the new screen is put back in.

If anyone knows anywhere reputable in the Lancashire area I'd be interested.

Sadly, it seems quite common to get rust under the windscreen - the screen itself is bonded in, so in order to get it out, you need to physically cut it out of the car.

The chances of your average trained chimp being able to do that without taking chunks out of the paintwork are pretty low, and thus you get rot after a couple of years :(