Sign in to follow this  
Brando

Collided with a curb

Not a gr8 night Saturday really, turned in abit to quick and hit a 6inch curb with the front and then the back wheels :(, Nasty chip on the front alloy and scratch on the back :/

BUT...... worse than that the steering wheel was way out of aligment. Took it into my local ATS and once they had finished laughing at me they tracked it for me. It was a couple of degrees out.

Took it out and the steering wheel was no where near centre. So took it back in they straightened it up and re-tracked it. Off I went again but this time with one of them in the car. The wheel is still a tiny bit out :(. Only a few degrees and the car drives perfectly straightly even with no hands on the wheel it doesn't pull or change direction at all. I let the ATS manager drive it too and he confirmed the same. His sugestion "if it bothers me, re-align the steering wheel. But the tracking is fine".

Could it be anything else?? I didn't hit it that that hard, but it certainly made a nice dent in my alloy :(. ATS also checked everything out for me and gave it an all clear.

Get a 4 wheel alignment check done straight away. Most vehicle body repairers can do this for you - called an "Optiflex". This will make sure that all 4 wheels are sitting correctly & that you have the correct castor/camber settings.

This will highlight any geometry problems that you have - e.g. bent suspension arms, etc.

Contrary to popular opinion, Tracking does not either cause or correct suspension geometry problems. It is merely an adjustment to make the front tyres wear evenly.

Most vehicle body repairers can do this for you - called an "Optiflex"

Vehicle bodyshops are fully equipped for this type of work. This test/adjustment is carried out on most of the cars which pass through their workshop. Have a look in your yellow pages - this is a geometrical check & virtually all bodyshops will be able to it for you

Most general garages won't have the necessary equipment & neither will places like Kwik Fit, ATS, etc.

Kewl any ideas of cost, and I did read that bit you quoted :) I just meant if anyone knew of anyone near Salisbury they could recomend that did it.

No worries - not sure of price though (maybe around £30-£40). One of my friends owns a bodyshop & does mine free.. :D

my brother did the same thing to my C!!! :mad: The steering wheel was off centre when the car was going straight. Turned out it was a bent tie rod! really bent! :x

But i replaced my control arm bushings and ball joint and stabalizer bar links as well, cost about $300. thats roughly 200 pounds (if i remember correctly!)

Check the tie rod though, hopefully that won't be it

Will

($300 used to be about £200, yes, until the latest US economy slump took the dollar to a staggering £0.57 each...!! :shock: )

w00h00 had its tracking checked again and wheel straightened and it appears fine!

BIG FEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On to the next problem no doubt :D

A testament to VW's build quality, eh?

I did the same thing in a Renault 19 16V once and it wrote the car off. The chassis buckled. French cr@p.

K