Sign in to follow this  
bootsy

G60 fuel consumption!

yep ive had my wiring problems.

good engine mounts stop broken wires.

i used to run rich like this. it was due to the exhaust peeps not plugging my probe in. 2 yrs later n it needed new wires and probe. had a wire on the harness side break.... was then fast learning time to sort out-thanks sam,Gavin,Bilal, Scooby friends others

things to check.

4 wire plug connections are all in plug. they can push out probe side.

all wires are good harness side. they get v brittle.

good earth point on engine mount.

heat wires are live. if not it wont work properly.

wiring to probe from connector. a break and power to the signal wire will fry ECU.

you can tape up the wot switch or just unplug the probe. i go for the unplug.

look down the back ofthe engine, drivers side. theres a plug with 4 wires in it. unplug this. whenyopu start the engine no probe will be used. itll run off the map. if it feels better like this id say you have a probe/wiring issue. uber rich conditions are one of the things that kill probes.

itll be rich but work under full throttle the same as a full y working car if the WOT system is ok. itll run well enough that you wont notice the difference until its plugged in and working right.

ill try and lay my hands on the wideband for the next meet.

which part of manchester are you in.

One thing to not forget - Corrados (all VWs actually) have rear brake calipers prone to seizing. That will cost you around 3-5 mpg, particularly at motorway speeds.

Mine is a VR and pre-calipers (i.e. with seized ones) I'd get 27/28mpg on the motorway, with new calipers I regularly see 31-33 mpg.

Worth checking.

Think you forgot to mention the billowing smoke and burning smell that accompanies driving with seized callipers..... I got a few looks from people I'll say that. Since then I always park it in gear and not on the handbrake (habit learned from my Golf)..

firstly a huge thankyou to everybody thats taking the time to post and try to help out :D , GazzaG60 i'm in Swinton and work in Sale and to everybody on here i'm an ex panel beater and painter of some note, so if theres any help or information i can provide dont hesitate to ask.

i'm gonna mess about with the o2 sensor first cos its easy n i can get a new one cheap :shock:, and i've read all the stuff from sns and on vortex i'll report back on monday when i will have no doubt broken lots more stuff :oops:

Gazza thanks in particular if you can get hold of the wideband it would be fantastic till monday then :mad:

Think you forgot to mention the billowing smoke and burning smell that accompanies driving with seized callipers..... I got a few looks from people I'll say that. Since then I always park it in gear and not on the handbrake (habit learned from my Golf)..

That all depends how badly they're seized, really.. !!

A pullied charger should not make less than 11.6psi, and even so, thats weak. A Stock charger should make ~~11psi in perfect shape!

Sweet my charger is in good shape:)

just need to sort out the MFA :cry:

righto then, i'm pretty certain somthings amiss now the exhaust is acky black and on startup i can even get a whiff of petrol so

Hey Bootsy the smell of petrol may be leaking pipe and may have something to do with your fuel consumption being out. I had the smell of petrol problem in my C (which to be honest didn’t give me a lot of confidence in the car at the time) the problem on existed at start up for around five min. Anywayit turned out that one of the tubes had degraded and was leaking. As it was petrol went to VAG who said to replace the fuel cap lol Went to my another garage guy cut the bad pipe and reattached it never smelt petrol since (unless in petrol station :wink: ). This cost nothing as it was the connection that was the problem so making the tube shorter resolved the problem.

Cheers

i only get 180 miles to a tank of optimax. on a good day down hill. but i'm running grey injectors and 230bhp, never had more than 250 to a tank with the standard engine, they love the juice, mines a pint please...

well i just got 165 to a tank :shock: and i'm just commuting bugger :evil: going to change the o2 sensor tomorrow should have done it this weekend but they were out of stock this is not funny anymore keep looking at that raddo on here thats been converted to diesel :D thats soooo appealing right now

I can get around 400 miles to a 15 gallon tankfull, although usually nearer to 350 cos I tend to thrash it a bit. I also have a very suspect hall sender !!

Running just over 200bhp - R1 charger, 68mm pulley, etc, etc, etc.

You guy's have definitely got a few problems.. :shock:

Main problems/likely areas I've found are :-

knackered charger seals

boost leak

faulty O2 sensor (or faulty wiring to it)

incorrect timing - should be set to approx 7 degrees BTDC if using optimax

vacuum leak - will also cause incorrect MFA readings

I would get somebody to diagnose exactly what's wrong with your car before spending money on parts which may not need replacing !! bootsy - You will save a fortune & a lot of time by booking your car into somewhere like Dubsport & getting the pro's to have a look for you. They're very close to Manchester & may not be far from you.

ok i've given in , cars booked in at Dub Sport on the 22nd :D jeez i hope they find something :cry: even if its the invi9sible hole in the tank :lol:

ok i've given in , cars booked in at Dub Sport on the 22nd :D jeez i hope they find something :cry: even if its the invi9sible hole in the tank :lol:

Don't worry - they'll find what's wrong for you. So long as it's not "using" oil or water & your charger's okay, it shouldn't be too expensive. Probably just a faulty sensor or maybe some bad wiring.

you get how many. . 350 - 400 on a tank, i hope thats in km. my misses 1.4 megane doesn't even do that,.

Ive seen 520 miles with the VR on a full tank but usually get around 400 - 450.....

Pipe and Slippers Steve? - lol :lol: - am only 27!!!

Before my engine expired, I was getting over 330 miles outta a tank on my G60 driving 30miles each way to manchester and back every day... 8)

I did a leasurely trip down to Cornwall in the summer and had to work out my MPG on paper 'cos I didn't believe the 42MPG that the MFA was telling me.... :lol: It wasn't wrong though! :shock: 8)

you get how many. . 350 - 400 on a tank, i hope thats in km. my misses 1.4 megane doesn't even do that,.

I doubt the Megane has a 15 gallon tank though!

Like Henny I reguarly get 330miles out of a tank before I get into the red (with about 2 gallons in reserve)

350-450 miles is easily possible on a long run> 13g x 35mpg = 455 miles

Before I got my car upgraded to stage 4 with 68mm pulley and sns 5.5 chip I could easily hit 30-34 miles per gallon.

The maximum iv had since is around 22 miles per gallon and thats only when im driving very calmly. Usually around 18-21 miles per gallon.

Is this decrease normal? Biggrim has the same setup as me and he usually gets 28 plus

Cheers

DM

Seems ridiculously low - you have a problem. With the mods that I've got I still average 27-28mpg, maybe even 31-32 at 80mph on the motorway !!

I thought that. I put 35 quid of BP ultimate in on Friday afternoon, went to work came home then went to star on saturday morning..... had to fill the tank again to get home from star. That was yesterday and im nearly on the reserve tank again just now.

I cant afford that kind of consumption.

ok guys i'm back :shock: had the raddo on the rollers at Dubsport and everything checks out :mad: there are no significant faults at all , all the sensors are present working and correct the thing even makes reasonable power, suspicion is now heading towards the jabbasport chip and i've been advised to get this looked at as Dubsport are unsure how well and acuratly its mapped . Ive been offered their custom mapping service but its about £250.00 now thats a serious chunk to lay out with no guarantee of a signficant improvement over what i have given that its an unknown ( in fairness i appreciate that my map is unknown to Dubsport so the obviously cant commit to anything). So in short it could make a word of difference or it could make a it a little bit better :( So now i'm unsure what to do do i get it mapped in the new year or do i sell it ????

I might have an original VW G60 chip at home somewhere - send me a PM if you want to try it & I'll see if I can find it for you. If that solves your fuel consumption problem then your Jabba chip is the problem

many thanks Steve, but i've still got the original chip the previous owner supplied it along with the stock pully , however Dubsport advised agaist trying to run it with the smaller pully, saying that in all liklihood it would run lean and risk serious damage. I should have pointed out that this was an option i just dont want to go back to stock power :lol: incidentally i got 190ftlb of torque and 180 bhp with a stock exhaust ( and obviously a slightly rich mixture ) on reflection i think i'm going to try one last time and go for a proper custom map if that doesnt work :mad: then its auto trader time but as i really dont want to sell it heres hoping