Sign in to follow this  
dirtytorque

g60 fan after run

How long should these run on for in your experience people?

Would a low temp rad switch and a spal fan install that couples stage one and two together make the fan run on harder and longer than it should and thus drain the battery?

thnks in advance.

edit:

my fan is still running. :)

it was running when i originally posted this over an hour ago.

My usual run on is at most 5 mins, even after a hard drive (and I have a low temp stat and rad switch).

Ok,so something is very wrong. :grin:

Mine has been running for about 40 minutes now...

ah well the 1st step to fixing things is to realise that there is a problem.

Any sugestions?

Anyone know what switches sensors etc are involved in the after run cct?

It works through the temp sender sat above the fuel rail on the left, it also works in conjunction with the fuel pump through the big fan relay in the engine bay...If the fan is running through the relay and fuel pressure drops below ? then the pump comes on too.

But in the big relay there is a 10 minute maximum timer that should not let it run longer than this...even if its an earth problem (wire on temp sender above fuel rail earthing somwehere) then it should stop after 10 minutes as far as i know...

Neil.

It works through the temp sender sat above the fuel rail on the left, it also works in conjunction with the fuel pump through the big fan relay in the engine bay...If the fan is running through the relay and fuel pressure drops below ? then the pump comes on too.

But in the big relay there is a 10 minute maximum timer that should not let it run longer than this...even if its an earth problem (wire on temp sender above fuel rail earthing somwehere) then it should stop after 10 minutes as far as i know...

Neil.

hmm.ok cheers.

Damn rado's.

just let the car warm up until fan kicked in and turned off.The after run switch is diss'd off.

Thr fan has been running for about 10 minutes and counting.........

not sure if this is of any help or applies to g60s but on my valver i had a stray brown wire that ran in the loom on the drivers side wing, this used to randomly touch the body (wasnt visible) and caused my fan to stay on once i turned the car off. May be worth having a check on yours. heres my original post about it

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49733

not sure if this is of any help or applies to g60s but on my valver i had a stray brown wire that ran in the loom on the drivers side wing, this used to randomly touch the body (wasnt visible) and caused my fan to stay on once i turned the car off. May be worth having a check on yours. heres my original post about it

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49733

cheers wayne.

I will check it out.

:salute:

I think. It is my raddiator switch.

I have disconnected the thermoswitch by the fuel rail and I don't think it has helped.

:scratch:

from the canada site.

The G60 and VR6 use different setups for the after-run systems on each motor. The G60 uses a temp sensor on the back of the head and when this gets triggered it will turn the rad fan and the fuel pump to get both circulating until the temp near the sensor drops enough so that the system is turned off. The temp sensor by the rad is a different sensor and this turns the rad fan on whenever the temp gets hot enough to trigger it. This sensor gets constant power so it does not know you are starting the car or turning it off, it only knows when it is hot enough in the rad end tank to trigger stage 1 or two 2 of the fan. Typically when the G60 has this issue it is because the sensor on the back of the head is gone.

I'll have to change it out.

I hate draining the cooling system.

I think. It is my raddiator switch.

I have disconnected the thermoswitch by the fuel rail and I don't think it has helped.

:scratch:

from the canada site.

The G60 and VR6 use different setups for the after-run systems on each motor. The G60 uses a temp sensor on the back of the head and when this gets triggered it will turn the rad fan and the fuel pump to get both circulating until the temp near the sensor drops enough so that the system is turned off. The temp sensor by the rad is a different sensor and this turns the rad fan on whenever the temp gets hot enough to trigger it. This sensor gets constant power so it does not know you are starting the car or turning it off, it only knows when it is hot enough in the rad end tank to trigger stage 1 or two 2 of the fan. Typically when the G60 has this issue it is because the sensor on the back of the head is gone.

I'll have to change it out.

I hate draining the cooling system.

Does anyone know how to test the big fan controller unit that sits in front of the expansion tank.

They are not cheap so i don't want to buy a new one if I don't have to.

In the bentley only the VR is quoted as having one of these.

In the VR it is connected to one of the 4 point plugs that go on the water pipes on the head.

The g60 obviously dosn't have that plug.

I'm trying to make sense of it but if somone has already done so then it would save me the bother.

cheers.