Sign in to follow this  
dirtytorque

DirtyTorque's G60*Now with 8 more valves*

Thought I'd join in the fun.

I have been on here a while and thought I should contribute.

Lots of pics to update so pls bear with me.

Thnks for looking.

:) I was going to try and do it in chronilogical order but I can't seem to find my fmic install pics :scratch:

My MS install is still a bt raw but fluck it i'll show peeps what I have done anyway.

I have this week off so I am going to tidy it all up.Well thats the plan.

ok,so i warn you all now this is no show car.Its grimey. :D

Anyway I have done the usual g60 stuff.

I run a 68 mm pulley.

Charger is ported to stage 4 spec.

Rsr outlet thingy,mainly to get rid of the horrible oem item which is a pain to take off.

Also have a pro-alloy fmic.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdffmic_andmocal.JPG[/attachment:1xpiecl2]

Corrado92.pdfg60engine.JPG[/attachment:1xpiecl2]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdffmic_boost_pipes.jpeg[/attachment:1xpiecl2]

Now onto the recent stuff.

MS install.

8)

This is the board,I have done a bit of elctronics study in the past which helped but I ddon't think it is essential.

It did help with fault finding but then if your more careful than i was u won't have faults to find.

:wink:

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfmegasquirt_board.jpeg[/attachment:1xpiecl2]

I took the dash out for elbow room.It can probably be done without doing this but I just wanted as much space as possible and plus i wanted to remove the centre console to install vdo guages and an afr.

I also put in a new throttle cable while I was at it.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfdashout.jpeg[/attachment:1xpiecl2]

I have re-used the VW electronics and wiring as much as possible because I don't believe in creating extra work for yourself.(he says after taking the dash out.) :roll:

So i re-used the digifant ecu relay and digifant Fuel pump relay in my megasquirt install.

This is all done via the G1 harness connector on the back of the fuse panel.

the bentley was very accurate and enabled me to identify the wires that I had to splice into easily.

enuff for now.

Many thnks.

:)

Thought I'd join in the fun.

I have been on here a while and thought I should contribute.

Lots of pics to update so pls bear with me.

Thnks for looking.

Looking good! :thumbleft: What's next on the horizon for this fine example of automotive engineering?

PS. Is that herringbone brick paving in the foreground? :grin:

Looking good! :thumbleft: What's next on the horizon for this fine example of automotive engineering?

automotive engineering? :D

wouldn't go that far..

:lol: :thumb right:

stay tuned.

looks good, did you do the MS after the FMIC and did you notice a difference in performance?

I did the FMIC b4 the MS.

Difference in performance with the FMIC?

Yes,but its not as night and day as say the 68mm pulley,but i think it will come into its own now with the other mods I have planned.

Sorry I wasn't very clear :scratch:

Did you notice much of a performance increase with the MS?

I have been asked this a fair bit.

The reason I am installling MS is for my next project.A 16vg60.

So I am learning about efi in general and learning the MS system and practicing tuning on my current setup.

MS will not give you better performance than a well tuned digifant chip.

Any standalone map is only as good as the tuner.I was impressed with my jabba chip.I liked the feal of the car.

So to answer your question I think at the moment it pulls at least as hard as it did under my jabba chip low down ,and at the top end with the aid of my wideband I think it is better than the jabba chip.

I have done all the tuning on my own so far so i need a couple of co-pilot sessions so i can really dial in the advance,and then maybe a couple of rolling road sessions.

All that said I am confident that when I am done it will be better than my jabba chip as i can hopefully exploit the fmic and the charger porting.

I also have just installed a schrick,vernier with red-tops and so I have to re-do my map.

This is where standalone comes into its own,i.e exploiting any mods you make. :)

This is the 1st time I have done anything like this,but i am enjoying the learning curve.

Hello again.

Ok,I have had some redtops to go in for a while as I was sailing pretty close to the wind at 100 % duty cycle on hard driving.

This would only be exacerbated by my new cam. :)

Corrado conversion V2 (3).pdfcam_install_red_tops0011.jpeg[/attachment:1wpt5s70]

I also have been putting off changing the infamous g60 crank bolt.So I thought I should do it now rather than have it spoil the party as it were.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfcam_install_red_tops0020.jpeg[/attachment:1wpt5s70]

Book1.pdfcrankpulley.JPG[/attachment:1wpt5s70]

New bolt

ETKA Corrado.pdfcam_install_red_tops0014.jpeg[/attachment:1wpt5s70]

So out with the old...

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfcam_install_red_tops0002.jpeg[/attachment:1wpt5s70]

Corrado92.pdfcam_install_red_tops0006.jpeg[/attachment:1wpt5s70]

And in with the new.

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfcam_install_red_tops0009.jpeg[/attachment:1wpt5s70]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfcam_install_red_tops0015.jpeg[/attachment:1wpt5s70]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfcam_install_red_tops0017.jpeg[/attachment:1wpt5s70]

cam_install_red_tops0019.jpeg[/attachment:1wpt5s70]

Ok so cutting to the chase,the schrick does exactly what it says on the tin.

My idle is only slightly wobbly and that's with no real tuning efforts yet.

The power is good.A rolling road may of picked up a slight loss in low end grunt but it wasn't noticeable from where I was sat. :)

Mid-range is very nice indeed.

It will do me,4 now.

:smug:

Ta.

:p

Cool :grin: I've heard that injectors get very inaccurate when running at more than 80% duty cycle, so swapout for the reds is a very good call! :lol:

What profile is the Schrick? Seems to be some variance in how they are measured and reported, like degrees between 0.002" lift for the marketing spiel(!) and degrees between 0.05" lift for accurate tuning, or somesuch...

Wise choice with the crank bolt too, another worry to cross off the list! :wink: Good to see plenty pics as well :thumbleft:

PS. you need to sort out the white balance on your camera cos I was shivering when looking at some of those cold blue pics! :shock:

What profile is the Schrick? Seems to be some variance in how they are measured and reported, like degrees between 0.002" lift for the marketing spiel(!) and degrees between 0.05" lift for accurate tuning, or somesuch...

Its the 268/276 g60 schrick cam.

still fairly mild so as to not ruin the feel of the engine.(imo)

I need to get some tangible results soon,like a power run or a quarter mile.

For all I know I have made the car slower. :)

Dosn't feel like it though.

PS. you need to sort out the white balance on your camera cos I was shivering when looking at some of those cold blue pics! :shock:

:lol:

then you know to wear a jacket when reading my thread from now on.

I'll look at the settings on the camera. :roll:

Geez,like I havn't got enough to do.

Ah so now you have fitted a cam and now maybe feel a little loss low down and gained a little more further up the rev range your starting to like it eh??? :thumb right:

Told you :wink:

Ah so now you have fitted a cam and now maybe feel a little loss low down and gained a little more further up the rev range your starting to like it eh??? :thumb right:

Told you :wink:

You couldn't resist could you. :D

Actually it is still quite puchy low down but its in the mid-range that it has picked up.So yeah i have shifted the power over a bit to the right but it is still as per my original brief.

So there.

:p

Are you still retiring the g60T?

And i agree you still do prob have the same punch as before but more mid to top, but as i said before stop worrying about graphs so much and see how it actually feels, which it seems i too am right then hahahahaha, now for my next prediction......

Now you are liking the extra urge in the mid to top end range you will find yourself wanting more and more, now if your going 16vG60, you will have the low punch but with a better flowing revvy engine that will make lots and lots of power mid range to top end, which you WILL enjoy a heap load more than the poxy low end pinch :D :D :D :wave: trust me.... see below

Yes its def been retired now, its been fun for the last 4 years but i need more mid to top end power now :D see a theme here :lol: :cuckoo: :salute:

:thumbleft: Will you put it on a Rolling Road for us? :) Interested to see the graph!

And i agree you still do prob have the same punch as before but more mid to top, but as i said before stop worrying about graphs so much and see how it actually feels

I agree ,driving feel is important but I have spent a fair bit of money not to mention time on the car so i'd like to know what I have done is helping the car.

Will you put it on a Rolling Road for us? Interested to see the graph!

Hold that thought.

Yea im not saying to ignore the graphs just dont become obsessed with getting a perfect torque curve or whatever, if it feels good and makes you smile then thats better than any graph.

Yea im not saying to ignore the graphs just dont become obsessed with getting a perfect torque curve or whatever, if it feels good and makes you smile then thats better than any graph.

I understand what your saying we all have bum dynos but they can be pretty inaccurate. And yes a graph will only tell what a car puts out in a certain gear at FT. But dirtytorque and myself spend time working on our cars trying different things and I think like to be a bit more scientific about what the changes we have made have done to the power graph. A lot of the changes I have made have been all about drivability and daily use not at all about maximum hp. I think you understand where we are coming from. I agree a lot of people want a certain hp or lb/ft and go balls out for it but the cars are horrible to drive. :wink:

I do understand where your both coming from and i do too like to see what difference it has made, it was the fact that Rob made a comment on JMC's car after he put the cam in and it lost low down torque with not much gain in the top end kind of thing, now Rob has done the same basically and he loves it more that way although originally on JMC's he prob thought it would have been better with the original cam, so my point was it how it feels in the bum :camp: that matters more than a graph, although i agree its good to see what a difference things have made. So to clarify on paper it can look worse to what you think you want yet actually feel better/more enjoyment/grin factor when driving.

I am now stuck in the i want x amount of power and will make it undriveable to get it lol :D its not a daily so feck it who cares, 10-11 second quarters here i come :clap:

I do understand where your both coming from and i do too like to see what difference it has made, it was the fact that Rob made a comment on JMC's car after he put the cam in and it lost low down torque with not much gain in the top end kind of thing, now Rob has done the same basically and he loves it more that way although originally on JMC's he prob thought it would have been better with the original cam, so my point was it how it feels in the bum :camp: that matters more than a graph, although i agree its good to see what a difference things have made. So to clarify on paper it can look worse to what you think you want yet actually feel better/more enjoyment/grin factor when driving.

I am now stuck in the i want x amount of power and will make it undriveable to get it lol :D its not a daily so feck it who cares, 10-11 second quarters here i come :clap:

There was some confusion with JMC's cam in terms of the naming convention.

I thought it was a 285 :shock: but apparently it is a 276 or something like that.However personally I would have gone for something milder as I have,i.e a schrick 268 or a newman 264 to play to the g60's strengths but I am still new to this game and J has been modding his car longer than I have so i am sure he knows his own mind.

Anyway I think it is useful if as many people as possible with modified g's to put up their graphs and post their experiences for people to see and judge for themselves so they can make informed decisions.

I am having fun with this stuff regardless so that all that counts.

8)