Sign in to follow this  
f15h

Hello,

This will be my first post on this site. Just like to start by giving a big thank you to the site for the info I got from it for things to look for when buyin a rado.

I have always loved the rado and when I found out my cousin was selling his storm I gave him a shout straight away.

Really like the car and i know its been well looked after.

Here are the pics that he sent me: -

dsc00828ml6.th.jpg

dsc00833xe2.th.jpg

dsc00834hk1.th.jpg

dsc00836nw2.th.jpg

dsc00838rt4.th.jpg

Car has done just over 90k and apart from some scratches and stone dents is in really good nick.

Will post some pics up when I have given it a good t-cut and polish.

The car is pretty much standard apart from the head unit and it looks like uprated ht leads(?)

I want to do a few bits to it, like lower it, but retain the standard kit for if and when I sell it.

I picked the car up on Saturday and my first real drive in it was a 300 mile trip up and accross country. Loved every minute of it.

Compared to my clio valver the c is luxury.

Cheers for looking, Im sure you will be getting regular updates and will be posting lots of question.

it looks like uprated ht leads(?)

What gives you that idea? Are they a differant colour?

Welcome to the forum & to 'rado ownership. You have the best model & colour too :grin: :grin:

Yeah they're red ones ,cant see a make on them tho.

It is a nice color, really like the green but wouldnt fancy the cream interior.

I gave the car a quick trial t-cut last nite on the passenger wing and it came up really well, scratches are already less noticaable and paint work feels alot smoother.

I will defo have to go to town on it with the polish and wax tho, hasn't really been done in ages.

Its also been sat for a while, im getting a bit of hesitation when accelerating wondered bout puttin some redex in.

Anyone used any in the vr - or people had issues in the past with it. Not had a problem on any of my previous cars but rather safe than sorry.

Cheers

well dont worry about the red leads mate, ive heard that red are standard. this came from KIPVW on here (he is well into concourse so is all about OEM)

Id do a lil search on here to see if anyone has ideas with regard to the hesitations you are getting. If its an ignition problem then it should be easy to investigate. Check plugs, leads etc. 8)

Cheers for the comments, im hoping to give it a good clean this weekend so will post some clean pics of here.

Not worried bout standard to be homnest, wanna upgrade certain stuff. Im wondering if new dizzy cap, ht leads and spark plugs would help out a bit.

Are there any recommended plugs and is there any group buys etc on ht leads through the forum.

Sorry to ask so many questions, still in the excited new car mode at the mo. Wanna find out as much as pos.

Cheers

AHA i found you MR Fish

yo nath,

Just posted on ur Facebook, was hoping it was a mystic blue storm you got . Looks bloody nice mate, very original and a perfect base for a project. Guess you have T-Cut it now - Bluey purple goodness no doubt, The colour is very similar to my golf.

What kind of look you going for.. a bit of research show you like US spec bumpers - interesting...

hope you have had a chance to service it now. the HT leads are very important - dub power /storm/stealth all supply uprated ones. You know Dave Wathen dont you.. we went up to Storm developments in his recently an some decent leads added 6hp where is original ones were breaking down an arching at high revs. He saw 233hp in the end - DJs valver put down 156hp to which is a pretty much standard engine excepty exhaust /air filter.

Dave

How you doin dave,

Good bit of investigatory work there. That is my car.

Yeah I have t-cut here a few times and alot of polish and wax has been applied, started to get a bit better shine to it and some of the scratches are less noticable. The paint is certainly alot flatter. Is a really nice colour, espcially in the sun(when we have some) The pearl from purple to blue is well nice.

I wanna get rid of the 4X4 style suspension n possibly get some alloys. Aint likin the lights either, wanna tint them or get some crystals on the go. As usually the fogs are smashed on the front so need to replace them. Apart from that its more tidyin I wanna do. Patch up the stone chips on the bonnet n try gettin a few of the dents and scrathes out. Wanna keep it lookin vaguely standrad, just updated a bit.

Would'nt mind smoothin it off a bit, different door handles n yeah US spec bumpers look sweet, but thats for a long time in the future me thinks...

Im not sure, his name doesn't ring a bell but may know him by face. May have to look into that then mate. what else has he had done to it. fair dos to DJ, thats some goin, I remember how strong it pulled that time I went in it n that was ages ago before he'd done any work to it

Cheers Mr Addict.

Its certainly not bad for a 13year old car. Its been looked after thats for sure. Just needs a bit of tlc as it'd be sat for a while.

My regular commute down the M6 to work has certainly blown out the cobwebs tho. The acceleration and sound for that matter is improved. I had it MOT'd the other day and it passed no probs, i couldn't believe how low the emmissions were - may look into decatting it lol!

Cheers for the posts

Yo Nath,

no escaping me lol

I like the sound of your plans, smoothing an subtle changes to the exterior is also my way of doing things.

Having looked into US spec stuff i did find a company - "ARZ tuning" in Germany who supply Euro OEM+ US spec stuff and you can view there website in English which helps! I didnt see corrado bumpers on there but wasnt looking so they might do them! If not the guys on VWvortex can be helpful as its US based so somone might know a part supplier.

Dave - was in year below us, either way his rado was running 2.9 with a grant motorsport head, 264 cams, 6 branch and straight through system- still had the cat on it due to strange running problems . Although 233hp is good the engine has a lot more to give, the ECU was duff and the piston rings were shot to pieces.

The main reason his did so well is the head - really shows what a difference a well ported/flowed head can do with a good set of cams. Id rather run DR 288s though an look at the C2 motorsport software and that spec should be pushing toward 240/5ish.

your hesitation issue may well be the leads and ignition related!!

DJ - still doesnt realise how lucky he has been with his golf, next to no issues in the time he has had it- its a good one. he did say if the 16v does ever go he'd VR it but doesnt look like engine going anytime soon an its on 150+k now lol.

My silver golf bit the dust- rotted to death, still have the blue one which may put VR in and hopefully picking up the rado next month :-)

take it steady

dave

Cheers son, will have a look at that US spec stuff. Money is a bit tight tho at the mo so wont be for a while plus id rather do other bits to it first.

Shite 233hp is damn good if he had them probs! Yeah ive read that the head aint too good, I remember how much difference it made doin it to the 205.

It mite be the leads but i got the mrs to start the car the other night while I had the bonnet up and couldn't see any arcin goin on. To be honest id like to get some uprated leads tho.

Fair dos to DJ that many miles and still no issues, it was quiet tidy too aint it?

So you gonna be gettin your the raddo, does it need much work doin to it?

Right, its been a while since i posted any updates but i haven't been slacking i have done some work on the raddo.

Been gradually feedin the leather seats, which are startin to look a bit better now and certainly feel it.

installed an uprated head unit which has improved the sounds no end, but i am also working on an upgrade to the standard speakers....

Been having the common issue with the car not startin - ecu/immobiliser issue which i have been tryin to investigate n still not sure what it is.

This evenin i have had most of the lower dash out to play with all relays/control boxes and the ignition. Lets see what effect that has.

Strangely enough the ABS light has now gone out after all the messing round as it had been on almost constantly recently.

Right now to the stuff you really want, piccies....

Eyebrow n debadge grille, bought from flusted,aswell as a bonnet bra. Here it is painted n awaiting a tcut:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8338/i ... 251150.jpg

img00004200905251150.th.jpg

Sanded down bumper, hopefully nearly ready for sprayin - if i can manage to get the screws out of the passenger side fog light that is:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/338/im ... 251151.jpg

img00006200905251151.th.jpg

Bump strips removed - glue remains:

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/2729 ... 251151.jpg

img00007200905251151.th.jpg

A slightly less pebble dashed front end, I used a touch up kit to fill in any bigger stone chips n scratches ready for when i get some some bits resprayed n the whole car mopped:

img00008200905251151.th.jpg

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1636/i ... 251151.jpg

Sorry the pic quality aint good, once she's looking a bit tidier I will take some photos with my camera rather than phone...

Hopefully I am trying to tidy up the C ready for Bug Jam this year. No doubt i will not get all of it done in time tho.

Cheers for looking

Right managed to get the front bumper off after some harsh words, a bit of fighting and a bit of crying!

Now im stuck with a bit of a dilemma as the filler primer im using doesn't seem to be up to filling the deeper scratches in the bumper.

This means it looks like it time to use filler - problem is, do i have to rub down all the primer first to the bear plastic or will filler go over the primer???

2moro will be an early one for me as the bumper is currently sat in the back garden n needs to be fitted to the car before i can drive it to work!

Theres nothing like a dead line for getting yourself motivated.....

All this hassle just to save myself £90 on gettin it resprayed - is it worth it?