Sign in to follow this  
gordon c

intermittent starting problem

having an occasional problem on my '93 VR6. occasionaly when i try to start the car,the engine will not fire and i'm getting a clicking noise from the fuel pump relay as the engine is turning over(i think its the fuel pump relay,its the one one the bottom right in the fuse box) i have tried another relay and bypassed the immobiliser just to try and eliminate some things but this hasn't made any difference. i'm starting to think it may be a loose conection somewhere because the car can be fine for days before the problem returns. i have checked the back of the fuse box and everything seems ok.

anyone had this problem??????

Have you tried bypassing (or replacing) the ignition switch? Often shows up as a problem at this time of year where it's getting a bit warmer and plastic around the dash area is getting warmer and expanding - my old G60's ignition switch only used to get funny around summer time when it was getting warmer. You'd turn the key and get the first ignition stages no problem but then actually turn the key to engage the starter and just get nothing for about 2 seconds then suddenly the starter would fire and off it'd go...

i haven't tried anything with the ignition switch yet, when i turn on the ignition the starter engages immediately every time.

but like you say,it has only started playing up with the warmer weather so i'll definately give that a bash, cheers mate :)

Have you tried bypassing (or replacing) the ignition switch? Often shows up as a problem at this time of year where it's getting a bit warmer and plastic around the dash area is getting warmer and expanding - my old G60's ignition switch only used to get funny around summer time when it was getting warmer. You'd turn the key and get the first ignition stages no problem but then actually turn the key to engage the starter and just get nothing for about 2 seconds then suddenly the starter would fire and off it'd go...

dont suppose you know the part numbers for the g60 ignition switch,havin a similar problem :(

also which relays should i be checkin/changin to go with the start up,runnin issue?

There's a similar thread kicking around a bit lower on the board where I've put my 'experiences' on a similar issue.

Edit

Just popped off to find the thread: It's here

mine must be the ignition switch,as when i go over a bump in the road the key is turnin slightly an that's what's cuttin the engine out,should be a cheap fix thank fook