Sign in to follow this  
Madjackal

MOT and related

So Kev very kindly VAGCOM'd my car last night, I need a new cam position sensor, VW advised all they could come up with is a impulse snder, is this the same? And how easy is it to fit?

Also it brought up a complete failure on all four ABS pump valves (i know this is technically drive train but), can anyone advise if they have a 2nd hand pump and also whether Ican use such from other models?

The ABS pump on the VR is common with the Golf Mk3 VR6 and some GTis. Probably some Passats too. It's common and cheap to replace used, and they're normally very reliable so you should expect a replacement to work ok.

Thanks for that! Dont suppose you couls assist in the location and description of the cam sensor could you, only Im ordering a impulse sender from VAG and I wont actually know if its wrong or not! :shrug:

It's been discussed before quite a lot but I don't remember offhand exactly what VW calls it. Have a dig around in the search..

VW know both the Crank and Cam sensor as an "Impulse sender".

The one you want is ~£40. The Crank one is ~£100 and has 10" of wire and a socket. That's the only way to distinguish the two other than giving them the p/n of your existing one.

RE: the ABS pump, did the light come back on after I cleared the codes? If it did, it's forked.

I don't think late Golf VR6s have the same pump as they don't use a rear bias valve, it's all done in the pump, so you want an early Golf VR6 pump, any Corrado VR6 and some passats etc.

The light is still off as of last night, I havent checked it today yet as I walk to work but will have a look tonight.

I cant see this damn sensor, do i have to remove the cover and coil pack before it shows its self?

Ive kinda missed this banter!

Yeah the Spam sensor is under the plastic cover that sits above the Soil pack :D

If the ABS light hasn't come back on, you might be OK. Go out and (try) to lock the wheels up, the light will soon come back on if there's a problem, LOL!

So things went well at the weekend, I changed the cam sensor and it has made a world of difference which is good (thank again Kev). I cleaned my BMC filter changed the sump, oil, oil filter and coolant. Changed all the rusty bolts on the calipers, brake shields and shocks, and put a new ball joint in. I now have better performance and lower engine/oil temps, at 70mph for most of the way home from nottingham oil was averaging 92 degrees and at spells 100mph it never went higher 112 so im quite happy.

Now, all weekend the ABS light has been diligently coming on with the ignition and then turning off. Which has lead me to think that maybe since the VACOM brough up a massive failure of all the valves in the ABS pump that maybe the problem was due to the connection to the pump rather than the pump its self. So I get up today anyway and get in the car take it down for the MOT and of course the light stays on. I have a 2nd hand ABS pump waiting in the wings and will have the MOT results very soon but I am at a loss on this one at present.

By the way does anyone know where to find the thermostat on a 1976 mustang as the haynes manual gives details of how to change it but not its location?

my g60 has failed on the abs light staying on. appears not to have power to the pump havnt taken it anywhere yet waiting for pay day but any clues. also it hunts every now and then on tick over tryed idle valve and just put blue temp sensor in and no joy. thank