Sign in to follow this  
EDy G60

not enough boost

i have just had my charger rebuilt to standard spec with a 68mm pulley

but the boost is still at 0.7 bar is there something i am missing and need to change

it has a stage 1 vw advanced motorsport chip is this any good and can the chip affected the boost

all help wellcome thanks

Have you had any headwork done?

Far too low, even with headwork.

Check for boost leak would be my first guess then check the knock sensor condition but only if you are running a stock ISV setup.

knock sensor opens isv causing boost leak when it detects pinking (or if faulty)

Your guna have a boost leak

I have noticed some pinking on hard driving in my car.

I recently fitted a boost and an air / fuel gauge, under normal driving without boost the mixture is just right but as soon as I hit full throttle the air / fuel turns to lean (no leds lit) and the boost, even at 5500rpm, doesn't even reach 10psi (just over 9psi). I have just fitted a charge cooler and samco hoses and checked for boost leaks after fitting and didn't find any leaks. I am going to be fitting some larger injectors, 68mm pulley and sns chip this week, but am slightly worried about doing this if there is a problem with the car. I had the car looked at for fueling issues and asked the guy to check all the sensors and he did an emissions test and it even passed without the cat. So is there anything else it could be?

reading the buyers guide on the knowledge base this could be down to an apex strip failure on the g-lader? The last re-build was at G-Werks 33k miles ago so it is coming close to needing a re-build and when I put the RSR on the old plastic baffle did have quite a bit of oil in it, should there be any oil out of the charger in the boost pipes or is this a sign of a re-build really being needed?

i had the isv of and blocked up the pipe had a check for leaks no leaks is this going to be the charger it is puting out the same boost as it was before i put on the pulley what is standard boost and what shod i have

this is taken from the corrado buying guide on the wiki

USA EURO Hg(#'s of boost/vacuum) Comments

* 15 200 -23.7

* 55 400 -17.8

* 90 600 -11.9

* 127 800 -5.9

* 148 1000 0 (Atmosphere- ala no boost, charger is bypassed)

* 172 1200 2.9 psi (Your charger is dead or big boost leak)

* 192 1400 5.8 psi (Your charger is about dead or big boost leak)

* 211 1600 8.7 psi (Your charger needs new apex strips or big boost leak)

* 228 1800 11.6 psi (Great for stock pulley, Probably needs new apex strips if 68mm pulley)

* 242 2000 14.5 psi (Great for 68mm pulley on stock charger)

* 255 2200 17.4 psi (Great for 68mm pulley on heavily ported charger, hold on to your ass fast!!)

* 255 and up folks need to be careful with fueling, as the programming maps end at about 242 on the ecu. Dynotuning, and air/fuel/egt gauge, and custom chip recommended

I'm only getting about 9psi at the moment and can't find a boost leak so am guessing it is an issue with the charger :(

you dont mention if you have the black plastic silencer on the charger out let. these are prone to leaking.

advice about the chargecooler. get the biggest rad you can fit. a 'decent' pump. and use the washer bottle as the header- this adds 4L to the system with no extra weight and tidies the engine bay a little . i used a celics gt4 chargecooler rad. it just fits in front of the coolant rad and is huge.this will ensure the charge cooler works reliable

yep. you have boost leak. when the engine is hot things expand. maybe the throttle link is sticking open.?

The plastic pipes by the battery down to the intercooler is not split is it?

This is a common place for a pipe to corrode.

Mine was split there.