Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Bit Of Long Term Advice Needed

Ok here's the situation.

I've got to the point where I've paid things off and can start to actually save etc.

My plan is and always has been to rebuild my VR6's (Corrado) engine to get it ultra reliable, including if it was supercharged.

My engine still works fine (especially as a weekend car) but is getting on a bit now.

I have no mechanical knowledge past what I've read so any answers can you keep in dumb dumb speak! :)

Ques1: How much would you set aside (rough guestimate I know) for a full rebuild if I wanted the above? Parts cost?

Ques2: What would you uprate whilst this is been done? I'd want a reliable engine that could easily take a stage 2 Supercharger.

Ques3: Would it be cheaper to get another VR6 engine (as mines stil working) and get them to rebuild that, then swap over?

My contraints are: Reliable enough not to worry about taking it across Europe etc and up to a stage 2 supercharger. Almost factory fresh/uprated if you will. After much thought I'm wanting to do this over an engine transplant.

Thanks!

another option would be looking into what vag want for a fresh bottom end...theyre not too bad for some models, at least youd know its right

I would heartily recommend running it till it broke, saving your pennies. It might run and run for years without any further work.. :)

I would heartily recommend running it till it broke, saving your pennies. It might run and run for years without any further work.. :)

Very much in agreement with this. Unless you suspect actual problems, it could well continue to run. Rebuilding will only be as good as the parts used in the rebuild (which can fail just as easily as the existing components) and the abilities of the person undertaking the job. Other than out right mechanical failure, on an car that has done a lot of miles, I would suggest that it is the ancillary bits that are more likely to let you down, i.e. cooling system, and electrics. Maybe you start looking at these bits and replacing those you suspect to be on there way out. Of course if you are set on supercharging to significantly increase power and are going to be driving the end product hard (i.e track days) then yes a rebuild will almost inevitably be required, not least to ensure that higher compression ratios and oil pressures/running temperatures can be maintained without oil starvation etc!

Most ancilleries have been replaced. Susp, ECU, parts of the coolant etc. It's just I'm ready to start the next 'phase' if you will.

The car runs fine but plug 1 & 6 do the usual and foul up. I do have a little bit of piston ring wear??? so I'm told.

The main problem is I don't have the confidence in it that I used to have and am almost expecting things to happen when I use it.

The thought is if I can save up and afford to rebuild it I might as well rather than let the money sit there or get spent on something else.

Im rebuilding mine at the moment,i managed to get a brand new OEM block and pistons for 399! its a 2.8 but that 1mm does not make a dent,but with everything ive put into it including the chains bearings,pump ect it will stand me around £900 and im a mechanic that has a workshop to my disposil.

I would hate to think of how much it would cost for a full rebuild from a garage! but might you not be better off getting a recond short engine and building it up your self? but i dont know your mecahnical skills?

As for strenght a set of ARP head and rod bolts is a must,and being FI you need to think about lowering the CR by means of pistons or a spacer plate,thats all im doing and will\have 400whp at some point,many in the states drive in and out with that same set up run 400+ all day long!

Vr's will wear early on the bores and you will hear it fom cold like a knocking or tapping sound under load.

Hope that helps mate.

i'd face each hurdle as they come, thats how i've decided to live with mine, otherwise i spend too much time worrying about things