Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

Clutch or Master Cylinder or worse?

Hi, Just a quick question.

Jumped in the car (95' VR Rado) tonight and noticed the clutch pedal was sitting waaaay up. Like there is only just enough room for me to fit my foot in between the pedal and the tray under the steering wheel.

As it's pitch black outside and absolutely teeming down with rain I didn't look at it any further. Drove the 2 miles home and gear change seemed ok.

Obviously something is on it's way out though.

Can someone tell me what this could be please?

Is it ok to keep driving the car for a week until someone can look at it? (only do 100miles a week)

Never heard of a pedal being too far up before???

are you sure that there isn't an end stop missing or broken somewhere, possibly a broken or dislodged circlip in the master cylinder that stops the piston travelling back too far, there is usually something stopping the pedal from going too far up.

knackered slave or master cylinders, clutch, thrust bearing or pipes should only cause the pedal to drop or stay down.

Or as dr_mat said :wink:

Shoes too big??

Here! Those are exactly the shoes I was wearing! How did you know :lol: :lol:

Drove the car into work this morning. Gear change is fine, but something must be wrong for the pedal to sit so high! :? :?

Did you accidentally pull the seat too far forward?

Maybe a dwarf has been driving it whithout you knowing :wink:

Is there not a little plastic clip on stop for the clutch pedal that can fall off causing it to sit too high?

I think there is, have a look see if its floating round in the footwell and clip it back on.

Anyone got an ETKA diagram of the clutch pedal assembly so I can see what I'm looking for?

Is there not a little plastic clip on stop for the clutch pedal that can fall off causing it to sit too high?

I think there is, have a look see if its floating round in the footwell and clip it back on.

Ok got a diagram from Vagcat.com.

was8v can you see the part you are describing on the diagram?

:) coolrado we must both have been on the ETKA site at once!

Yeah the diagram's a little cluttered there.

from looking round on the net it looks like the link from the clutch pedal to the master cylinder under the rubber boot is threaded and adjustable to set the possition of the pedal, is it possible the lock nut may have come loose and its wound itself out a bit?

Pulled the under-dash trim off. Similar to the fault was8v linked to, my the pedal is coming right up and stopping on the metal frame of the pedal box. With the trim on, it stops on the back of the little plastic shelf under the steering column.

boostmonkey thanks for the offer. Could you take a look at your setup and tell me if there is a plastic stop or something normally on the frame where I've described.

Drove the car again at lunchtime and gear-change is fine.

Found an old thread from Mr. Cheesewire describing the same thing.

The metal pedal stop had bent over the years. Bent it back, all ok now.

Pedal high no more! :salute:

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

SOunds like you've been giving the clutch pedal a bit of left thigh abuse!

Make sure that stop doesn't fatigue and break off else you'll have to buy my pedal cluster :lol: :cuckoo: