Sign in to follow this  
bigrichi

removing a head unit

hi guys,

as the title suggests really.

i got my car a few weeks ago and it is fitted with an LG head unit.

however i am having a couple of problems with it. whenever i turn the ignition off all the radio stations are lost.

also the spoiler wont rise automatically.

i have read through previous posts and think i need to swap a couple of wires at the back to sort the loss of the stations and possibly insulate another wire to sort the spoiler.

the problem i have is i cant get the bl :censored: :censored: dy thing out!!!!

any suggestions????

thanks

richi

you need to connect the radio to a PERMANENT 12 volt power line behind the dashboard, as opposed to a switched IGNITION 12 volt live connection. That is why you lose your stations. You might have to run a wire with an in-line fuse through the bulkhead to the battery to achieve this.

I have no idea why your spoiler doesn't work now, probably something completely unrelated unless you've knocked a fuse out or something.

i am very much an amature ICE person but as far as i am aware i need to swap 2 wires(red & yellow) at the back and it should be sorted.

the problem is i physically cant get the head unit to pop out the cage.

theres usually 2 holes at either side of the unit (face on/off??) which your supposed to slide a removal tool into, this releases the catches on the cage and it should just slide out. As you prob don't have the tool, I think they sell them in halfrauds or you could try sliding a few suitably sized nails or similar into the holes to release the catches which i have done before and worked, but just be careful :wink:

just organizin a photo just now but it doesnt have round holes in the front :confused4:

If its not got 2 holes each side.then it'll probably have a single vertical slot each side in the middle about 15mm tall......you'll need something flat and thin with reasonable strength.....

i am very much an amature ICE person but as far as i am aware i need to swap 2 wires(red & yellow) at the back and it should be sorted.

the problem is i physically cant get the head unit to pop out the cage.

I'm not an ICE person too so I know how it can be. If it's the wiring I think it is, there will be a yellow to yellow and a red to red bullet connector. You need to cross these over so yellow to red and red to yellow.

Hope you managed to get it out!

been tryin that as well, nothin, cant even feel anythin when i push them in....ooh er!!! i sound like sid james

what i mean is i cant feel any resistance.

was wonderin if LG were diferent????

:D :D :D :D

right its out!!!!

key in the side so a big well done to easypops

now i have it out the wiring looks different.

no yellow and red, there is 2 put together with bullet connectors but they are different sizes .

will this be them???

there is a few others which are loose and just some insulating wire around them.