Sign in to follow this  
chuck

16V automatic choke?

Another problem. (though I'm starting to get a kick out of fixing things)

Started the car this morning, it caught, revved and then died. Kept doing this. I found that it would idle OK if my foot was on accelerator. It would also idle OK by itself once warmed up. So I hoked around, found a vacuum hose not connected to anywhere so connected it to an attachment that had nothing on it (anyone got any info on all the vacuum system? - its all very different from my scirocco). This didn't help in the slightest.

Then I found what looked to be a thermostat type thing under the throttle housing. Is this the automatic choke? Is it supposed to press on the throttle to open it slightly when cold, then relax and let it close when hot? Cuz if I'm right, then mine is broke as its relaxed all the time. Also, how much is one? Mines going to mechanic tomorrow for clutch, and I know I'll get one from scrap yard for about a fiver, so I don't want him to go and replace it if its going to cost me loads.

Cheers

False alarm, turns out it was the loose vacuum hose. Must've knocked it loose when using the 10K spray.

Still don't know what the bit under the throttle does. It didn't make any difference when I took it off. Doesn't make any difference now its back on. :scratch:

Bet you it still costs about £40 though!!! :lol:

If a 16V is reluctant idle when cold, this is certainly indicative of a failed cold start injector. This is the case on the 1.8 16V but not sure about the 2.0. The cold start injector is blue and lives on the end of the plenum chamber. A simple test is to remove the injector, place it in a glass jar and start the car from stone cold. No juice = no cold idling! The injector itself doesn't actually fail, but rather it's earth corrodes. The earth is shared with some others on the inner wing somewhere, can't remember exactly.

If it's not that, try belting the idle valve with a hammer, this usually frees them off.

Check all your hoses for cracks, splits and loose fitment.

The round thing under the throttle body could be a damper. VR6s have them and it basically 'catches' the throttle linkage and lowers it to rest gently. If not that, are there any electrical connections going to it? Might be a full throttle enrichment valve. It's been a while since tinkering with a 16v, so apologies for any errors.

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

Thanks Kev.

Mine now seems to idle nicely - i took it for a damn good hour long thrash last night and it seems to have done it the world of good! Im still going to check all of my hoses tho, just to be on the same side. Also, it needs a light throttle to start it in the morning, when it should start without throttle...

Cheers mate.

Dave