Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

Windscreen Trim - Part no's required

Just had my windscreen replaced today.

The plastic trim along the bottom of the screen had been glued on during a previous windscreen replacement and as a result came off in pieces.

Can someone please post up the part numbers for the trim and the clips that hold it on.

Normally I would just call Volkswagen and explain what I want. But I'm in Southern Belgium and my French isn't good enough for complicated stuff like this.

536853829 03C (passenger side one) 536853845 03C centre part, 536853830 03C (drivers side one)

clips and gromets you need are 535853832A 03C and 535853837 think when i did mine there were 10 of each

536853829 03C (passenger side one) 536853845 03C centre part, 536853830 03C (drivers side one)

clips and gromets you need are 535853832A 03C and 535853837 think when i did mine there were 10 of each

Great! :clap:

Thanks very much! 8)

Hey, did you purchase the trims from vw?? and how much did they set you back?? Im replacing my windscreen very shortly and i will probably need the trim as mine seems to be glued down tight aswell. cheers

They're probably meant to come with a new screen if you order it from VW. But these windscreen fitting places normally just order a screen and that's it. I had to ask them to order the trim that goes around the outside of the screen. Guess I should have asked them to order the other bits too.

Priced these up at my local Stealers on Saturday as the drivers side piece is broken and not much difference in price to GPC once you've also added postage:-

Centre strip - £32

Both end strips - £21 plus vat

Didn't know about the clips and have a nasty suspicion that mine is securely glued on as well.

Any tips when doing this job?

Had my new windcreen put in today, had it done at rac windcreens and they seem to have done a good job. They said they could get the three trims off intact and i didn't need to buy new ones, and they did get them off. Don't know how they did. They did tell me to buy the rubber seal that goes around the windcreen as it would be cheaper for me to buy it than them, which was nice of them. Car looks a whole lot better with the clean, chip and scratch free windscreen. They got me a sekurit one with the green top tint, a lot better than the plain one i had in before.

Not quite sure how you could get the trim cheaper than them. Surely they have a trade account with VW?

So on-top of your £50 glass excess you now have to buy the trim too! :mad2: :confused4: :nono:

Not so impressed with RAC Windscreens then. How come we have to do their job when ordering the bits? They should know not just to turn up with a screen. :brickwall:

At least you got the nice Sekurit top-tint screen and not the (rumour) crappy Pilkington one. 8) 8)

They have to put their percentage on the rubber he said so would be cheaper to buy it myself. I couldnt go through insurance because i dont have fully comp, only 21with 0 ncb as ive always been a named driver so fully comp was way high!

Priced these up at my local Stealers on Saturday as the drivers side piece is broken and not much difference in price to GPC once you've also added postage:-

Centre strip - £32

Both end strips - £21 plus vat

Didn't know about the clips and have a nasty suspicion that mine is securely glued on as well.

Any tips when doing this job?

The bloke used what I can only describe as a big cheesewire which he slipped under the trim and used to saw the glue away.

(Hope that makes sense)

Ah! Got ya. Expensive job then!

How much was the screen?

Yea not too expensive, had some silly quotes! 750 quid was the dearest! ended up costing me just shy of 300 quid. That was with the fitting and everything included, don't know how much the actual screen was as it doesnt say on the receipt.

The bloke used what I can only describe as a big cheesewire which he slipped under the trim and used to saw the glue away.

(Hope that makes sense)

Yep cheesewire is the way to do it. I've had 2 screens in 6 months (one on each car...) and have got quite a rapport going with the senior fitter at RAC windscreens Sheffield. Would recommend Simon to anyone interested. :notworthy:

Using cheesewire is more difficult (for the fitter) than cutting with a blade but is more gentle on the car. If you want to be a pain when asking about booking a Corrado in for a screen ask which they will use. Many fitters can't be bothered with the extra time and effort a cheesewire requires.

I've just had the Storm done (after being very pleased with the time and attention given over the 8v) and saw first hand what long term damage can be done when a blade is used and it cuts through the paint. :bad-words:

The 8v had 165k miles when it had it's new screen and I think it was the first time ever replaced. The fitter called me through to see the condition of the paint under the screen and it was as fresh as the day it was painted. The Storm however..... had been hacked at with a blade at some time in it's life and had to be flatbedded to a paint shop for some serious attention!! :cry:

Oh and they reused the original trim having taken if off very carefully (it's all in the prep you know :wink: ) though I did supply a few clips and grommets as the parts had been stuck down last time.

Oh, and one more worrying thing....... you would never know what's going on under the windscreen seal without peeling the trim out from the edges and top and even then you wouldn't of seen the half of it.

WS 19.JPG[/attachment:oitdax91]