Sign in to follow this  
CTWG60

Neuspeed Short Shift Kit

I think the general consensus is stay away from them, see if dieselgeek still do them.

It's the B&M one that's notchy and horrible.

The Neuspeed one is a proper bit of kit. Expensive though.

I think the general consensus is stay away from them, see if dieselgeek still do them.

Have you got one on your car?

Nope, not on the Corrado.

Had Neuspeed shifters (and other parts made by them) on my other VWs and the quality and functionality has always been c0ck on.

Nope, not on the Corrado.

Had Neuspeed shifters (and other parts made by them) on my other VWs and the quality and functionality has always been c0ck on.

To be honest it looks like the only oem type short shifter available that doesn't require you to strip down or modify an existing shifter. I've found them delivered from the US for around £200 but this does not not included the b'stard tax mans cut. I'll add it to the list of things to do one day. Hoping they are just a tighter version of the current shifter but with less throw and slightly more effort required as the only down side.

I thought afterwards i was wrong but was not sure still so ta muchly for the correction. :salute:

I've bought/fitted a neuspeed shifter......probably from the same place you got your price (MJM). They are a good place to deal with. I fly to the USA a lot so had it delivered to my hotel and brought it back with me. Just under the £145 taxable amount too! I would offer to help with importing one but I have a set of wheels to bring back as well as a speaker kit so thats my USA trips covered for the next few months.

Anyway, the shift kit quality is excellent. The result is a bit notchy with the standard gearknob but feels great with a heavier aluminium one. I've got a Trimsport gearknob on mine. Be aware the fitting of this kit requires the dropping of the exhaust and will be pricey if getting it done by professionals. I was having the exhaust changed anyway so this didn't matter.

Any other questions I can help with just ask.

Regards

Kevin

I've bought/fitted a neuspeed shifter......probably from the same place you got your price (MJM). They are a good place to deal with. I fly to the USA a lot so had it delivered to my hotel and brought it back with me. Just under the £145 taxable amount too! I would offer to help with importing one but I have a set of wheels to bring back as well as a speaker kit so thats my USA trips covered for the next few months.

Anyway, the shift kit quality is excellent. The result is a bit notchy with the standard gearknob but feels great with a heavier aluminium one. I've got a Trimsport gearknob on mine. Be aware the fitting of this kit requires the dropping of the exhaust and will be pricey if getting it done by professionals. I was having the exhaust changed anyway so this didn't matter.

Any other questions I can help with just ask.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks for that. I won't be doing it till next year so if I get stuck I'll be sure to be in touch. :salute:

or alternatively get a passat gearlever plate (the bit with the ball on the bottom for connecting the shift cable) cut about 10mm out of it's depth and weld the two halves together and you have about 25% reduction in throw.

total cost, fiver for the plate second hand (at most) and a beer for someone to weld the bits together.

or alternatively get a passat gearlever plate (the bit with the ball on the bottom for connecting the shift cable) cut about 10mm out of it's depth and weld the two halves together and you have about 25% reduction in throw.

total cost, fiver for the plate second hand (at most) and a beer for someone to weld the bits together.

That sounds easy! but I bet it ain't! :D

Looking at the pic from the Neuspeed site it's basically VW bits anyway,but with their own plate, which is the same as cutting down a passat plate.

In fact a substantial part of the cost will be for identical parts you'll already have on your car anyway, just buy some new bushes from VW for about 4 quid.

It's not like they've redesigned the whole mechanism, and if you want reduced selection movement (left/right) then a dieselgeek-like mod of an early shift tower cable connector pin welded to the head of a bolt and mated up to the later Corrado shift tower lever will give about 1/3 less travel. I don't recommend this as the later Corrado shift towers make it fairly close anyway.

Looking at the pic from the Neuspeed site it's basically VW bits anyway,but with their own plate, which is the same as cutting down a passat plate.

In fact a substantial part of the cost will be for identical parts you'll already have on your car anyway, just buy some new bushes from VW for about 4 quid.

It's not like they've redesigned the whole mechanism, and if you want reduced selection movement (left/right) then a dieselgeek-like mod of an early shift tower cable connector pin welded to the head of a bolt and mated up to the later Corrado shift tower lever will give about 1/3 less travel. I don't recommend this as the later Corrado shift towers make it fairly close anyway.

I've got a shifter and cables in the garage so I'll take a look at it and see if I can understand what you mean, but I really don't think for someone who isn't familiar with the shifters mechanism that it would be easy to do what you suggest first time out I can imagine a lot of testing would need doing and considering the exhaust is in the way I think if you can get one cheap enough from america that would be best. If I thought I'd enjoy playing around trying to get it right then I'd go for it but I wouldn't, I know that, as I've had experience of setting up one of these standard shifters before and it wasn't fun day/week tweaking it after every jounrney. :shrug:

it's funny, I've always been scared of touching the thing as I've heard all sorts of comments about needing special VAG tools etc, but earlier in the year I finally took one apart, from inside the car to replace all the bushes and it was suprisingly easy, and was also easy to set up fine after refitting. I had a spare passat mech lying around and was interested in why some parts are different numbers toi the corrado.

With all the bits out it was easy to see, the passat has a different pivot point to the C as it needs a taller lever due to the seating position.

The passat part fits but the bottom ball connector is just too low to clip onto the cable end,

see my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66276&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=short+shift

it's funny, I've always been scared of touching the thing as I've heard all sorts of comments about needing special VAG tools etc, but earlier in the year I finally took one apart, from inside the car to replace all the bushes and it was suprisingly easy, and was also easy to set up fine after refitting. I had a spare passat mech lying around and was interested in why some parts are different numbers toi the corrado.

With all the bits out it was easy to see, the passat has a different pivot point to the C as it needs a taller lever due to the seating position.

The passat part fits but the bottom ball connector is just too low to clip onto the cable end,

see my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66276&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=short+shift

OK I guess you've done your research then. :D If I sent you over this shift mechanism what would you charge to produce the same as you have fitted to your car, assuming your interested in repeating the process. :grin:

EDIT: Sorry I'm assuming you've managed to produce a short shift from passat and corrado parts and fitted it to your car. Is that the case or have I missed something?