Sign in to follow this  
paul1977

Help me reach my dream

Hi all. I have finally reached the point in my life where i can obtain a dream. As soon as i get rid of my current car (05 plate astra if anyone's interested in helping out a bit more), I am going Corrado shopping. However, i have no idea what to look for when viewing/testing cars. Please could someone out there give me some advice.

Thanks. :)

The check list text says that headlight for the earlier Corrado are £60+VAT, do you have any idea where from? The VW dealer I tried wanted £180 per light +VAT.

The check list was written a few years ago tbh, it could probably do with being updated :lol: :lol:

A few years ago is an understatement! lol Think it needs revisiting, especially for prices etc.

Try http://www.townsendcarsales.co.uk/22802/tcs.htm, he always has a few, in fact I think he's got a nice 87,000mile example at the moment last time I checked http://www.pistonheads.com/sales.

Ignore some of the 'drama' that some chaps might moan about him not knowing absolutely everything ever about the Corrado, he's a nice chap. When I was there I checked out his Ferrari 355 and his 1 of 6 (despite being on a CAT D) Corrado Campagin.

Forgot to add, you simply MUST get a VR6, if you can't afford one, then get a G60, if you can't afford that...then get a Mk2 Golf GTi 16v and forget the Corrado.

I went for the G60... im defo a guy that likes it "boosted". try all the models out..

Yea best to drive them all and see which you prefer.

It's gotta be the VR6. I've waited this long, i can't get anything else. i know it's impractical with fuel prices and tax etc, my mum will hate it and say it's irresponsible (as mothers genrally do! lol), but hey, this is a once in a lifetime dream.

Incidentley, I've found a real nice looking one on autotrader for £2,995. VR6, gun metal grey, uprated alloys, induction kit. Looks top notch but it's in Dorset and i'm a long way away. If anyone's down there and fancies taking a look could you let me know what it's like. Or even just a quick view on autotrader, your opinions on here are very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Link dude?

Think yourself lucky mate, Corrado pices have dropped quite a bit, I bought a 63,000mile example for £5300 in September 2007, ya ok its got 1 owner from new and full VWSH, but if you can get one for £2500 cheaper - then go for it!

If its got around 80,000miles or more on it make sure its had the chains and tensioners done, having an induction kit on it (as mine does now) doesn't really add any power, but sounds fantastic.

Unless your an eBay ninja, parts can be expensie, and obviously there is the group 18 insurance...but its so worth it :luvlove:

Ok try this website, just copy and paste:

http://www.japanese-car-dealer.co.uk/ot ... 54&Page=2#

Hopefully this should get you there, it's the only VR6 on there.

I know about the inductoin kit, had one on my Gti and it sounded so good :) It's good about the prices but am slightly worried about the mileage. Def want a VR6 but am wondering if it's worth getting one with 130,000+ miles on it. VW engines are good, but......

cheers for the info on the tensioners and chains.

Dont rule out the G60 or 2.0 valvers over a VR6, the VR has a nice soundtrack for sure and they are pretty fast out the box, but the downside if its a daily driven car, is that you wont be able to pass too many petrol stations! and you will find it hard to find a low mileage and original one

The G60 is just as much fun and £ for £ a far more tuneable engine for the money, it can easily reach the same BHP as a VR6 with a few subtle mods/improvements

It totally depends on what you personally choose, but i went from a G60 (Rallye) to a VR6 (Golf) then Back to a G60 powered Corrado, if you get a VR6 gget the absolute best standard one you can afford, or your dream car will be more of a nightmare and a money pit than a dream!

whatever you choose, any of them are gonna be better than a Vauxhall Ashtray :grin:

lol, nice comment about the ashtray. But in my defence it was a lesser of two evils (the other being a seat ibiza in yellow).

The plan is to get the VR6 for driving pleasure and a cheap little £200 run around to get to work.

Hell, i'm trying to get a second job in the evenings to achieve and maintain my dream! lol

Forgot to add, you simply MUST get a VR6, if you can't afford one, then get a G60, if you can't afford that...then get a Mk2 Golf GTi 16v and forget the Corrado.

I disagree with that. The VR6 might well be 'the one to get' but none of the Corrado's are worth discounting outright. The 2.0 16v is plenty fun enough as a daily driver and whilst it isn't a quick as the G60, it can provide a nice soundtrack and an enjoyable drive all the same. I know as i've owned both types!

if your able to do that what about a certain mods low mileage vr in the IOM needing a new engine and KADVR''s stealth rebuilt engine? all in around the 2k mark for fully working low mileage VR6!! 8)

Anybody know whether it's worth getting a cheap (less than £1000) VR6 then getting a reconditoned engine?

If you're wanting to keep that car and the body work and other mechanical parts are sound then, yes imo. But you maybe able to get a 120-150k VR that's had chains/tensioner done for not much more then a grand. Was it LisaK that had picked up a 85K VR for £1500, though that could have been months ago that she bought it.

lol, nice comment about the ashtray. But in my defence it was a lesser of two evils (the other being a seat ibiza in yellow).

The plan is to get the VR6 for driving pleasure and a cheap little £200 run around to get to work.

Hell, i'm trying to get a second job in the evenings to achieve and maintain my dream! lol

:lol: Think i would have gone for the spanish Bannana :lol: anyway......where abouts are you in the country? only ask as I Dunno how its gonna pan out out yet :roll:

but i have just (yesterday) been offered a 93 Dragon Green VR6 Corrado (which i dont actually want :lol: ) with 102k on it and its NOT silly money either, and the absolute bonus is....it has cream Leather electric recaro interior 8) :clap: :salute: now im just weighing up the options, and i might buy it, then decide what to do with it.......if not i might let you in on the secret of where it is :grin: if you were any where near to Kent it might be worth a look if i decide against it, its a nice car apart from some seriously shoite wheels! (imo) and a few expected marks on the paint, it has a private plate too but i dunno if its included :shrug:

Dont rule out the G60 or 2.0 valvers over a VR6, the VR has a nice soundtrack for sure and they are pretty fast out the box, but the downside if its a daily driven car, is that you wont be able to pass too many petrol stations! quote]

I completely disagree with this! Take the 16valvers and see just how much more economical they are. Not much is the answer I keep getting.

If driven subtley, the VR can return MPGs in the high 30s on a long run. I've even seen 40MPG off mine! Thrash the balls off any car and it won't be the same story.

I guess I just get a bit wound up by the whole.. "well.. it's a 2.9L v6.. it's going to be silly expensive to run" thing. Remember that when you do have rather a lot of smooth power on tap.. you don't need to give it any revs at all... anywhere! (Unless you're in the mood... :shock:

I can quite happily make rather quick progress on the way to work with a cold engine, keeping it around 2k RPM becuase of the mighty V6 lump working away.

The biggest fuel economy killer is just that, however. The engine takes a relative age to warm up, and that's where it's chucking fuel in like there's no tomorrow.

You can disagree all you like Mate :lol: im not guessing! im stating fact, i have owned them! if you leave a 6 cylinder car ticking over next to 2.0 or 1.8 4 cylinder one, whats using more fuel? probably very close, but then go like for like drive them!

And despite your comment this IS NOT a criticism of the VR6, its pretty obvious to ANY one that a 6 cylinder car is going to be less economical, the best i ever got from my VR6 on a run was 37mpg, doing 65mph most of the journey, around the towns, despite driving gently with all its smoothness :wink: i would be lucky to get 18-20 at best

So there are pluses to all the corrado engine set ups, but I wouldnt ever claim one was better than the other, there is too much elitism with VR6`s sometimes, and having owned and lived with one for 4 years I can say yeah its a nice engine, yeah it can be reliable if its been looked after, and yeah they are quite fast....but then yeah, they cost a fair whack to run, especially in this fuel climate, they arent easy to work on, and they also have inherent problems that can be likened to the criticisms of the G60 and the valver, for example if the chain guides let go, its no different and probably a lot worse damage caused than a charger going pop!, number 1 cylinder on VR`s runs about 3mm from the edge of the block!!! and high mileage can mean cracked block/burnt piston and a 5 cylinder motor at best!!!

You make some valid points.....

But.. I've never seen under 20mpg, EVER.

I average about 26 round town.. so I don't know how you managed 18-20!

:lol: every engines different in minor ways, but dont forget the MFA isnt a 100% accurate gauge its a rough (very sometimes) guide only..

but if you never get less than 20mpg you arent driving it properly :grin: anything over 5k revs in any of the first 4 gears makes em thirsty little beasts in my experience, the G60 is a little better i find at around 10mpg on the mfa and in real terms using fuel cost/use calculation

:lol: every engines different in minor ways, but dont forget the MFA isnt a 100% accurate gauge its a rough (very sometimes) guide only..

but if you never get less than 20mpg you arent driving it properly :grin: anything over 5k revs in any of the first 4 gears makes em thirsty little beasts in my experience, the G60 is a little better i find at around 10mpg on the mfa and in real terms using fuel cost/use calculation

To be honest, i dont get bad MPG from the VR, ranges from 24-28 round town. I can give it some right foot and it wont drop below 24mpg. On a careful drive i can get 30-32mpg. I think its a bit of a misconcemption sometimes, that larger engines use more fuel, suppose it all depends on how each is driven. I just feel a VR can be as good if not better with mpg then a smaller engine simply that a VR can be driven reasonably with out straining the engine, where as a smaller engine would require more revs.

Whats the official MPG figures for a 2ltr and 1.8ltr Valver?