Sign in to follow this  
maadmaxxer

New to the forum - Need advice

:wave:

Hi, i have a '69 Bug at the moment, have had a '91 Golf 8v GTi, a '91 Jetta GTi and then went onto a 2000 New Beetle.

Its safe to say i like my Dubs and i am looking at getting shot of my daily '03 focus as it just bores the life out of me.

I LOVE the look of the corrado, i have admired them for at least a year and considered buying one before i bought my new beetle as i thought it would be cool to have two bugs, turns out the fuel economy was not the greatest and i did 5,500 miles in 9 weeks :cuckoo: so i did a deal involving my focus.

So out of £55 worth of petrol i can get 450 miles out of a tank in that Focus.

I would love to sell the Focus and buy a rado, but i am not sure which one i should be looking for, i have missed the performance of my mk2 but i also can't afford to be killing my bank account with shocking fuel economy. I am guarenteed to do about 400 miles a week most weeks.

So my question is, should i actually buy one, would i be killing myself financially in fuel bills. Which one would i get the best fuel economy out of?? i would love a VR but i just know that i wouldn't be able to afford to keep filling it up.

I did have a read of the first 4 pages (of 9) of the future of the corrado thread to see if there were some answers in there, so i apologise if this has been asked before :)

Cheers in advance

mmx

Hm - well I drive a 2.0 16v with the KR cam mod (so a fair bit less fuel efficient than an untouched 2.0) and usually get from approx 56 litres of fuel (£65 at current prices) anything from 320 - 370 miles, but that is typically short runs of 20 minutes or less each time.

hi mate

whereabouts in essex are you from?

i find with my VR, i fill the tank up, costs £60-£70 and that lasts for 320 miles on average, pretty much all B-road driving. 400miles a week in a vr6 will be expensive and thats not taking into account things that break etc which seems quite common now seeing as the newest corrados are 12yrs old now

400 miles a week in ANY Corrado will be expensive, apart from maybe the 8v.

Generally, when people join and their first question is "will I be able to afford to run it?" the answer that springs to my mind is a big fat "NO"

They're not particularly cheap cars to run, and if economy is high up on your list of priorities (which it appears to be) then it may not be the most sensible of choices.

... I am guarenteed to do about 400 miles a week most weeks.

you're not going to get great fuel economy out of any of them, only the 2L 8v will really better 32/33mpg in combined driving and only by a few mpg.

either get one with a TDI conversion or expect to spend anything up to another 100 quid a month on petrol :pale:

cheers for the responses guys...

the main reason i do so many miles a week is that i live in colchester in essex and my girlfriend lives just outside coventry (don't ask lol)

i didn't think that they would be the most efficient car in the world, i know a bloke well in essex that would be able to sort me out each time anything broke... i was just wondering out of all the options which would be the best on economy... is there an 8v and 16v 1.8 like mk2 golfs?? i think i remember saying with golfs that 16v are better for motorway driving than the 8v...

:)

... I am guarenteed to do about 400 miles a week most weeks.

you're not going to get great fuel economy out of any of them, only the 2L 8v will really better 32/33mpg in combined driving and only by a few mpg.

either get one with a TDI conversion or expect to spend anything up to another 100 quid a month on petrol :pale:

cheers, i must do at least £60 a week on petrol at the moment.

then i reckon with increased parts and labour its gonna be more.

damn those fuel prices

hello mate, i used to try and squeeze 3-400 hundred miles out of a tank with the VR as a daily, its standard apart from a bmc filter and stainless exhaust and this if i was lucky would come in at high 20's, my journey involved a few a roads, and about half on the m1 which came in at 300 miles a week + weekend driving, when the price of fuel hit £85 a tank then i decided i needed a diesel... just as well as the corrado's needed all sorts doign to it recently :( so in a vr, driving carfully you'll be looking at £80 a week... o and they're ins group 18! but fun 8)

Get your Corrado at all costs, but if you're worried about money then also buy a little small car like a 106 or a Saxo to nip back in forth in. You'll soon save the extra cost in insurance and tax etc if youre doing a big mileage.

Say youre getting 55 - 60mpg in a diesel 106 or Saxo. You're saving 50% in your fuel bill for each journey!

Bear in mind also that a VR is NOT the one to go for if you have a short commute to work. They take at least 20 minutes to get to normal working temperature and within that time frame the economy is appaling. Mine gets approximtely 20mpg for the first 20 minutes but after that (resetting the MFA) averages around the 27mpg mark. But that's with gentle driving!

Bear in mind also that a VR is NOT the one to go for if you have a short commute to work. They take at least 20 minutes to get to normal working temperature and within that time frame the economy is appaling. Mine gets approximtely 20mpg for the first 20 minutes but after that (resetting the MFA) averages around the 27mpg mark. But that's with gentle driving!

Really? i used to have a 15 min journey to work and i'd get about 25mpg... pah its about the same... bad :lol:

forgot to say hello! welcome and i hope that didnt put you off! i bought a very cheap passat estate for the commute and get between 55 and 60 mpg which is as said above double the economy of a vr :D and is big enough for taxing aroudn friends and carrying various car parts or large loads like snowboards and mountatin bikes that you cant fit in a corrado!

Really? i used to have a 15 min journey to work and i'd get about 25mpg... pah its about the same... bad :lol:

I recently noted the MFA figures on a return home from work at 4:30pm on a warm-ish day:-

Distance travelled - 5.2 miles.

Journey Time - 16 minutes.

Engine temperature after 16 minutes - 88 degrees.

Average speed - 18mph

Outside temperature after 16 minutes (it went up as the engine warmed up!!!) - 25 degrees.

All of these figures gave a MFA mpg reading of 21.6.

The journey consisted of trundling along at 30mph with the usual stop-start of traffic lights & queues.

It would be interesting for people to do a similar test on their car and post up the result.

cheers folks,

had a look through the Wikipedia style database you guys have on here, the G60 seemed to have not too bad economy, is that accurate??

i was looking at this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1992-VOLKSWAGEN-C ... .m14.l1318

not perfect but tempting. has anyone got an opinion on it?? or is the owner on here lol

i think what it all comes down to, is whether i buy a camper this weekend at bug jam and it has a tow bar fitted, as my beetle needs towing due to a small person with a hammer making noise inside the engine.

I would then have 3 cars i like

beetle

camper

corrado

as opposed to

beetle

beetle

focus

could be all change :D

fair enough, traffic kills the economy! if i ever went through the local town on the way home rather than around then i could guarantee high teens/low 20's when creapign aroudn in the ques... worth it for the voise when you pull away at the lights with the window open... love the noise of the vr!! :D

fair enough, traffic kills the economy! if i ever went through the local town on the way home rather than around then i could guarantee high teens/low 20's when creapign aroudn in the ques... worth it for the voise when you pull away at the lights with the window open... love the noise of the vr!! :D

Haha yeah I agree. One thing I've learned about the VR though is that it is an engine that doesn't really enjoy trundling around the town. Not that it has any issues but I can almost hear it saying to me "Come ooonnnn ..I wanna go FAST!" :)

If I could use one word to sum up the Corrado VR6 it would be "muscle". 8)

i think what it all comes down to, is whether i buy a camper this weekend at bug jam and it has a tow bar fitted, as my beetle needs towing due to a small person with a hammer making noise inside the engine.

beetle

camper

corrado

as opposed to

beetle

beetle

focus

My second car which is usually used for the commute is a 1991 Jetta GTi, 1.8 8V. Compared to the Rado's 20mpg average it gets about 32mpg. Much more acceptable and I still get to drive a cool old skool Dub. :grin:

beetle

camper

corrado

as opposed to

beetle

beetle

focus

My second car which is usually used for the commute is a 1991 Jetta GTi, 1.8 8V. Compared to the Rado's 20mpg average it gets about 32mpg. Much more acceptable and I still get to drive a cool old skool Dub. :grin:

i had one of those, was totally stock. Sold it 6 months ago. was gorgeous inside.

I think had the back seat folded down i would still have it :lol:

There is still something inside me saying buy a corrado ;)

the fuel prices were crazy when i last looked, and now i no longer commute to coventry most weekends, so now i am looking for something a little less sensible :D

i p/x'd the focus for a 1.9TDi passat and now that i am not doing the same sort of mileage as i was 8 months ago i am now back on the hunt for a corrado :D

Lets see how it turns out :)

If economy were still an issue, you could possibly look at having a gas conversion?

I know nothing about them but just throwing an idea out there.

Neil.