Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

Lacquer peel

Had this with the ex-wife's Polo...

Even wet sanded it back so you could hardly feel a step, kept the cat polished and waxed too. But a few months later moisture got in, and it had started to "blow" again! :bad-words:

Best bet is have a chat with a body shop and see if they can do a local repair to seal it again.

Thanks chaps. The job I saw was on a second hand forecourt so I guess as long as the repair lasts until the car's been sold that's all that matters for them. :cowboy:

I'll take it to the local coachworks. Got a few other touch ups and they do cash jobs for me which is quite handy :grin:

I recently bought the VAG rattle cans and it handily came with both paint and lacquer. Has anyone tried blending the peel back in and then going over the top with fresh lacquer so as to seal it up?

i would imagine that you would need to wet sand it back past the infected area and then fill it

then prime and try and blow it in the clear coat then i would wet sand using 4000 abralon pads and then compund and then polish

thats what i would do anyway

buy that time you may as well have done the whole wing :D

if it aint too bad, best thing to do is gently wet flat it with 1500grit wet/dry paper (flat of you hand on larger areas, finger tips on small edges) but gently tickle it, then use some rubbing compound 'farecla g3' used by hand. tube costs about 8 quid but is better than tcut. you can use it on anything plus the more you water it down the littler cut it gets (tcut hates water)

hope this helps???

I recently bought the VAG rattle cans and it handily came with both paint and lacquer. Has anyone tried blending the peel back in and then going over the top with fresh lacquer so as to seal it up?

I do repairs like this at work, you could rub the peeling laquer back but the chances are that you will go through the colour to bare metal where the laquer has peeled off. Prime the bare metal and rub it down (i'd use WET 1000grit wet n dry), put light coats of colour on trying to fade into the wing (try to keep as much original paint on the edges of the wing where it meets the bonnet/door/bumper as the new colour will probably not match as well as the original colour) I'd put a light dust coat of laquer on first, let this go tacky then put a heavy coat on for shine (not too heavy or it'll run...)

I can give a better step by step if you like, it's not that hard really just time consuming.

thats very true MagicIan, but i was talking about if the lacquer had flacked and had original paint/laquer underneath, original paint very rarely flakes.(normally bad blow overs where not been keyed/ scotched properly).

:roll: A good point though, original paint/laquer rarely peels. So if the original paint is still underneath it would be possible to flat the offending area back and polish it up. There would be a fairly obvious line where new & old meet but would look less obvious than nasty peely sheeite!

I hear that! Spend 5 days a week doing something and come the week end i want a break!

lol i know exactly what you mean, thats why i got out of the motor trade and started panel wiring instead, that way you can come home and tinker without getting too p#*@ed off ha ha