Sign in to follow this  
junkie

New style differential

Same basic principal and layout as the Quaife diff, but it's trying to be a plate diff at the same time, via the central shaft locking mechanism.

It's supposed to cure the no traction situations you get with a quaife, such as one wheel leaving the ground and no engine drive (neutral, overrun etc). Rather than transferring all the torque to the wheel with most grip, it will sort of lock them together like a plate diff.

It looks like a nice bit of kit to be fair. I wouldn't exchange an existing quaife for one, but if I was new to the diff market, I'd choose that over a Quaife..... but only after a couple of years' proof testing on the roads by other people first as plate diffs in FWD cars can be a complete pig to drive, but that aims to be all things to all men, so shouldn't be half as aggressive.

One common complaint of the Quaife is you don't know it's there 90% of the time...... you should notice that one more often.

Bloody hell Kev just about to post up some info i found and you put what i was going to, i see you still know your stuff man.

Edit

So is it a good thing to notice it more?

Less aggressive in the way that its not as fierce with torque steer basically on the straights and bumpies?

I haven't gone completely senile yet :lol:

I suppose it's nice to know where your money's gone :D The trouble with the Quaife is when there's no drive, such as when you barrell into a wet roundabout too fast and invoke understeer, you have to force it into action by prodding the gas pedal. Some folk like that though as it's a "challenge". That autotech one should keep the wheels in check even in neutral and overrun, so you will notice it more by way of understeer not occurring in the first place. In theory....

Locking the wheels together too much can send you off the roundabout sideways if you're too aggressive with the gas, and is where electronic traction control comes in handy.....it uses the ABS to slow down the fastest turning wheel to keep the nose in line.

Diff aggression basically means how much it allows the two axles to turn independantly of eachother. Every time you enter a corner, the outside wheel covers more ground than the inside wheel, so the axles need to rotate at different speeds. This is where the Quaife excels, it's invisible to the driver there. Plate diffs try and keep the two axles locked together at all times, so steering becomes interesting. That's why you'll rarely see a plate diff on a road car with more than 40% lock.

Any more and steering is virtually impossible in FWD applications.

The Autotech has features of both a Plate diff and a planetry ATB diff, but with neither of the pitfalls.... in theory!

Sent an email to the company after reading about it and got a very quick response. When my engine is in and all mapped up the next thing on my list was a 'box build with a peloquin, but autotech are happy to ship to the U.K so I'll probably give it a go. $895, so about £450 isn't bad if it's an improvement over the quaife/peloquin diffs. I'll keep you lot updated if I go for it

Cant wait to see how it goes def keep us updated, i found out about on ED38 in TSR shop they can supply for £550 for a "linited" time only not sure how that will compare after importing taxes etc, also on VWVortex somebody mentioned dont forget to buy the bolt??? upgrade kit too, suspect this is the same thing as what you need for the Quaiffe diff.

my interpretation of the web site description was that the wavetrac diffs are built with the arp bolts, and the kit is for the quaifes :shrug: might be me reading what i want to see though

Sent an email to the company after reading about it and got a very quick response. When my engine is in and all mapped up the next thing on my list was a 'box build with a peloquin, but autotech are happy to ship to the U.K so I'll probably give it a go. $895, so about £450 isn't bad if it's an improvement over the quaife/peloquin diffs. I'll keep you lot updated if I go for it

was that including postage etc - if so i may well be tempted if i don't find a quaife in the mean time....

did you just email the company direct off their site?

No taxes included in tha price, I just took a rough guess at the £ price from the $895 that is on the website. I would think that getting in touch with TSR would be better, £550 sounds like a great price, but i did contact autotech through the e-mail address on their site

One thing ill add to this, as the diff uses friction plates they will need replaced every so often as they will wear. Wether this is as soon as every 20k or as long as 200k though I couldnt say, and would probably also depend a lot on how aggressive a driver you are.

The plates can be changed to change the characteristics of the diff and the guy from Autotech swears they will not wear out for a long time but time will tell i suppose.

Yeah, its good being able to change them, just unfortunate it means practically a full gearbox strip down each time to get to them. Im not saying dont buy the diff, its just something to be aware of.

Plate diffs try and keep the two axles locked together at all times, so steering becomes interesting. That's why you'll rarely see a plate diff on a road car with more than 40% lock.

Any more and steering is virtually impossible in FWD applications.

Does the Focus RS run a plate dif? Test drove one here in the Peak District and the dif was a real bitch on our poorly surfaced roads.

I am also after a lsd and was going to get a peloquin. This does sound good though.

The Focus RS uses a normal Quaife ATB mate. The RS's wayward tugging under power is more than diff related unfortunately. For starters that car does not need 18" wheels and it's suspension geometry isn't ideal for fast B road progress.

It's also very sensistive to tyre compound and condition.

To experience how a powerful FWD car with an ATB diff should behave, try a Megane R26. Amazing handling car.

The Focus RS uses a normal Quaife ATB mate. The RS's wayward tugging under power is more than diff related unfortunately. For starters that car does not need 18" wheels and it's suspension geometry isn't ideal for fast B road progress.

It's also very sensistive to tyre compound and condition.

Now you have me worried! LOL (Glances outside to look at his Koni/Eibach set up and looks down at the 17's he is just about to fit)

Think I need to get some H&R springs at the v-least.

Shame really that Meganes are so fragile and look so nasty isnt it :D

:D

The Megane is an ugly thing, but RenaultSport are VERY talented. VW should poach them :D

The Corrado, like the Focus, is sensitive to chassis setup. Stick to the golden rules and you'll be OK mate :wink:

I bought one of these at Inters :clap:

Its in my newly refurbished box and as soon as I get the time to refit it I will post up some feedback.

Did you manage to give this a good thrashing yet mate! :D

Really want to sort my gearbox out next month and I torn between this and a Peloquin for the same money.

Thanks

Matt

Its in the box and the box is back on the car.... I had a little drive (just to check alignment of the gears) but havent thrashed it yet.

I am currently fitting a smaller pulley, meth injection and my schrick inlet. The plan is to be ready for Edition :)

I'll keep you posted, if everything works out I should be able to post up my analysis at the end of this month.

Right..... well I am never going to be ready in time for Edition so i have used the car this weekend with the new diff, it is superb :D The car feels so different to drive.

The cornering abilities of the car have massively improved, under hard acceleration you actually feel like you are beling pulled around the corner! Not only this but when giving it some beans going through the gears I no longer get masses of tyre smoke, the diff seems to take a split second then both wheels grip and your off....

I cannot compare with Quaife or Pelequin as I no experience with them however I am hugely pleased and would recommend it.

Obvioulsy my Corrado only has 300bhp (so not up to the standards of the VRT's on here) but I have never been able to go round roundabouts so quickly :clap:

Hope this helps....

It definately helps me thanks for that and at the moment im at the same power as you and get the same issues as you had so i may be ordering 1 as soon as funds allow, thats from what i have heard diffs should do, actually pull round the corner a lot tighter.