Sign in to follow this  
junkie

New style differential

Sorry about the long gap from posting Junkie, just re-reading this thread as i'm not sure what to do with my gearbox :confused4: too many options. The engine is at the workshop so i'm just waiting for a few bits from G-Werks and my decision on whether to get the box rebuilt standard with a VR clutch and hope it can cope, or whether I should bite the bullet and get a diff and rebuild and save money longterm. I hate decisions :(

Will have to give TSR a ring tomorrow to see if they still have any of these diffs in stock and cross my fingers I can afford it

Forgot about this!

Good to read you're happy mate. The way it behaves does sound precisely like a Quaife / Peloquin. Do you find it's subtle under normal driving, well, but subtle I mean you wouldn't even know it was fitted!?

Round the bends, do you need poke the gas to kick the diff into action? One thing I read about yours is it seemed to have constant loading, so in theory it doesn't need to "see" a loss of traction before shunting torque to the outside wheel?

Get some big stoppers now and you'll find you have a seriously rapid point to point car :D

Forgot about this!

Good to read you're happy mate. The way it behaves does sound precisely like a Quaife / Peloquin. Do you find it's subtle under normal driving, well, but subtle I mean you wouldn't even know it was fitted!?

Round the bends, do you need poke the gas to kick the diff into action? One thing I read about yours is it seemed to have constant loading, so in theory it doesn't need to "see" a loss of traction before shunting torque to the outside wheel?

Get some big stoppers now and you'll find you have a seriously rapid point to point car :D

Im very pleased Kev,

Yes, you would know it had the diff fitted as I am finding (the more I drive it) I am literally able to throw it around corners and it keeps itself in check (both on the gas and off it) :lol:

I think I may have confused things when I said it takes a split second then grabs, what I should have said is both wheels spin for a split second and then it grabs and your off! This makes me wonder if the load on the plates increases with the more power you put through it?

I used to get masses of wheelspin before finding traction, it used to just bounce off the limiter in 2nd!! Not anymore... 8)

Wow, so it even keeps understeer in check even off the gas where you are effectively coasting?! Now that is something the Quaife / Pelo most definitely does not do! Therein lies the major diference between the two designs then, awesome!

Think I'll be putting my Quaife in the parts section soon then :lol:

I still do get masses of wheelspin with a quaife mate, but then it's to be expected with ~350lb ft at 4000rpm, LOL!

Yeah I am super impressed! Dont get me wrong, you get your entry speed all wrong and you will still end up the wrong side of a bush (or tree if your unlucky) but its a vast improvement even off the gas!

LOL spose wheelspin is to be expected with that kind of tourque... one day i'll be VRT.... one day!

Will be good to hear a report from a VRT owner with a wavetrak diff, especially someone who has had a Quaife

Or dropping it round mine :wink:

:lol: I can certainly drop it round yours mate, upon crossing my palm with silver :D Fitting it is a pile of fun though!

Will be good to hear a report from a VRT owner with a wavetrak diff, especially someone who has had a Quaife

The oppurtunity will be there when I do the gearset, but it will add another ~£600 to the cost :?

I'm not sure any FWD diff will help with turbo torque as you just spin 2 wheels instead of one, LOL, but I'm very much liking the sound of the other benefits of the Wavetrak!

I think I am going for one next week

If anybody fancies one let me know and I will see if I can get two or three cheaper than one!

Matt

Hmmmm..... I just pulled out of the Carbon bonnet GB because of low fundage, and now you spring that on us! :D

It would be good if you could get an indication of GB prices whilst you're there mate! :D

Hmmmm..... I just pulled out of the Carbon bonnet GB because of low fundage, and now you spring that on us! :D

It would be good if you could get an indication of GB prices whilst you're there mate! :D

Well..... I thought I got an ok price anyway.

Coming from the US and price is $970 shipped and includes fitting kit ARP bolts, gaskets, o-rings, speedometer gear ring, and bearings

If I could do a bit better on that for 2 or 3 units it would be a bonus :D

Ok for three units above price would be $935 with maybe a slight reduction in the carriage charge if shipped to one central address.

But I think that is pretty damn good! Anyone interested let me know by the end of the week if possible.

Thanks

Matt

I rang TSR about this today as I'll be ordering one pretty soon, shall I get a price for the three of us from them (Cheesewire,Leonard and me)? Would make postage cheaper if anything. Only thing that could spoil it is that I need mine pretty quick so the timing for that fitting with my engine all works

I rang TSR about this today as I'll be ordering one pretty soon, shall I get a price for the three of us from them (Cheesewire,Leonard and me)? Would make postage cheaper if anything. Only thing that could spoil it is that I need mine pretty quick so the timing for that fitting with my engine all works

Go for it .

I doubt they will be able to match $935 (plus duty/VAT prob) but if they can I will glady buy British!

According to the current exchange rate, $935 = £526, I assume that is plus carriage? When I get the call from them tomorrow I'll ask for the total price, delivered. Like I said before though, I really need mine so unless it's massively more expensive then I might have to take TSR up on their price. fingers crossed :)

According to the current exchange rate, $935 = £526, I assume that is plus carriage? When I get the call from them tomorrow I'll ask for the total price, delivered. Like I said before though, I really need mine so unless it's massively more expensive then I might have to take TSR up on their price. fingers crossed :)

That is inc carriage and fitting kit but not VAT and duty. They are in stock so turnaround would be 7-14 days I imagine.

I imagine TSR will be circa £600-£650 for the dif and £100-£120 for the fitting kit but let me know could be interested.

Spoke to TSR today, he hadn't ahd a reply from autotech :shrug: but is ringing them tonight to find out a price for me, I have mentioned group buy and he was very positive about a price drop depending on numbers (3 seems doable) as he wants to get 10 in for stock purposes. He also said he would add in about improving their market here over Quiafe, so finers crossed they will see us as marketing and let us have them even cheaper........well, you can wish :D

Ok for three units above price would be $935 with maybe a slight reduction in the carriage charge if shipped to one central address.

But I think that is pretty damn good! Anyone interested let me know by the end of the week if possible.

Yeah that's not bad actually!

I'll wait and see what TSR come up with.

I've ordered a 9lb flywheel from Schimmel aswell as it's one of those "whilst you're in there" things!

I also want to get a CentreForce clutch. They are totally different to the norm. The pressure plate fingers operate on roller bearings which massively reduces pedal effort. They also have dual friction plates (normal on one side, paddles on the other) which gives the benefits of both, but without any downsides. They also do light weight clutches!

Vince @ stealth used a Centreforce on a VR6 Turbo years ago and rated it very highly.

Group buy for centreforce and flywheels? LOL!

I've ordered a 9lb flywheel from Schimmel aswell as it's one of those "whilst you're in there" things!

LOL!

Isn't there even lighter Fidanza flywheels, i thought they are best out there... How do they rate amongst you turboheads? :grin: