Sign in to follow this  
Gilboyto

Gilboyto's OBD2 Converted VR6 Turbo Corrado

Hey all,

I was told to register here because of the awesome atmosphere by PiercedWinky. So I hope I can fit in :). I am usually surfing around on the VWVortex, about 10 hours a day while I work. It seems like I can be distracted pretty easily.

Anyways, Ive only had my Corrado since May of 2007, but since then it has undergone surgery SEVERAL times, while the entire time is was my daily driver. I swapped out the motor because of a completely blown headgasket, that had been rebuilt with ARP headstuds and rod bolts. From there I just swapped into a turbo kit.

ATP Manifold, ITS T04S 60-1 Turbo, custom 4" MAF housing, Samco Coolant lines, etc etc and the list can go on FOREVER, literally.

It didnt run the way I wanted it to since I was running a sort of experimental software running it with a distributor driven motor. I recently just completed an OBD2 conversion from a Passat and Jetta that I found at the junkyard. Needless to say, it runs AMAZING now and I am happy with the results.

Heres a few pictures of it currently. It is messy, but the paint, is well....horrible on the hood so it isnt on it right now.

Rollin on Schmidt Moderline 16x9 all around et 25 front et 15 rear.

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

When I first got the motor running it was pretty ugly sight!

DSC04704.jpg

This is what it looks like currently. Sorry for the bad cell phone pic.

IMG00026.jpg

thanks for the comments guys! Currently, I dont have any figures but at 18psi, I am hoping to be right around 400 at the wheels minimum

Correct, its just a stock motor with arp hardware and a stainless headspacer from C2. We will have to see what I run when I get a change to dyno I guess haha. Someone around me with same setup except a smaller T4 is running at 15psi just over 350 at the wheels. Hopefully someday I will get a chance to dyno it!

Yeah 350 @ wheels is in range for 15psi :-)

The stock cams and head become a bit restrictive past that. You can run into boost surge with some turbos.

Mine makes 350 @ wheels with 11psi as it has more head flow and cam lift / duration......and a GT35R :wink:

400 to the wheels is difficult to put to the road though, the first 3 gears are useless, even with a diff :D

Welcome aboard by the way, we love our VRTs on here :salute: :D

I can say the least that I am definitely addicted to the turbo VR now. I have never had a turbo car before, but now it seems thats all I want to do to it. I have even sold off some of my stereo equipment to lose extra weight from the subwoofer and enclosure to have funds for more go-fast goodies :)

Thanks for the welcome!

LOL, I recently did that too..... removed ALL hifi gear, surplass seats, sound deadening etc etc :lol: Don't need a stereo with the sounds a VR6 T makes 8)

I've had a MK2 Golf 16V Turbo and my girlfriend has an 06 plate Polo 1.8T, so I'm a bit of a turbo fan!. I can honestly say a VR6 T has soooooooo much more character than both, and obviously a tonne more grunt too :D

Got any more plans for yours?

I'm going balls out with stronger driveshafts and everything, 6 speed strengthened gearset.....I want a nice round 500 horse :D Prolly only manage to put 2 thirds of it down though :lol:

haha! It used to be my daily, but lately I have run into another car that Ive been driving everyday so it gives me some more time to clean it up inside and make it more how I want it. I have been slowly removing the rear seats entirely and making a false floor for the rear.

Other than that, just a clean bay, and a differential.....thats definitely a weakpoint right now so I try not to bash on the transmission too hard. I want to try and rebuild the transmission myself, but Ive heard its VERY difficult to do....any thoughts?

The only other things I want are racing seats, and PiercedWinky is helping me do a suede headliner and a b and c pillars on the car soon when I visit. I already have the manual belts to lose some weight, and want the aero/mono wiper as well.

haha! It used to be my daily, but lately I have run into another car that Ive been driving everyday so it gives me some more time to clean it up inside and make it more how I want it. I have been slowly removing the rear seats entirely and making a false floor for the rear.

Other than that, just a clean bay, and a differential.....thats definitely a weakpoint right now so I try not to bash on the transmission too hard. I want to try and rebuild the transmission myself, but Ive heard its VERY difficult to do....any thoughts?

The only other things I want are racing seats, and PiercedWinky is helping me do a suede headliner and a b and c pillars on the car soon when I visit. I already have the manual belts to lose some weight, and want the aero/mono wiper as well.

Lets just use the spare bedroom and do the headliner in there LOL. I will lay down the plastic. Hopefully im sober enough to actually be useful! :D

You can always deal with the downtime of smoothing the bay like me :cuckoo:

Any plans of doing Meth injection nathan?

McNair really needs to get on here. They would LOVE his setup.

Yeah I think mcnair really needs to hit this place up for sure. His car is AMAZING clean.

I actually thought about meth, but I was hoping that the AWIC would do its justice, do you tihnk meth would be good just for some added safety?

Yeah I think mcnair really needs to hit this place up for sure. His car is AMAZING clean.

I actually thought about meth, but I was hoping that the AWIC would do its justice, do you tihnk meth would be good just for some added safety?

McNair deff needs to jump on here. I

Meth would be a decent safety net but mostly good for a few more ponies. Mcnair has to be hitting over 400 now on meth :cuckoo:

Yeah get some more US cars on here. I love what you guys are up to and you have Bill Schimmel on your door steps :notworthy:

I didn't realise you were from the states initially because I couldn't see your pics (work block photobucket etc), but I can now and it's looking sweet!

Glad you moved the MAF further away from the turbo, it really messes with the signal when you back off the gas otherwise.

I experimented with OBD2, but I'm going standalone again. Bill is sending me a special MAP sensor and some other bits, so it should be good.

What's your username on the Vortex? I go on there aswell. They can be a bit clicky and punchy on there! :D

To say the least! haha, Thanks for the comments. It is nice to have Schimmel in the states with me, thats for sure. I just wish sometimes I didnt have to cut my left arm off to pay for a part of theirs. It was definitely worth the gains/looks though!

As for the vortex, I have the same name on there as I do here. (Gilboyto). Its been definitely a place of rescue sometimes, if their nice enough. haha.

Ive looked at standalone, and thought about it for a while, Im just amazed at how much better this tune from C2 runs on OBD2 with their 42# software versus the "experimental" sign a waiver and we will sell it 42# dizzy setup before.

Yeah get some more US cars on here. I love what you guys are up to and you have Bill Schimmel on your door steps :notworthy:

I didn't realise you were from the states initially because I couldn't see your pics (work block photobucket etc), but I can now and it's looking sweet!

Glad you moved the MAF further away from the turbo, it really messes with the signal when you back off the gas otherwise.

I experimented with OBD2, but I'm going standalone again. Bill is sending me a special MAP sensor and some other bits, so it should be good.

What's your username on the Vortex? I go on there aswell. They can be a bit clicky and punchy on there! :D

Schimmel is a good man, but he makes you pay for it!

I will send mike an email and get him on here. I haven't been on vortex in a while, I got banned a few times :sleeping:

I just got done building my ECU for standalone... What setup are you doing on your car?

To say the least! haha, Thanks for the comments. It is nice to have Schimmel in the states with me, thats for sure. I just wish sometimes I didnt have to cut my left arm off to pay for a part of theirs. It was definitely worth the gains/looks though!

As for the vortex, I have the same name on there as I do here. (Gilboyto). Its been definitely a place of rescue sometimes, if their nice enough. haha.

Ive looked at standalone, and thought about it for a while, Im just amazed at how much better this tune from C2 runs on OBD2 with their 42# software versus the "experimental" sign a waiver and we will sell it 42# dizzy setup before.

C2 might as well be standalone... Chris and Jeff know motronic ECU's like no one else! :notworthy:

And Nathan, you might as well stick with OBDII since you did all the work, and your tune seems to be running well. BTW did you ever finish scrubbing the engine bay?

I have yet to scrub the rain tray....especially by the hinges the bolts holding them on are AT LEAST 1mm larger than normal because of all the grime.

Other than that, I have NO idea how Im going to do the firewall....hahaha.

Thats the thing I like about this OBD2 business, is that its adaptive software which makes it nice, just throw mods at it and go! haha.

So frame rails are clean??

You need one of these:

wheel%20detail%20brush2.gif

Think about how my daily started:

dsc_0070.jpg

and after cleaning...

dsc_0002.jpg

And do you still have the WHOLE wiring harness from your car? I might wanna make a trade :grin:

0_IMAGE_059.jpg

Compared to what we pay for parts in the UK, Bill is damn cheap!! Your pricing culture is very different to ours. We have far less choice and are used to being ripped off!

There's no one in the UK who really matches Bill's quality and experience. Not trying to lick his feet or anything, but he's helped me out a lot and always takes on board my feedback :D

OBD2 is brilliant, I really like it. Way, way better than OBD1. C2 do some great work, but the software was written for US ECUs and it's for you guys that it works the best.

I prefer to have full authority over the tune and I use a DTA S80. I missed it when I went to OBD2 actually, so I had to get another one :lol:

Methanol by the way does work. Bill injects neat meth into his 911 turbo engine and it reduced EGTs 300 degrees :shock:

You can probably get away with 13.5 AF on boost with the same timing if you run neat meth. A leaner mix burns a lot faster. Ideally you need an ECU that can monitor EGTs and inject more fuel when they exceed 850 deg C.

It's great fun playing with this stuff!

My problem right now is getting some products from the UK... My ITB setup will not fit in the car, so I am looking at jenvey throttles now instead. Pricing is OUTRAGOUS in comparison to what I have now.

and if you can get ahold of it snow performance makes a really nice setup for meth injection:

http://snowperformance.net/

Not sure if they will ship to the UK though.

My ECU doesn't really have control over the EGT's but I do have meth control built in.

I think the squirt can take a 0-5V signal from an EGT box? I'm sure I read that somewhere.....

It's how Audi TT 1.8 Turbos run. They run 14.7 AF at full boost until EGTs hit 850 deg, then it chucks fuel in!

Pretty simple to implement into your Megasquirt.

Jenvey bodies are very well made, nice bits of kit.

Yes, don't tell me about UK suppliers :censored: Getting anything from the UK is just ridiculously tedious and expensive and some suppliers have really let me down with schitt quality. That's why Bill gets my custom. If the UK suppliers can't treat their domestic customers with care and respect, then f'ck them quite frankly.

We've just ordered a bunch of Schimmel's meth kits, but cheers for the link! I think a few of us have looked at those.

Scott at USRT and Gruvenparts.....another pair of talented guys in the US. had great service from them too.

I think the squirt can take a 0-5V signal from an EGT box? I'm sure I read that somewhere.....

It's how Audi TT 1.8 Turbos run. They run 14.7 AF at full boost until EGTs hit 850 deg, then it chucks fuel in!

Pretty simple to implement into your Megasquirt.

Jenvey bodies are very well made, nice bits of kit.

Yes, don't tell me about UK suppliers :censored: Getting anything from the UK is just ridiculously tedious and expensive and some suppliers have really let me down with schitt quality. That's why Bill gets my custom. If the UK suppliers can't treat their domestic customers with care and respect, then f'ck them quite frankly.

We've just ordered a bunch of Schimmel's meth kits, but cheers for the link! I think a few of us have looked at those.

Scott at USRT and Gruvenparts.....another pair of talented guys in the US. had great service from them too.

It can take the EGT signal, but im not sure how it implements with the fueling needs... Time to do some research on that. It would be really simple to implement into the MS box just run a signal input from the EGT box to the MS harness on a spare pin, and jumper the pin on the board.

Yeah I have been eyeballing a set of Jenvey's for a while but I need to get rid of my current stuff first. Trying to get a buddy with a bimmer to buy them as they are perfectly spaced for his car :D

I completely see what you are saying about Local suppliers. I feel the same way about some companies on this side of the pond, if they can't deliver quality then eff em! I have a few parts from Scott, the man makes great parts and knows his stuff!

Schimmel really does cater to his customers. Christian @ EPP does as well. He is trying to get me a wiechers show bar over here and keep the shipping cost as low as possible. He is going out of his way for me!